BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 09, 2017, 06:44:39 PM
It would be nice if Carroll would join the 21st century - no links whatsoever for the ball game.  It presumably ended several hours ago, but still no score posted on the Carroll (or CCIW) website.  Anyone know the result?

EDIT: Never mind - IWU was the away team but THEY have the result on their site!  IWU completed the sweep with a 16-0 romp - that's SIXTY-NINE runs for the Titans in the series!  (There are probably posters on here that could bat .300 against Carroll pitching! ;))

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 03, 2017, 01:34:50 PM
Nearly the entire pitching staff has been throwing batting practice all season, that's what's happened to NPU baseball.

Guessing I could hit .340 vs Carroll.... but I AM almost 43 and slightly out of shape.
Wait 'til you see Carroll's pitching!
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Mr. Ypsi

Didn't check how other hitters fared last week, but I would guess that Titan catcher Pat Mollo was an easy pick for CCIW hitter-of-the-week.  In four games (all wins) he batted .687, slugged 1.750, had 5 HRs, scored 11 runs, and knocked in 15 RBIs.  Geez, Louise ... that's a good MONTH, much less a good week!

He's from Naperville North H.S.   I bet NCC really wishes they coulda kept him home!

mwunder

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 10, 2017, 05:13:37 PM
Didn't check how other hitters fared last week, but I would guess that Titan catcher Pat Mollo was an easy pick for CCIW hitter-of-the-week.  In four games (all wins) he batted .687, slugged 1.750, had 5 HRs, scored 11 runs, and knocked in 15 RBIs.  Geez, Louise ... that's a good MONTH, much less a good week!

He's from Naperville North H.S.   I bet NCC really wishes they coulda kept him home!

also made d3baseball.com team of the week at C.

Mr. Ypsi

Something I can't recall seeing before.  NPU escaped the top of the 4th with no further damage when the Titan at first was picked off on a throw from the catcher.  The bases were loaded, so what the heck was he doing far enough off first to be picked off - it's not like he could steal second! :(

Titans lead the (north) Vikings 7-4.  Pat Mollo hit ANOTHER HR.

iwumichigander

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 11, 2017, 07:41:03 PM
Something I can't recall seeing before.  NPU escaped the top of the 4th with no further damage when the Titan at first was picked off on a throw from the catcher.  The bases were loaded, so what the heck was he doing far enough off first to be picked off - it's not like he could steal second! :(

Titans lead the (north) Vikings 7-4.  Pat Mollo hit ANOTHER HR.
up by 3, the base runner or first base coach may have thought the pitcher or catcher would not gamble with a pickoff throw with the possibility of throwing the ball away allowing runs to score on an error.
Never a good idea to take an extended lead where you can not get back to the bag under any circumstance.

Mr. Ypsi

Final from Chi-town:  IWU 17, NPU 14.  (Yes, baseball, not football. ;))

Other scores:
  NCC 6, Augie 5
  Elmhurst 17, Millikin 6
  Wheaton 6, Carthage 5

IWU and NCC remain tied for first, now 7-1.  Elmhurst is at 6-2.  Everyone else with 4 or more losses.

Augie remained the only CCIW team receiving votes in the poll, falling from 14 to 24, but they are now 4-5 in the CCIW so I suspect their days are numbered.

Gregory Sager

That game took nearly four hours to complete, and it only went nine innings. Neither team could pitch its way out of a wet paper bag. Heck, the EC @ MU game finished 20 minutes earlier than the IWU @ NPU game, and the game in Decatur started an hour later than the one in Chicago. I probably got some NPU parents watching online mad at me by comparing it on the air to a bar-league softball game, but when there's 31 runs scored and nearly 40 hits between the two teams, it's a pretty apt analogy.

Good to see my man Greg Grana go yard with a granny today. He's one of my camera operators for NPU basketball broadcasts.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

For all the ragging I've done about North Park's pitching, I owe it to the team's hurlers to give them their props when they turn out good performances -- and they turned out two of them today, as NPU swept Illinois Wesleyan in Bloomington, 6-2 and 5-2. Brent Kessinger went 8.1 in the opener for the Vikings, scattering eight hits and giving up only the two runs, before Josh Smith came on to get the two final outs via strikeout. Then freshman Matt Pizur took the mound in the nightcap and similarly handcuffed the Titans, going the distance to pick up the win while only giving up one earned run. Vikings DH Tyler Woolbright homered in each game.

I don't know why it took NPU pitchers so long to string together two good starts, but it's very encouraging -- especially against a team that hits as well as IWU does. This doesn't really mean that the Park's bullpen problem is solved, but this is a big leap forward for the rotation.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

mr_b

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 15, 2017, 12:35:17 AM
For all the ragging I've done about North Park's pitching, I owe it to the team's hurlers to give them their props when they turn out good performances -- and they turned out two of them today, as NPU swept Illinois Wesleyan in Bloomington, 6-2 and 5-2. Brent Kessinger went 8.1 in the opener for the Vikings, scattering eight hits and giving up only the two runs, before Josh Smith came on to get the two final outs via strikeout. Then freshman Matt Pizur took the mound in the nightcap and similarly handcuffed the Titans, going the distance to pick up the win while only giving up one earned run. Vikings DH Tyler Woolbright homered in each game.

I don't know why it took NPU pitchers so long to string together two good starts, but it's very encouraging -- especially against a team that hits as well as IWU does. This doesn't really mean that the Park's bullpen problem is solved, but this is a big leap forward for the rotation.
It was a well-played DH by both teams, and according to my records, it marks the first time in program history the Vikings have *ever* swept the Titans in Bloomington.  Game one featured a 2:09 rain delay, and we were in doubt of continuing the contest.  I'm glad we did -- Kessinger and Pizur made lots of quality pitches and each walked only two.  Woolbright's two home runs were legit shots to left -- one stayed just fair, while the other cleared the fence by plenty.  It's the best I've seen the Vikings play in all phases of the game in quite some time.

Mr. Ypsi

Elmhurst and IWU split the DH in B'town:  IWU taking the opener, 14-5; Elmhurst returning the favor 7-2.  They remain in a second-place tie, both 8-4.

Mr. Ypsi

Baseball is a funny game - and North Park showed just how weird this weekend. :P  Friday they play a DH at a team then tied for first in the conference, and sweep 'em.  Saturday they play a DH at a team then in last place, and get swept. :o

I think it was Yogi who said "Nobody knows nothing." 

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 15, 2017, 11:05:09 PM
Baseball is a funny game

I'm not laughing. >:(

If "blown saves that result in losses" is an NCAA category, NPU's got a realistic shot at leading it this season, as the bullpen blew yet another ninth-inning lead in Game One. Game Two was really more a demonstration of how thin the list of reliable Vikings pitchers is than anything else.

BigPoppa

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 17, 2017, 08:58:18 AM
Carthage continues to baffle me.
Carthage needs a "Jimmie Foxx 'No crying in baseball' League of Their Own dugout inspirational talk" from Big Poppa.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 17, 2017, 12:41:00 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on April 17, 2017, 08:58:18 AM
Carthage continues to baffle me.
Carthage needs a "Jimmie Foxx 'No crying in baseball' League of Their Own dugout inspirational talk" from Big Poppa.

HA! I am sure speech would result in multiple parent calls to administration:)