Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

No.6

debacle in 2016-17

Spalding

Spalding's fall last year to a horrendous 6-19 record was totally unexpected....they came into the season losing only one critical player, Brandon Goeing (one of my favorite SLIAC players), but somehow the chemistry was gone and wins were few... though they were 5-5 in their last 10 games.  BUT gone from that group are two of 3 leading scorers, Nick Trisko and James Turner, as well as the probable starter in the middle, James Abrams.  Starting guard Rylan Rowe comes back to run things, and Dominique Ellis returns after missing the second semester last year (injury? academics?), but the rest of the returnees were not up to the usual Spalding level of play when they got their minutes last year.  Will a year mature them?  This is as big of a mystery as the teams that are going with many freshmen.

% of points returning from last year    50%  or 36 points per game

% of rebounds returning from last year   37% or 13 rebounds per game
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

No. 5

Partial returns from a team that was..... not very good

Fontbonne

Fontbonne's returning scoring is just about at No. 6 Spalding's level, but add in more returning rebounding and they squeeze ahead of Spalding in the ratings.  Unfortunately these returns are from a group that could go only a miserable 3-22 last year though surprisingly 2 of those 3 wins were against Spalding!!  3 starters return, 6'8" center Jack Lake who went for 15 and 7 last year in conference games, and two quick guards in Kris McCann and James Wiggens, both pretty capable against SLIAC competition.  But Fontbonne lost all of its depth to graduation along with another quick guard in no-show Tyler Schwartz... no other returnee saw any critical minutes... it's a real crapshoot after the three returning starters.

% of points returning from last year    49%  or 34 points per game

% of rebounds returning from last year   43% or 15 rebounds per game

y_jack_lok

Great work you are doing hopefan. Very interesting and informative. I'm guessing the team that has the most returning and a likely pre-season #1 in the conference is Principia.

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on October 19, 2017, 04:02:06 PM
Great work you are doing hopefan. Very interesting and informative. I'm guessing the team that has the most returning and a likely pre-season #1 in the conference is Principia.

Praise from a scholar like Yjack is not easily earned!!!   I'm  Proud!!!

hopefan

No. 4

From steak and eggs.... to scramblin' eggs

Westminster

Yes, those of you who have been following the SLIAC board saw me say back in March

"How hopefan would rate the returning groups..
1) Westminster   no other team comes close"

BUT... that was before the release of the 2017-18 roster that showed the unexpected disappearance of Romo Tabb (15.8, 5.9) and Sean O'Brien (16.2, 5.9).  With these two in the lineup, Westminster easily had the top returning roster in the league..every regular but a solid reserve guard Zach Nelson.  Now without Tabb and O'Brien, returners are 5 guards, who we sometimes saw 4  on the floor at a time.. Villabalos (quick, very exciting to watch), Cochran and Wands (both leaders, solid ball handlers), Caywood and Shaw (both solid off the bench last year with critical minute experience).  But inside game.. not much Hollingsworth and McCollum both got brief minutes, not normally clutch minutes.  This is a real shame.. if everyone came back, Westmin may have been the strongest team out of the SLIAC since the Webster team that almost won at Illinois Wesleyan....

% of points returning from last year    51%  or 41 points per game

% of rebounds returning from last year   51% or 18 rebounds per game

Greek Tragedy

It will be interesting to see if Tabb or O'Brien show up somewhere else
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Number 3

Quality, but certainly not quantity

Principia (note roster not up yet)

Prin went with 6 players last year, and 2 of them graduate with big numbers...shooter Adaku Anumu (19.4 ppg, 43% from 3's) and man in the middle Justin Ball  (11.3, 7.8).  3 quality (All Conference level) starters return with do everything (sometimes TOO Much) Micah Paulson (16.5 ppg, 4.1 apg, but 3.6 TO/game), Parker Davidson (13.8, 11.4), and the best freshman in the conference last year, Trevaughn Goodman (13.7) (the kid goes to the basket as well as any SLIAC player I can think of...)   The criticals are Jeff Ross, a 6'6" senior who has tremendous hops but just has yet to play at an expected level, and Brennan Paulson, who sat out most of last season with injury... Those 2 MUST fill out the lineup... there doesn't seem to be anyone else...

% of points returning from last year    62%  or 50 points per game

% of rebounds returning from last year   68% or 23 rebounds per game

WUPHF

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 19, 2017, 08:45:54 PM
It will be interesting to see if Tabb or O'Brien show up somewhere else.

Maybe, though both were seniors.

I am surprised they have not found their way to one of our two remaining NAIA schools in the area.

It does look like CJ Singletary thinks he will redshirt at Benedictine.

hopefan

Quote from: WUH on October 19, 2017, 11:28:57 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on October 19, 2017, 08:45:54 PM
It will be interesting to see if Tabb or O'Brien show up somewhere else.

Maybe, though both were seniors.

I am surprised they have not found their way to one of our two remaining NAIA schools in the area.

It does look like CJ Singletary thinks he will redshirt at Benedictine.

