BB: Top Teams in West Region

Started by CrashDavisD3, February 20, 2012, 08:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: TexasBB on May 05, 2017, 01:52:38 PM
One other interesting point. When the ASC did its internal rankings for the conference tournament they had East Texas Baptist ranked 3 and CTX 4. East Texas Baptist is in the Red bracket hosted by UTD the #2 ranked team. CTX is in the Blue bracket hosted by #1 UTT. East Texas Baptist had a better record in the ASC and overall 18-6 and 27-13 than did CTX 16-8 and 26-14 but is not ranked in the regionals. Again go figure.
Record against regionally ranked teams is a criterion.

ETBU beat CTX 2-1, but

ETBU went 0-3 vs Centenary
ETBU went 1-2 vs UTT

CTX went 1-2 vs #1 South Region team BSC
CTX went 2-0 vs # 2 Midwest Region team Concordia Chicago
CTX went 2-0 vs UTD.

I think that the record versus Regionally Ranked teams was enough to make the difference.

Ralph Turner

First weekend and the weather was beautiful in Tyler today.  Here is my opinion of the "winners" and "losers" of the first weekend.

Winners:

Definitely: Centenary LA  (4-0) Sweeps of Whitworth and Pacific

Good weekend:  Cal Lu hosted Linfield  and won the series 2 games to 1. (This does not necessarily hurt Linfield, IMHO.)

Uncertain:

Whitworth (2-2)  Lost to Centenary LA and swept ETBU.

IMHO did not meet expectations:

Concordia (TX)  (2-2): Beat GFU and Pac Lu;  A Top 25 team should not have lost to both Rhodes and Schreiner.

Pac Lu (1-3): Beat Rhodes  but lost to CTX and TLU.

Any other opinions?

(509)Rat

Whitworth from an expectation standpoint is tricky IMO. Voted to finish 2nd in the NWC but lost their head coach. You'd probably like to take one from Centenary, but you have to remember that at this point in the season Whitworth often times hasn't even been outside due to snow (I have no idea if they've had that problem this year). There have been seasons when their opening weekend trip to AZ or TX is the first time they've fielded ground balls.

You're probably right that the split was "meh." I think they believe they have the talent to sweep ETBU and at least split with Cent, but early season I tend to be forgiving of their results. They come back down to TX in a couple of weeks and I think 2 out of 3 would make them "winners" and at that point 1-3 would qualify as being "losers."

Jack Parkman

I am going to add Whittier to the Winners portion simply because the games they won were often the kind they dropped in the past.  Showing up and giving up 9 runs over 4 games is a great start to the season and they easily could have started 4-0.

I will add Oxy to the Losers portion as they got flat out stomped by Linfield.  Linfield was playing it's 4th game of the weekend and had used a lot of pitching but were able to hold Oxy to 2 hits. Their pitching was also knocked around by Linfield and it looks like their top 3 arms all pitched in the game. Coming out on opening day and laying an egg like that is a bad sign.  Oxy will have plenty of time to prep for their next game as they don't play until the 16th.

We will see what happens with Whitworth over the next few weeks but I do know they did not throw their #1 this past weekend.  I will be in Tyler to watch them when they come back and that weekend should tell us a little more about the type of team they have.

Ron Boerger

Centenary is going to be tough to beat this year.   Basically everyone is back from last year's SCAC championship squad.   Six of nine starting position players (including the SCAC PoTY, 1st team All-America C Chris Zapata) and the entire starting pitching rotation (including SCAC pitcher of the year Matthew Devillier and Kaleb Kirk - both of whom won 11 games last year).   

Westside

Quote from: Jack Parkman on February 05, 2018, 11:24:50 AM
We will see what happens with Whitworth over the next few weeks but I do know they did not throw their #1 this past weekend.  I will be in Tyler to watch them when they come back and that weekend should tell us a little more about the type of team they have.

Just curious, who do you consider their #1? Young was definitely their best pitcher last year and he started game one this season (and he dominated).
NWC Baseball

(509)Rat

Quote from: Westside on February 07, 2018, 10:53:59 AM

Just curious, who do you consider their #1? Young was definitely their best pitcher last year and he started game one this season (and he dominated).

I'd assume he's talking about Smith. Injury problems last year, a little better freshman campaign (2 years ago) than Young had. I should let him answer for himself though...

Jack Parkman

Quote from: (509)Rat on February 07, 2018, 04:17:39 PM
Quote from: Westside on February 07, 2018, 10:53:59 AM

I'd assume he's talking about Smith. Injury problems last year, a little better freshman campaign (2 years ago) than Young had. I should let him answer for himself though...

I am talking about Smith.  It's my understanding that he didn't throw last weekend as a precaution but will be back this weekend.  If he can duplicate his Freshman year I think the Pirates will be in a really good position.

Ralph Turner

Great tourney in Arizona! Great games in the West Region!

Feb. 8   Concordia (Texas)    2    Chapman    3    Final   BX @ Tuscon, Arizona   

La Verne    5    at Texas-Tyler    6    Final   BX

Feb. 9   Chapman    9    Texas-Dallas    7    Final   BX @ Tucson, Ariz.

Claremont-Mudd-Scripps    9    Redlands    14    Final   BX @ Tucson, AZ

Texas-Dallas    5    Cal Lutheran    7    Final   BX @ Tucson, Ariz.

Redlands    20    Sul Ross State    6    Final   BX @ Tucson, AZ

La Verne    3    at Texas-Tyler    9    Final

MIFDad

Redlands scored 9+ runs in all three games.   :o

Jack Parkman

Quote from: MIFDad on February 10, 2018, 04:43:41 PM

Redlands has hit the crap out of the ball but honestly, Claremont and Sul Ross are not exactly the best measuring sticks.  UT Dallas has given up 25 runs in 3 games against the SCIAC.  Overall, the SCIAC has played very well in AZ.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Jack Parkman on February 10, 2018, 06:19:55 PM
Quote from: MIFDad on February 10, 2018, 04:43:41 PM

Redlands has hit the crap out of the ball but honestly, Claremont and Sul Ross are not exactly the best measuring sticks.  UT Dallas has given up 25 runs in 3 games against the SCIAC.  Overall, the SCIAC has played very well in AZ.

And right as I say that Cal Lu takes an absolute dump and loses to Concordia 12-6.  Ouch.

Ralph Turner

CTX beats Redlands 6-4 in 12 innings. Leiferman doubled to lead off the 12th and scored and then got the win in relief, thanks to a DP. Leadership!

CTX is 4-3 and suspicious because of loss to Schreiner. Having losses to Rhodes and Chapman with wins over George Fox, Redlands, Pac Lu and Cal Lu is a good record.

My assessment is that West Region baseball is very balanced and very deep.  CTX still has games against Wash U StL, Webster and Concordia-Chicago. Those are programs that have strong traditions.

Right now, the SCIAC looks strong as a conference. The 0-4 by UTD is surprising.  It is still too early for me to comment on the NWC and SCAC.

Ralph Turner

UTT takes 3 from La Verne this weekend and Saturday's weather in Tyler turned miserable... 40 degrees and mist by the end of the game 3.

Great games this weekend in Tyler with Whitworth Trinity and ETBU playing in the Clements Fluids Classic.

Whitworth and Centenary LA also play at UTT on Sat.

Each of these teams should be contenders in their conference races.

Pirat

Comets being 0-4 is surprising but 3 of the losses came to the top 3 teams in California and Scripps is 4-3.
Couple of other West teams off to a good start. 
George Fox 6-2, hitting, pitching and fielding better than any team in their conference.
TLU 6-0 after a lopsided win last night.