East Region Playoff Discussion

Started by pg04, November 10, 2006, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bengalsrule

Good luck to the   BROCKPORT GOLDEN EAGLES

Bartman

Quote from: Bengalsrule on December 08, 2017, 03:07:18 PM
Good luck to the   BROCKPORT GOLDEN EAGLES
Turn up the ROCKY theme music .....BELIEVE IT, TASTE IT......overcoming a 14-21 point spread is possible.....the Golden Eagles will fly to Salem after tomorrow for the Stagg Bowl
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

ITH radio

Frank's 2nd ERR predictions:

East Regional Rankings (Week 2 Projection)

1) Brockport, 9-0, 9-0, 0.523, W vs. #5, #9
2) Frostburg State, 8-0, 8-0, 0.502, W vs. #6
3) RPI, 8-0, 8-0, 0.509, W vs. #9
4) Delaware Valley, 8-1, 8-1, 0.475, None
5) Ithaca, 7-2, 7-2, 0.541, L vs. #1, #3
6) Cortland, 7-2, 7-2, 0.514, L vs. #1
7) Merchant Marine, 7-1, 7-1, 0.540, None
8) Framingham State, 7-2, 7-2, 0.572, W vs. #7
9) Montclair State, 7-2, 7-2, 0.572, L vs. #2, #6
10) Endicott, 7-2, 7-2, 0.545, W vs. #10

Others Considered:
X Wesley, 6-3, 6-3, 0.535, W vs. #4, #6, L vs. #2
X MIT, 8-1, 8-1, 0.466, W vs. #8
X Salisbury, 8-1, 8-1, 0.454, None
X Misericordia, 8-1, 8-1, 0.432, L vs. #8
X Stevenson, 7-2, 7-2, 0.512, L vs. #4
X Western Connecticut, 7-1, 8-1, 0.515, None

Note - RRO = Wins and Losses vs Week 1 ranked teams.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 05, 2018, 12:41:57 PM
Early RR predications:

East Region   
1 Brockport 9-0 - .523
2 Frostburg State 8-0 - .502
3 RPI 8-0 - 509
4 Delaware Valley 8-1 - .475
5 Merchant Marine 7-1 - .540
6 Ithaca 6-2 - .541
7 Cortland 7-2 - .514
8 Salisbury 8-1 - .454
9  MIT 8-1 - .466
10 Montclair State 7-2 -.572

Although the committed favors conference leaders typically, I don't think that 2-loss conference champs (leaders) are going to make it into 2nd week, maybe final rankings.

UfanBill

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 07, 2018, 10:00:41 AM
Quote from: MANDGSU on November 05, 2018, 12:41:57 PM
Early RR predications:

East Region   
1 Brockport 9-0 - .523
2 Frostburg State 8-0 - .502
3 RPI 8-0 - 509
4 Delaware Valley 8-1 - .475
5 Merchant Marine 7-1 - .540
6 Ithaca 6-2 - .541
7 Cortland 7-2 - .514
8 Salisbury 8-1 - .454
9  MIT 8-1 - .466
10 Montclair State 7-2 -.572

Although the committed favors conference leaders typically, I don't think that 2-loss conference champs (leaders) are going to make it into 2nd week, maybe final rankings.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I know someone will...It's my understanding that the NCAA regional rankings are not a ranking of who are the best teams it's designed to "seed"(a term they resist using) specifically for the tourney. They're looking to identify their 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5 games within the limits of geography. Teams that have already clinched a bid are going to show up at some point in the rankings. For example in the West rankings Claremont-Mudd-Scribbs is in the rankings despite their 2 losses. Other 2 loss teams are ranked with anticipation of them clinching bids.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

ITH radio

Here's are break down of the 2018 east 1st rd playoff games and some talk about the ECACs and other bowls:

https://www.facebook.com/D3Huddle/videos/493791937807853/

Saxon73

A score has been posted for the Brockport game   ??? ???
" No matter the differences, brilliance always finds a common ground."  -  Stephen Colbert

Hawks88

Quote from: Saxon73 on November 17, 2018, 11:39:08 AM
A score has been posted for the Brockport game   ??? ???
Scoreboard page hacked?

gordonmann

By Framingham State!

Just kidding. It was an errant box score posting

ITH radio

A few reactions to Saturday's games.