WUH, help me out...... don't understand what you mean by "both were seniors"?  Do you mean both ARE seniors?   They had been listed as Juniors in last year's roster.  I do know that O'brien would have been a 5th year senior this year(he graduated HS in 2012-13)... Tabb is in his 4th year (HS grad 2013-14)... I'm not under the impression either got a degree last year and had a decision to make about furthering their education in order to play more....

hopefan

No. 2

One transfer out, but quite a bit back

Eureka

EC would have been No 1 after Westmin lost its transfers, but EC lost a critical piece too in the high scoring Kendall Davis (22.7, 5.9)... Still, look what's back.. enough to vault Eureka right into the middle of the conference playoff picture.  Start with everyone's favorite, Shea Feehan, who averaged 25.6 with Davis, what might he go for this year without Davis?  I encourage CCIW, MWC, NACC fans to find one night to check Feehan's game out, you won't be disappointed.  Add to that another guard who isn't afraid to let it fly, Hank Thomas, (14 ppg), as well as two other solid guards, Ryan McElmurry and Brady Sanders, and it seems similar to Westmin... EC loaded at the guard slot.  Also gotta like Alex Wiegand at Forward.. undersized but hard working, he'll have to pick up some of the rebounding that the missing Davis took care of.  Transfer or not, EC seems to be only a solid big man away from being a 1-2 team in the conference.

% of points returning from last year    65%  or 58 points per game

% of rebounds returning from last year   67% or 24 rebounds per game

WUPHF

My mistake..I should avoid posting after a long, stressful day.

Tabb and O'Brien are seniors in terms of eligibility.

I checked the other St. Louis area (non-SLIAC) rosters to see if either turned up and nothing.

Lindenwood transfer Nick Carlos also would have been a part of this big time senior class, I think.  I am guessing he decided not to the college game.

hopefan

NUMBER 1

Lots Back... and then MORE

MacMurray

The Highlanders fell on hard times last year when 3 would be junior regulars abandoned ship and starting guard Mike Cameron missed the whole season with a broken wrist...so despite 3 returning starters including All Conference 4/5 man Derick Long, Mac struggled to a 5-20 season, breaking a streak of 7 winning seasons in the SLIAC.  Now then, 4 returning starters from a bad team might not generate much optimism, but throw in Cameron's return, and then the shocking transfer in from Cameron's JC teammate, Kendall Davis, and Mac qualifies as pretty well loaded, and to me is the clear favorite to win the SLIAC going into the 2017-18 season.  Cameron is the key, a true coach on the court, bringing 9 ppg and 4 apg in from 2 years ago...Brent Long is an All Conference player (19.6, 9.4) last year, and those numbers were slightly down from his soph season when Cameron was getting him the ball.  Now add All Conference Kendall Davis, (22.7,5.8) at Eureka last year, and you have 3 potential All Conference players... WOW.  Derek Rourke blends in perfectly as  selfless workman rebounding machine, And Marshall Corbin and Riley Spencer both started all 25 games last year and averaged 10 ppg each.  Added bench strength will come from Taten Musso and Judah Renfro...   Mac has great depth, a quality point guard, superior inside scoring and rebounding, and enough perimeter shooting to further make things tough on rival defenses.    Yes Mac.. the kiss of death, a No. 1 prediction from hopefan.

(without Cameron and Davis numbers)   Still best returning numbers in conference
% of points returning from last year    78%  or 58 points per game

% of rebounds returning from last year   86% or 30 rebounds per game

ecreddevils

Quote from: hopefan on October 20, 2017, 06:27:51 AM
No. 2

One transfer out, but quite a bit back

Eureka

EC would have been No 1 after Westmin lost its transfers, but EC lost a critical piece too in the high scoring Kendall Davis (22.7, 5.9)... Still, look what's back.. enough to vault Eureka right into the middle of the conference playoff picture.  Start with everyone's favorite, Shea Feehan, who averaged 25.6 with Davis, what might he go for this year without Davis?  I encourage CCIW, MWC, NACC fans to find one night to check Feehan's game out, you won't be disappointed.  Add to that another guard who isn't afraid to let it fly, Hank Thomas, (14 ppg), as well as two other solid guards, Ryan McElmurry and Brady Sanders, and it seems similar to Westmin... EC loaded at the guard slot.  Also gotta like Alex Wiegand at Forward.. undersized but hard working, he'll have to pick up some of the rebounding that the missing Davis took care of.  Transfer or not, EC seems to be only a solid big man away from being a 1-2 team in the conference.

% of points returning from last year    65%  or 58 points per game

% of rebounds returning from last year   67% or 24 rebounds per game

I'm hoping for the Hopefan curse on Mac.  Good analysis of EC--there is a ton back, this team will score points, sit back and enjoy the Shea Feehan show.  Two other critical pieces could be Jordan Dehm and Will LeGrande.  Dehm is a capable shooter/scorer in a stretch 4 role--he saw limited minutes last year, but shot 46% from 3 in a limited sample size.  Will LeGrande is a big-bodied freshman who might step in and contribute right away.  He's physical with some mid-range game, and will only get better.  We know this team can score, but needs to improve defensively--even a few stop improvement per game will tip some of close losses we had last year.  EC will be in contention for a conference championship.

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!