WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogK

Anyone know how Maddie Merritt is faring today? She played 4 minutes yesterday and received an elbow to her face, according to the Pantagraph article. Hopefully no lingering effects, although a bruise would be expected.

iwu70

Yes, I hope Merritt is OK.  The Titans surely don't need another starter to go down to injury, all their depth aside.  Brovelli, Hughes and Sosa filled in nicely last game. 

The Titans still have two very tough games on the schedule . . . let's hope 15-1 still in the cards.

'70

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Since I don't know if it was completely answered... there is NO "once ranked, always ranked" in Division III -across the board. The women and men have the last two rankings count only. There are no differences in that rule in basketball and I believe across DIII.

The ONLY difference in the criteria between men and women is that the men utilize the home/away weighted measure on their SOS while the women do not. That is a criteria that is left to each individual national committee. There are four or so in DIII that use it.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

lmitzel

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 15, 2018, 11:23:21 PM
Since I don't know if it was completely answered... there is NO "once ranked, always ranked" in Division III -across the board. The women and men have the last two rankings count only. There are no differences in that rule in basketball and I believe across DIII.

Thanks for clarifying on that, Dave!
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

lmitzel

By the way, looking at the standings, the bottom two seeds of the conference tournament are locked in: Carthage is #3 and Elmhurst #4. Carthage has the season sweep of Elmhurst, so a 10-6 tie favors the Lady Reds.

Up at the top, Illinois Wesleyan needs to win out or have North Central defy crazy odds and a decade of history with a win at King Arena on Saturday plus Wesleyan winning one of their final two to lock up hosting rights next weekend. Wheaton would hold tiebreakers at 13-3 (due to a sweep of Carthage while IWU would have a split in this scenario) and at 14-2 (due to the aforementioned sweep of Carthage if that's IWU's second loss or if the loss comes to Elmhurst, due to a 7-0 record in their last seven with IWU at 5-2 in that span).
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

Augustana 88
North Park 63

Samantha Bloom: 14 pts
Shaylee Sloan: 14 pts, 7 rebs
Lauryn Alba Garner: 10 pts

Victoria Allen: 18 pts, 11 rebs
Justice Edell: 18 pts
Meghan Stovall: 12 pts
Sadie Roberts: 10 pts, 6 rebs
Alexis Jones: 10 pts, 6 rebs
Claire Kramer: 7 rebs, 4:1 a:to
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Final from Kenosha:  IWU 85, Carthage 77.  I'm now pretty confident the tourney will be in Bloomington.  I'm certainly not taking Elmhurst for granted (and sure the coaches and team won't either!), but we did win at the Shirk by 26.  THIS was the game that had me much more worried (only beat the Lady Reds by 9 in the Shirk).  It could have been easier, but Molly McGraw uncharacteristically missed three straight FTs in the final minute.  Fortunately, Carthage was then reduced to desperation fouls of Rebekah Ehresman - I suppose she must have missed one sometime, but I personally can't recall her EVER missing a clutch FT at the tail-end of a tight game!  And she didn't! ;D

Dee43

Not too many surprises tonight around the league

Wheaton crushes North Central, their size way too much of a mismatch, making it nearly impossible for North Central to score.

Good game in Kenosha as IWU holds off Carthage.  Ehresman and McGraw come up big, and Merritt plays well with facemask for broken nose.  Schneider also with a good game.  For Carthage, was impressed with Kaelber and the shooting ability of Gilbert.  The Lady Reds off to a hot start at 19-6 but the press gets the Titans right back in the game.  Is the tournament location in Bloomington regardless of their game Tuesday?  I realize a loss puts them in a tie, but both teams will have then split with Elmhurst and each other.  What is the next criteria in the tiebreak?

GoPerry

Quote from: Dee43 on February 17, 2018, 10:21:08 PM
Not too many surprises tonight around the league

Wheaton crushes North Central, their size way too much of a mismatch, making it nearly impossible for North Central to score.

Good game in Kenosha as IWU holds off Carthage.  Ehresman and McGraw come up big, and Merritt plays well with facemask for broken nose.  Schneider also with a good game.  For Carthage, was impressed with Kaelber and the shooting ability of Gilbert.  The Lady Reds off to a hot start at 19-6 but the press gets the Titans right back in the game.  Is the tournament location in Bloomington regardless of their game Tuesday?  I realize a loss puts them in a tie, but both teams will have then split with Elmhurst and each other.  What is the next criteria in the tiebreak?

