FB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oxy1995

Quote from: OxyBob on November 29, 2017, 04:10:39 PM
Quote from: Oxy1995 on November 28, 2017, 10:34:22 PM
Everyone's favorite tweeting Oxy coach has made his account private. Tragic

I can still read it. No trite cliches or meaningless memes to report.

OxyBob
It appears he is back.  Looking forward to the tweets as the application deadline get nearer.

OCguy

I actually like the design but the tiger is just too small. At least they aren't as bad the Cal Who re-branding that happened earlier this year. Still don't know how much this helps a program that has lost all credibility and won't be competitive for a few years but its a start i guess.

Oxy1995

When it comes to helmets and uniforms, it is a new era for me.  When I played at Oxy, we had plain black helmets.  The uniforms were so plain, they only had numbers on them, and nothing else.  Dale Widolff was so old school.  I remember senior year, the team captains had a meeting with Widolff.  They asked him if the team could wear black socks.  The answer was a simple "No".

Purple Heys

That recalls a story told by Jim Lampley in an interview I heard him give about a time with Bear Bryant.  (there are a couple of variants to this story, but this is how I heard it)

Lampley was sitting in the Bear's office and while they we talking, one of the players - an All-American stud linebacker - nervously poked his head into the office and politely said hello, requesting a moment of the coach's time.  Coach Bryant nodded wherein the player asked if the players - since they had all voted on it and players at other schools were all doing it - could the team wear Do-Rags?  The player could barely keep eye contact and Bryant carefully thought it over before he said gently, "awright".  The player was shocked but pleasantly surprised to not only get permission, but not get his head bit off in the process.

As the player was about to walk out the door, Bryant drawled, "...either that or you [sic] helmet, whichever you want."
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

DFWCrufan

Quote from: Oxy1995 on November 29, 2017, 04:33:28 PM

OxyBob
It appears he is back.  Looking forward to the tweets as the application deadline get nearer.

I would love to hear the pitch, "do you realize Oxy was that close to taking SCIAC with only 30 players, the the league and President made us stop" But we would have been SCIAC champs... so whatta you say, be part of a growing experience... we have ice cream of fridays.
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

olddog

Quote from: Oxy1995 on November 30, 2017, 10:43:08 AM
When it comes to helmets and uniforms, it is a new era for me.  When I played at Oxy, we had plain black helmets.  The uniforms were so plain, they only had numbers on them, and nothing else.  Dale Widolff was so old school.  I remember senior year, the team captains had a meeting with Widolff.  They asked him if the team could wear black socks.  The answer was a simple "No".

Kids today need more lessons like Dave was trying to drive home, it has nothing to do with being old school. So many lessons our snowflakes need to learn. It not an age issue, what Dave taught you has helped you through your adult life. Where do youth today get that lesson "New School" ?
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

olddog

Quote from: DFWCrufan on November 30, 2017, 07:21:03 PM
Quote from: Oxy1995 on November 29, 2017, 04:33:28 PM

OxyBob

I would love to hear the pitch, "do you realize Oxy was that close to taking SCIAC with only 30 players, the the league and President made us stop" But we would have been SCIAC champs... so whatta you say, be part of a growing experience... we have ice cream of fridays.

Cru, you need to see all the Oxy parents sitting around drinking their wine before and after the game. It explains some of your questions.

DFWCrufan

Jack Parkman

Quote from: DFWCrufan on December 02, 2017, 09:49:54 PM
Quote from: Oxy1995 on December 02, 2017, 06:26:50 PM
This is actually worse.
https://mobile.twitter.com/oxy_football/status/937095302523138049

Is this guy off his meds?

The entire oxygen Athletics department seem to have a rule where they are required to re-tweet each team when there is a positive tweet/story.  I understand the promotion but it gets a little silly to see.

Any word out there on how the recruiting efforts are coming in Eagle Rock?

olddog

OxyBob

Quote from: Oxy1995 on December 02, 2017, 06:24:52 PM
He's back.
https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachOstlund/status/937004420729946112

Quote from: Oxy1995 on December 02, 2017, 06:26:50 PM
This is actually worse.
https://mobile.twitter.com/oxy_football/status/937095302523138049

Oxy football is too lazy and unimaginative to come up with something original, or to use the school's own mascot Oxy Oswald, so now any time Auburn, LSU, Memphis, Missouri, Princeton, Pacific or Grambling State are mentioned or pictured, Oxy football will slothfully glom onto it.

I thought I smelled something when I went outside this morning. Then I realized it was the smell of Oxy's desperation.

OxyBob

D O.C.

There you go olddog. Hang your winter, spring, summer hat on Daniel Gonzalez AFCA A-A.

DFWCrufan

hey UMHB is still looking for their one non conference game, perhaps Oxy can jump in with their new helmets and stuff...perhaps the coach can tweet some sort of uplift thought