- The MAC's struggles in the postseason continue over from 2017 to 2018 (0-5 yesterday). They are now the 4th strongest ER conf IMO.
- Tough day for the CCC (0-3), but WNE did acquit themselves well yesterday
- Nice wins by Utica, Alfred, GCC and Wesley in very competitive and entertaining ECAC bowls
- Congrats to SC, overcoming tons of injuries this season to end up with 8 wins and a NE Bowl win
- Credit to BSU also on a quiet, but still solid 8-3 season, including yesterday's NE Bowl win
- BP playing a lot of FY DBs Saturday, and gave up a lot of passing yards
- FSU still with the slow starts and the defense giving up almost 500 yards has to have Coach Fitz a bit steamed
- Can't wait until this Saturday's "state championship bowl" games btw FSU & JHU / BP & RPI

gordonmann

Definitely a down year for the MAC overall. Stevenson lost its starting quarterback against Del Val and Widener never found its way after an 0-3 start. The bottom half of the conference is getting better with Miseri, FDU and Wilkes all taking steps forward.

The MAC is also definitely no better than the third best conference, and probably the fourth. Unquestionably weaker than the NJAC and Empire 8. A little hard to say with the Liberty League which only has six teams compared to 11 now for the MAC, but I'd take RPI/Ithaca/Hobart/Union over Del Val/Stevenson/Miseri/Lycoming. So fourth is probably right.

As JMCozen noted, Del Val graduated nine All-Conference players from the best defense in school history and still ended up having a really good defense at the end of the year. This year Del Val was a good team, but not a great one and probably not even one of the top three or four teams in the region. They were also a much better team at the end of the year than the one that lost to Wesley on opening night, as you'd expect when you completely remake your defense.

Del Val should be good again next year. They'll have to replace a +3.5 starter at quarterback, but their best players on defense are all returning and a couple of them will be sophomores. I don't know if that'll translate to any kind of national profile, but they'll be in the mix for another NCAA playoff appearance.

wesleydad

3 teams left. Brockport gets RPI and Frostburg gets Hopkins.  I will be interested to see how RPI does against Brockport.  Can they make it a game or do they play like they did against Union and get trounced.  I think Frostburg is in trouble.  They are giving up too many points to keep winning. This will be a high scoring game.  In the end next week looks like a good game.

Bartman

Quote from: wesleydad on November 24, 2018, 08:01:24 AM
3 teams left. Brockport gets RPI and Frostburg gets Hopkins.  I will be interested to see how RPI does against Brockport.  Can they make it a game or do they play like they did against Union and get trounced.  I think Frostburg is in trouble.  They are giving up too many points to keep winning. This will be a high scoring game.  In the end next week looks like a good game.
Agree with Wesleydad comments.......RPI will have to play their hearts and heads out and get something like +3-4 in turnovers to win against Brockport , but Brockport has not been as invincible lately... if Brockport wins by 4 or more TDs, watch out next round, RPI's only chance of winning is on a late FG after a BPort turnover....or can Rueben Clarke put on the emergency brake and stop the BPort train?  I think Hopkins has the edge over Frosty, but this one could go either way. Congrats to all the teams for their progress to date. 
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bartman

Quote from: Bartman on November 24, 2018, 09:07:36 AM
Agree with Wesleydad comments.......RPI will have to play their hearts and heads out and get something like +3-4 in turnovers to win against Brockport , but Brockport has not been as invincible lately... if Brockport wins by 4 or more TDs, watch out next round, RPI's only chance of winning is on a late FG after a BPort turnover....or can Rueben Clarke put on the emergency brake and stop the BPort train?  I think Hopkins has the edge over Frosty, but this one could go either way. Congrats to all the teams for their progress to date.
Whoa, three TO's by BPort and Engineers up 7-0 on a wet sloppy day. BPort using Brown as RB and he looks good but cannot sustain a drive. Still very early, but RPI looks like they are extremely well prepared.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

wesleydad

Quote from: Bartman on November 24, 2018, 12:30:48 PM
Quote from: Bartman on November 24, 2018, 09:07:36 AM
Whoa, three TO's by BPort and Engineers up 7-0 on a wet sloppy day. BPort using Brown as RB and he looks good but cannot sustain a drive. Still very early, but RPI looks like they are extremely well prepared.

Yes they do.  RPI needs to get up 2 scores.  The weather will play a part in this game for sure.