FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: Subway Alum on September 19, 2017, 04:02:32 PM
It's good to finally be able to take part here as a supporter of a USA South conference school.  Brevard's years in Division II are best remembered dimly if at all.

We weren't sure just what the new Brevard coach (Bill Khayat) and his staff had to work with with the classification change and what type of offense they would choose to install to replace the old Brevard triple option.  The results against Davidson (ranked dead last in the Sagarin ratings of all FBS and FCS schools) and Emory & Henry weren't all that heartening, but the emphasis on passing was something BC fans hadn't seen since 2008, when the former coach brought in his son as a transfer and BC threw the ball all over the place for a season.  The new coaches attributed the Davidson and E&H losses to the defense having to spend too much time on the field--and that due to an inexperienced offensive line that resulted in far too many three-and-outs.  But Saturday against Greensboro (I saw most of the game on the Greensboro video feed) Brevard showed that a lot of excellent coaching had taken place in the last week and the coaching was starting to take hold.  Maybe Greensboro just isn't that good, or had a particularly bad day, but Brevard handled them the way many South Atlantic Conference teams used to handle Brevard.  It was pleasant to be on the other end for a change.

As the Tornados move on to LaGrange this week and into the rest of the USAC schedule beyond that, we'll see.  But BC has some offensive weapons, with a Division I-size quarterback who has a good arm and skilled veterans of the past couple seasons moved from alternating at option QB to pass receiving positions.  The offensive line looked respectable against Greensboro and is gaining valuable experience with each game.  The defense is solid but can't play 40 minutes, as the coaches recognize. . . .  LaGrange will be an interesting game from several perspectives, and I look forward to what veteran USAC fans think of Brevard as the season progresses.
Welcome to DIII, Subway Alum.  I know a little about sports at Brevard (my nephew played basketball there and graduated in 2009) ... Brevard just never had the numbers and budget to make DII work, especially in the SAC.

As jknezek said, don't read too much into a rout of Greensboro ... the Pride will suffer several this season, I think.  It will take several seasons for Brevard to be a viable player in the USASAC, but the coaches and players will learn a lot this season.  Good luck!

Ralph Turner

Scots13

There probably is a story here, simply because he left right before the third game of the year. However, he did say it was due to personal reasons which opens up a lot of possibilities. His wife is the head volleyball coach at Tennessee Wesleyan and they have a small daughter...might be the travel and time commitments of being college coaches with a small child is getting the better of them (which is of no fault of anyone. C'est la vie.)
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

scottiedoug

Or maybe the fact that no one in the family makes a living wage.

Scots13

Per a photo tweet, Harris seems to have joined his wife's staff at TWC.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

Much better first half for the Hawks today leading at Ferrum 24-14 at the half. Both Ferrum scores courtesy of big plays but other than that our defense is doing a good job. We had what I thought was a terrible call for targeting on Austin Washington. HC's feed has been buffering a lot so I've mostly been on Ferrum's feed which has replays. The play was a late hit but I didn't see any targeting. The only helmet contact was with his own team mate.
Chip Taylor back in at QB today with the shoulder brace. He is taking some hits but keeps on going. Tough kid there.
Hopefully the defense can keep up the solid play in the second half.

Go Hawks!

Hawks88

They just announced the targeting call was reversed and Washington is back in the game for the second half.

Scots13

I'm about to puke. Pick 6 NCWC with 3:01 in the 4th. 35-23 NCWC
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

Hawks hold on to win 31-28. Holding our breath at the end with it looking like Ferrum got the onside kick but they touched the ball before it went ten yards so we were able to run out the clock. Would have liked to see more scoring from our offense in that second half but the one TD ended up being enough.
@ Brevard next week.
Go Hawks!

BerryViking92

What happened in the Maryville game???

hasanova

Quote from: Hawks88 on September 23, 2017, 04:03:08 PM
Hawks hold on to win 31-28. Holding our breath at the end with it looking like Ferrum got the onside kick but they touched the ball before it went ten yards so we were able to run out the clock. Would have liked to see more scoring from our offense in that second half but the one TD ended up being enough.
@ Brevard next week.
Go Hawks!
Tough win, Hawks88!  Congratulations.

Scots13

No idea what happened, 92. Didn't get many stops on D and settled for way too many FGs. For a season so promising, this is turning into a .500 season PDQ.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

Solid win for the Hawks today at Brevard. Defense did a good job with not giving the big plays and kept Brevard shut down for the better part of the day.
Should be a tough one for homecoming next week against Averett. Hopefully we can keep showing improvement and are able to get this one.

Go Hawks!

Scots13

jk, you're spot on in regards to Greensboro being the worst team in the South Region.  They've had some lackluster performances over the years, but this year takes the cake. After looking at the roster and seeing who had the ball in their hands most of the game, hats off to the freshmen and sophomores that have taken the beatings for ol' GC.  Didn't seem like they quit or threw in the towel--got to feel bad for the kids in that situation. Greensboro needs to look at the Guilford model to right the ship.

I'd heard rumblings after the loss to NCWC and the rumors were true. MC had a ton of kids serving 1st half suspensions. Not sure what the issue was after the NCWC game, but kudos to Coach Hayes for laying down the law.  MC has a relatively young team, but I hope the team responds and gets going back on track.  MC has a week off then it's off to Montgomery. Hoping we can break the streak.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!