Courtesy of an earlier post by Titan Q:

CCIW tie-breaker rules...

1. Head-to-head competition.
2. Record against team(s) above the tie beginning with the highest ranked team.
3. Record vs. team or teams in 3 rd place. If still tied, go to the next place for determination, et cetera.
4. Road record against conference schools.
5. Record in their last seven conference games.
6. The point spread of the tied teams' head-to head competition.
7. Coin toss

Thus Wheaton would win the tie-breaker.  But I don't expect IWU to lose that one.

GoPerry

Congratulations to Mel Bremhorst, Jen Berg, Maggie Dansdill and Kelly Lawson on senior night.  Thank you for representing Wheaton well and competing at the highest level with class and grace.

RogK

The mismatch in the Wheaton / North Central game was effort.
For example, Whipple, Dimitrova, Walls, Braun, Dawson, O'Neil and Desenberg combined for 9 rebounds in 117:00. That's full games from 3 positions and only 9 rebounds. NC missed 50 FG att, so there were rebounds to be had.
--
Some Augie players really shot well : Justice Edell scored 18 from just 8 FG att and 2 FT att. Victoria Allen tallied 18 from 10 FG att and 3 FT att, also excellent. Alexis Jones 5/5 FGs also nice.
--
Carroll 73, Millikin 67
CRL - 18 pts by Emily Majerus (2/4 3FG, 4/5 2FG, 4/4 FT), 17 by Brittney Wald, 12 from Katie Rossetti, 11 for Rachel Van Sluys; 8 rebs by Delaney Sjong.
MIL - 19 pts for Devin Curry, 15 each from Emily Schultz and Yanni Saddler.

RogK

Wheaton, in CCIW play, shot .297 from 3-land and gave up .297 from there.
A huge difference in 2FG shooting : .505 for the Thunder and .300 by opponents.

GoPerry

Quote from: RogK on February 18, 2018, 07:39:58 PM
Wheaton, in CCIW play, shot .297 from 3-land and gave up .297 from there.
A huge difference in 2FG shooting : .505 for the Thunder and .300 by opponents.

Even with a really good 3 pt shooter in Chantal Meacham, Wheaton has not been that great a 3 pt shooting threat as a team in the last few seasons - hovering around the low 30s %wise.  Kristi Demski has stepped in to hit a fair percentage this year off the bench.

They will potentially get some help in that regard with a certain pretty significant local recruit committed to Wheaton with a last name familiar  to CCIW football chatsters.   http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2018/02/06/girls-basketball-family-forged-toughness-of-wheaton-norths-hannah-swider/af4va7/

RogK

Sounds like Swider can be a nice addition for the Thunder.
30% 3FG shooting is probably a tiny bit above average for the women's game. Last time I researched it (not this season), I think the average was 28%.
30% on threes is the equivalent of 45% on twos, both certainly tolerable.
If a team or individual makes 1/3 of their 3FGs and 1/2 of their 2FGs, I think she/they are doing quite well. Expectations for shooting pcts on the mens' side are likely somewhat higher.

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on February 19, 2018, 12:33:06 AM
Sounds like Swider can be a nice addition for the Thunder.
30% 3FG shooting is probably a tiny bit above average for the women's game. Last time I researched it (not this season), I think the average was 28%.
30% on threes is the equivalent of 45% on twos, both certainly tolerable.
If a team or individual makes 1/3 of their 3FGs and 1/2 of their 2FGs, I think she/they are doing quite well. Expectations for shooting pcts on the mens' side are likely somewhat higher.

I'd be interested to see if those numbers are still in the same ballpark. Looking at the NCAA's website, the median percentage from deep this season is 29.2 percent. I would assume the mean would be in that neighborhood as well, but the NCAA doesn't have that immediately accessible.

I've always viewed three point shooting from the lens of men's percentages in terms of expectations, but it makes North Central's shooting percentages back in the System era that much better.

2012-13: 26.6%
2013-14: 29.9%
2014-15: 27.0%
2015-16: 29.2%
2016-17: 28.9%

I mean, in a vacuum, shooting in the mid to upper 20's from deep is bad, but at the same time when you consider the volume NCC shot from deep these years, it made up for it. The fact that those percentages line up with being around the average kind of reinforces the idea that sheer volume can in fact make up for it.
#THREEEEEEEEE