MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley056

Any ideas on who NYU is going with?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: USee on April 17, 2018, 12:56:50 PM
Sounds like NYU has made their choice....announcement coming shortly

According to those I've talked to ... no official announcement coming shortly.

Not sure where this particular person got any intel... I actually suspect there is some fishing going on here. I do sense they are close and there is an outside chance they have asked someone... but nothing I have been able to determine indicates an announcement is coming "shortly."

Quote from: Riley056 on April 17, 2018, 01:39:14 PM

The names I heard in the mix had a wide variety. I am actually interested to see who they selected because it was across the board in terms of backgrounds and such.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

For the record, I don't think WashU is taking a longer time than normal on making this decision. If anything, they are going a little faster than most. Compare the process to NYU. NYU had a couple of weeks head start on WashU and they are apparently now ready to announce a new coach (or at the very least, the announcement is coming soon). WashU, from what I have been told, has finalists on campus this week and could announce just as soon. That means WashU has taken a shorter period of time than NYU (who had finalists on campus last week) in this process.

No matter if you want the assistant to get the job or not, WashU can't just fast-track the job to that individual. They are the type of institution with a program of high regard that they have to dot their Is and cross their Ts. They have to do their due diligence with this process. It is one of the top ten jobs (if not top five) in Division III, I would argue. You don't just automatically turn the keys over to the assistant. You will also get a LARGE number of coaches who would love to take over the program.

In the long-run, the assistant may still get the job, but they have to make sure the process bears that out. If they did it shorter, there would be plenty of calls that WashU didn't do a good job making sure he was the right choice.

Even Mark Edwards admitted that while he would love to have his assistant get the job, WashU will go through the process properly and look for the best candidate available.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

rlk

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 15, 2018, 10:36:19 PM
True, although the Wash U program has changed just a bit since then.

Even quite early on in his tenure, they were serious.  I was at the inaugural Lopata Classic in 1984, as MIT team manager, and it was obvious then that Washington meant business with their basketball program.  They did an absolutely fabulous job with the tournament (which they won); the other participants were Johns Hopkins, Caltech, and us.  They were great hosts and I learned a lot from the experience for when we hosted our own tournament in 1986.  Their brand new fieldhouse was one of the nicest facilities I've seen in D3, perhaps second only to Salem which of course I only saw almost 30 years later.  Assuming that that fieldhouse took at least a few years to design and construct, they obviously intended from the beginning to be a real force.

Edwards of course has had a superb career, but it's not taking anything away from his accomplishments to say that I believe that the expectations (and support) were high going in, and he had to start from scratch.  This wasn't a case of a school with a sleepy program rescued and rebuilt by a coach; it was a top notch school that wanted an athletics program to match its academic standards.  So yes, it's different in that whomever they hire will be stepping into big shoes, but I don't think WU would have accepted anything less than a first rate program from the get-go.

As an aside, we met Caltech in the consolation game (after losing narrowly to Hopkins), the first time the two schools had ever played.  The schools have a fierce rivalry, but not particularly in athletics (usually it's what we call hacking and they call pranking -- little stuff, you know, like moving a large Spanish-American War cannon 3000 miles to the east), but while there was a fairly good MIT crowd, there were very few Caltech fans that I can recall.  We were asleep in the first half, and after trailing most of it, we were up 27-22 at the half.  They scored two quick baskets to start the second half, then we woke up and won 71-46.
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

WUPHF

+1 Thanks for sharing that story.  It is interesting to think of the Field House as brand new and one of the nicest facilities. I wish you could see the addition of the Sumers Recreation Center.

USee

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 17, 2018, 04:20:54 PM
Quote from: USee on April 17, 2018, 12:56:50 PM
Sounds like NYU has made their choice....announcement coming shortly

According to those I've talked to ... no official announcement coming shortly.

Not sure where this particular person got any intel... I actually suspect there is some fishing going on here. I do sense they are close and there is an outside chance they have asked someone... but nothing I have been able to determine indicates an announcement is coming "shortly."

Quote from: Riley056 on April 17, 2018, 01:39:14 PM

The names I heard in the mix had a wide variety. I am actually interested to see who they selected because it was across the board in terms of backgrounds and such.

Are you suggesting I am fishing? If so, you are wrong....again.

Pat Coleman

No, not you. Unless you are the person on Twitter who yesterday said an announcement was imminent.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

USee

aaaah. That definitely wasn't me. I stopped reading Twitter last fall as you know.  :o

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yep. Not you, USee... the individual who tweeted it. I have gotten confirmation the tweet wasn't exactly 100% accurate.

WUPHF

WUPHF

NYU also received a commitment from 6-8 Harrison Whatley.

The Violets are getting bigger and taller.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/harrison-whatley/dY_WMYWZEeW-8KA2nzwbTA/default.htm

WUPHF

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I was alerted this morning of the NYU decision, but not in away I/we could report. I am sure my fishing around for more concrete information may have tipped off "Voldemort."

He once again says "announcement coming shortly." That's short-hand for ... he doesn't know when it will be announced. I have it on good authority, he didn't know the name or the announcement timeline a couple of days ago.

He and I chat from time to time... I may mention (if he isn't reading this already), that on this search he felt more haphazard than he normally does. I don't think it was a good tactic.

WUPHF

I only follow HoopDirt at the end of each season and I know nothing of his business model, but it seems as though he would have an incentive to news and updates more quickly than you even if the updates are not fully substantiated.

By the way, do you have any thoughts on the hire?

Coach Nelson did not have a great record (or even a good record) at New Paltz in his only stint as a college head coach, but I know nothing about the SUNY schools.  It may have been the wrong job at the wrong time and so on.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Here is the presser from NYU: http://www.gonyuathletics.com/news/2018/4/19/nelson-hired-as-mens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

Quote from: WUPHF on April 19, 2018, 04:25:48 PM
I only follow HoopDirt at the end of each season and I know nothing of his business model, but it seems as though he would have an incentive to news and updates more quickly than you even if the updates are not fully substantiated.

Yeah... I am going to stick to how I'm supposed to gather and report... which means having my ducks in a row along with confirmation from sources. He tends to go on the fly and doesn't have to worry about what we have to worry about news wise.