MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: ronk on September 23, 2017, 01:42:50 PM
  On my way back Wed from the MD seashore, I took a side trip to a haunt as a youth(Tolchester Beach on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay) and drove by the campus of Washington College in the process. Hadn't known before that Washington is the 10th oldest college in the US. Spared my wife the pleasure of looking at another D3 gym, though.

You didn't miss anything you couldn't have seen in a HS in 1970.

That sounds harsher than I meant it to.  It's a fine gym.  It works for them.  It's got a pretty great homecourt advantage.  It's just smaller and older.

I live in Middletown, DE - which I'm sure you passed through on the way home.  Next time we should coordinate lunch or something.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ronk

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on September 24, 2017, 07:04:27 AM
  On my way back Wed from the MD seashore, I took a side trip to a haunt as a youth(Tolchester Beach on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake Bay) and drove by the campus of Washington College in the process. Hadn't known before that Washington is the 10th oldest college in the US. Spared my wife the pleasure of looking at another D3 gym, though.

That sounds harsher than I meant it to.  It's a fine gym.  It works for them.  It's got a pretty great homecourt advantage.  It's just smaller and older.

I live in Middletown, DE - which I'm sure you passed through on the way home.  Next time we should coordinate lunch or something.

No, it was back across the Bay Bridge for me since I live in your wife's high school area(Magruder - recalling from a previous chat board exchange). I'll keep the offer in mind if I'll be in the Middletown(DE) area in the future.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: ronk on September 24, 2017, 09:55:39 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on September 24, 2017, 07:04:27 AM

No, it was back across the Bay Bridge for me since I live in your wife's high school area(Magruder - recalling from a previous chat board exchange). I'll keep the offer in mind if I'll be in the Middletown(DE) area in the future.

Right.  I forgot you don't live in Scranton, you just live Scranton.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Pat Coleman

Hank -- I'm sure that you meant that post that I've removed as a joke but we kinda take allegations and the Terms of Service pretty seriously around here. Don't repeat that.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Reserved Seat

F&M has posted a list of its new freshmen.

GoDiplomats

Quote from: Reserved Seat on October 04, 2017, 05:00:41 PM
F&M has posted a list of its new freshmen.

Really deep class this year!! Hoping the best for the guys with the departure of Fed, Tate, Osley, and Owana after this year. With this guard-heavy class, I'm interested to see who spells the often injured Tate. Mike Rice didn't seem like much all of last year and the highlights from the Les Thomas kid seems to show him as a big athletic guard. Williams, at this point, seems to be the clearcut player to have a similar role as Fed, who I am expecting to have a HUGE year.

I can see GRod going with a start line-up of Tate, Fed, Slyka, McGrath and Ben (that tall no way you can't start him).

Given Robinson recent track record with player retention (i.e.: Gordon Rogo, Matt Wilson, Joe Krong and Wynn Miller to name a few),  hopefully, he can get most of these guys to stay for the long haul. 

LET'S GO DIPS!!!! So sxcited for the season to start up again!

Red Onwuatuegwu

@GoDiplomats Plenty of reasons for the Dips to be excited this year! After thinking about last year and analyzing some of the recruits coming in I anticipate F&M, Swat, Dickinson, Ursinus, and good ole Johns Hopkins to round out our 5 playoff teams. This is the same as last years playoff teams because I just don't see anybody stepping up and knocking out one of those teams. I like Ursinus to really make a push this year. They battled tough last year and this program has been on the rise. Word has it they have a philly catholic league stud who can flat out ball. With him, Quattro, Williams, Big Joe, and please don't touch my raf, I see them right in the hunt for a conference championship.

Hank Mardukas

Hanks prediction for Freshman of the year:

Not many of you may know this name, but I guarantee you all will by week 2 in the Cent. Yes, I am talking about Riverside's own Eric Shun. Shun is entering into his freshman year at McDaniel and is a Prime Time Player. Shun plays a lot bigger than the size he is listed at. I expect him to average 10 and 10 this year. Calling it now, Freshman of the year!
And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

Gabriel

The Ursinus men's hoops schedule is posted. Bears open at the Lebanon Valley tip off tournament against the College of Staten Island and then play either LVC or the College of New Rochelle.  They play in the Catholic winter tourney in late December against Marymount and then either Catholic or Vassar.  Other non league games are at Rosemont and Scranton and at home against Widener.  Also, of note, the Bears play Gettysburg at the Palestra on Sunday January 14 in a league game.  January 14 will be a full day of Centennial Conference hoops and I hope to be there.

Reserved Seat

I don't see Ben starting for F&M this year--tall, but raw.

Gabriel

Many of you old timers won't recognize the Ursinus bench this year.  As recently as 2013-14 the Bears dressed as few as 7 or 8 players and played a skinny 6'6" guard (Ryan Adams) at center.  This year, barring injury or other attrition, they will dress 16.  The bench will be 11 deep instead of 2 or 3.  Historically, Coach Small has preferred a squad size of 13 or 14 so this is a change.  Also, you will notice that they are tall with 11 of the 16 listed at 6'5" or taller.  The question to be answered is "Can they play?"  With 4 Seniors and 5 Juniors, I think they will be very competitive and should finish in the top five of the CC.

Reserved Seat

F&M will be very young with 9 freshmen and 1 sophomore  on the current roster.  Only 8 of them are listed as 6'5" or taller.

Gabriel

Reserved,

In reviewing last year's roster, the Dips should return 9 players although I have heard that Stoma won't return due to concussion issues.  If that's true, that still leaves 8 potential returnees----4 Seniors, 1 Junior and 3 Sophomores.  Am I missing something.  Add in the new Freshmen and that is a big squad.  Whatever, I am confident the Dips will be a top contender.

Reserved Seat

The new roster currently has 10 freshmen, 1 sophomore, 1 junior and 4 seniors.  I think one of the freshman should be listed as a sophomore--the list is not official yet, so it may be corrected. Stoma is not on the roster.  Sixteen players is a lot for F&M.

Gabriel

Reserved, 

Thanks for the update.  I would guess the one sophomore is Slyka who along with Tate, Osley, Federici and Owona should give them an experienced and formidable nucleus.  Ursinus brings in four freshman to go with 12 returnees for 16 as well.  But injuries are inevitable so that number probably gets whittled down as the season progresses.