FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc1983 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 07, 2016, 01:43:28 PM
Final week.

Berry, Centre & WashU all with one loss.  Centre in the drivers seat.

Centre wins conference with a victory.
WashU wins with a victory and Centre loss to Berry.
Berry wins with a victory and WashU loss to Chicago.

Opnions on at-large bids for either WashU or Berry, if they win either scenario but the other team loss doesn't happen for them?
There are only 6 Pool C bids for the 4 regions.

An at-large bid for the SAA seems extremely unlikely.

Currently HSU is #3 in the Regional Ranking. They lost by 5 points on the road at #1 UMHB. (How many points is home field advantage worth?)
CWRU is likely to go 10-0. There is no way that I deny a Pool C bid to an undefeated team.

Muhlenberg is also 9-1 and is in the Regional Rankings ahead of the SAA teams.

Ga_Colonel

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 07, 2016, 01:43:28 PM
Opnions on at-large bids for either WashU or Berry, if they win either scenario but the other team loss doesn't happen for them?

I can't see an at large bid for the runner-up of this conference based on last week's regional rankings.

BerryCollegeFan

seemed unlikely to me as well.  But it makes for interesting conversations.

mck99

WashU at Chicago Game notes. Game time at Noon (CT) Saturday in the Windy City A win for the Bears and they secure at least Co-SAA Championship:
http://washubears.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/20161109rmy1pz

BerryCollegeFan

2nd week Regional Rankings

South Region
1 Mary Hardin-Baylor 8-0 9-0
2 Johns Hopkins 9-0 9-0
3 Hardin-Simmons 6-1 8-1
4 Case Western Reserve 9-0 9-0
5 Thomas More 9-1 9-1
6 Muhlenberg 8-1 8-1
7 Berry 8-1 8-1
8 Randolph-Macon 8-1 8-1
9 Huntingdon 7-1 8-1
10 Centre 8-1 8-1

In SAA Berry #7, Centre #10.  you'd think with those two playing, the winner might jump up a spot or two even if the other teams win.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 11, 2016, 12:14:20 PM
2nd week Regional Rankings

South Region
1 Mary Hardin-Baylor 8-0 9-0
2 Johns Hopkins 9-0 9-0
3 Hardin-Simmons 6-1 8-1
4 Case Western Reserve 9-0 9-0
5 Thomas More 9-1 9-1
6 Muhlenberg 8-1 8-1
7 Berry 8-1 8-1
8 Randolph-Macon 8-1 8-1
9 Huntingdon 7-1 8-1
10 Centre 8-1 8-1

In SAA Berry #7, Centre #10.  you'd think with those two playing, the winner might jump up a spot or two even if the other teams win.
Except if Muhlenberg wins, and CWRU wins, and TMore is finished and has the AQ, #7 Berry is supposed to beat #10 Centre.

Centre might jump one or two, but I think that the SAA goes on the road in the first round.   

I like the SAA as a balanced conference, and my hope is that Trinity wins every year so we don't have an ASC first round match. :)

awadelewis

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 11, 2016, 12:20:35 PM

I like the SAA as a balanced conference, and my hope is that Trinity wins every year so we don't have an ASC first round match. :)

I, for one, welcome our new conference overlords.

Ron Boerger

Who knows, Austin may end up being your conference overlords.    Trinity is not the juggernaut it once was - though it would have helped this year had their QB and top RB not gone down in the first TLU game.

With SCAC football going the way of the dodo after this weekend, the SCAC has put together its all-time CAC/SCAC football team.   With many former SCAC/CAC members now in the SAA, hopefully this is of some interest to at least some here.   http://scacsports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/all_cac_scac

awadelewis

You might be right.    It's a good thing to get both Trinity and Austin back into the league.   Always thought we should have worked that deal when the SAA schools decided to leave.

There is some good people on that list... that undefeated 1963 Sewanee team that M.L. Agnew and Bill Johnson played on is still talked about often on the Mountain.  Was pretty much the high point of Shirley Majors tenure at Sewanee.

DGPugh

my cuzin - Dale Reich was on that team as well :)

keep the faith
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." 
Ephesians 6:11

BerryCollegeFan

A fun game with Berry @ Centre.  Very entertaining.  It was a strong performance by both teams. 

Berry's defense made enough stops to win it.  Stopping the 2 point conversion early in the 4th ended up being the play to seal the victory.  I thought we'd see more scoring but both defenses played tough to end it.

Congrats to WashU for outlasting Chicago in their high scoring game.  Play well this Saturday!

Ga_Colonel

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 14, 2016, 09:15:02 AM
Berry's defense made enough stops to win it.  Stopping the 2 point conversion early in the 4th ended up being the play to seal the victory.  I thought we'd see more scoring but both defenses played tough to end it.

Don't forget about the red zone interception on third and one from the BC08 with 7 minutes left to play!  Killer.  Congrats to the Vikings and the Berry College faithful!

Hawks88

Quote from: Ga_Colonel on November 15, 2016, 09:31:05 AM
Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 14, 2016, 09:15:02 AM

Don't forget about the red zone interception on third and one from the BC08 with 7 minutes left to play!  Killer.  Congrats to the Vikings and the Berry College faithful!
And the two turnovers turned into touchdowns in the last 30 seconds of the first half.

D O.C.

BerryCollegeFan