BB: Regionals (Midwest) 2012 Whitewater WI

Started by Ralph Turner, April 29, 2012, 06:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggio34

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 02, 2012, 11:17:55 AM
WHO flies into the west is the big question right now. I still see it as a Midwest or Central team. Moving the Central to Tennessee means that many of the usual suspects in the Central will have to be flown to the Central or be shipped into the Midwest, which is oddly closer than the "HOME" regional. Either the Central moves one of its qualifiers (CCIW, IIAC, MWC) to the West or the Medwest will be overloaded with teams for its regional... which necessitates a moving of one of the Midwest teams west to Oregon. Who that may be is still being debated. Could Stevens Point grab a Pool C and fly west? How about North Park if they earn the CCIW's Pool A (as they seem to be nowhere in the regional rankings as of now).

Potential Midwest participants:
MIAC Pool A: St. Thomas
WIAC Pool A: LAX
NathCon Pool A: Concordia-Chicago/Aurora
UMAC Pool A: St. Scholastica
MWC Pool A: St. Norbert
IIAC Pool A: Central
CCIW Pool A: North Park/IWU/Augustana
Independent: University of Chicago
Pool C possibilities: Stevens Point(WIAC), Concordia-Chicago/Aurora (NathCon... Bubble Pool C teams?), North Park/IWU/Augustana(CCIW... I think the CCIW gets one Pool C)

That is 8 Pool A teams that could land in Whitewater, not counting any of the Pool C possibilities. Somebody (likely, more than one) is flying somewhere unless they land in the Mid-east. It will be interesting to see this play out if all get bids.

Looking at this, and then thinking about flights, and assuming the NCAA wants to save money where it can... it might make the most sense to fly Central teams to the Central Regional.  Because Memphis is a hub airport, flights to and from there are generally some of the cheapest you can get.  Id imagine trying to fly a team to McMinnville, Oregon would be a more expensive venture.  Taking a team like Central and flying them from Des Moines to the central regional might save a few bucks.

It's hard to know what they consider though and this is really hard to make a guess on.

Also, BigPoppa, is Whitewater completely off your radar for a Pool C?

rob

Quote from: Babe Truth on April 30, 2012, 10:15:19 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on April 30, 2012, 11:07:03 AM
Quote from: MIACLUV on April 30, 2012, 10:52:27 AM
Have to agree about the 8 team, not really because there is a large number of deserving candidates in the midwest, but a logistical convenience for the central teams being outside the 500 mile radious of the Tennessee regional.

Agree... I see possibly two (or three)central teams coming in... the IIAC winner(Central?), MWC winner (St. Norbert?), and maybe a CCIW team or two (North Park and/or IWU... though IWU is closer to the Central regional than the others).

I also see the possibility of either St. Thomas or La Crosse flying to the west coast as a #1/#2 seed.

BigPoppa, or anyone else here with insight,
You have a ton more experience on this, so please explain. How on earth can a D3 team "rewarded" with a #1 or #2 seed be flown across the country to play?  Have they not earned the right to play closer to home where their families, friends and fans can have a chance to see them?
A good point, but even better, a great name "Babe Truth".

BigPoppa

Quote from: biggio34 on May 02, 2012, 02:57:26 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on May 02, 2012, 11:17:55 AM
WHO flies into the west is the big question right now. I still see it as a Midwest or Central team. Moving the Central to Tennessee means that many of the usual suspects in the Central will have to be flown to the Central or be shipped into the Midwest, which is oddly closer than the "HOME" regional. Either the Central moves one of its qualifiers (CCIW, IIAC, MWC) to the West or the Medwest will be overloaded with teams for its regional... which necessitates a moving of one of the Midwest teams west to Oregon. Who that may be is still being debated. Could Stevens Point grab a Pool C and fly west? How about North Park if they earn the CCIW's Pool A (as they seem to be nowhere in the regional rankings as of now).

Potential Midwest participants:
MIAC Pool A: St. Thomas
WIAC Pool A: LAX
NathCon Pool A: Concordia-Chicago/Aurora
UMAC Pool A: St. Scholastica
MWC Pool A: St. Norbert
IIAC Pool A: Central
CCIW Pool A: North Park/IWU/Augustana
Independent: University of Chicago
Pool C possibilities: Stevens Point(WIAC), Concordia-Chicago/Aurora (NathCon... Bubble Pool C teams?), North Park/IWU/Augustana(CCIW... I think the CCIW gets one Pool C)

That is 8 Pool A teams that could land in Whitewater, not counting any of the Pool C possibilities. Somebody (likely, more than one) is flying somewhere unless they land in the Mid-east. It will be interesting to see this play out if all get bids.

Looking at this, and then thinking about flights, and assuming the NCAA wants to save money where it can... it might make the most sense to fly Central teams to the Central Regional.  Because Memphis is a hub airport, flights to and from there are generally some of the cheapest you can get.  Id imagine trying to fly a team to McMinnville, Oregon would be a more expensive venture.  Taking a team like Central and flying them from Des Moines to the central regional might save a few bucks.

It's hard to know what they consider though and this is really hard to make a guess on.

Also, BigPoppa, is Whitewater completely off your radar for a Pool C?

I have no idea of what to think of Whitewater anymore. They are currently 6-8 vs regionally ranked opponents which is solid and they have a nice SoS, but I just feel they may not get a shot this year because of their 13 losses...
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

108 Stitches

Biggio,

I am not sure how much the NCAA actually looks into the individual costs when making a decision, but it is in fact very expensive to fly into Memphis. For some reason the competition flying there is limited so the costs are high. Many of us who flew into the SCAC tournament in Millington flew into Littlerock and drove. We saved about ½ the cost doing this. 

I am not really not sure how this is all handled, but thought I would make the point, and also for any fans traveling it is something to consider.

Just Bill

Shorts Travel through their contract with the NCAA makes all the air transportation arrangements for NCAA Championship events. Essentially the team calls, gives them a travel list and takes whatever route Shorts gives them.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

augie_superfan

Don't the baseball teams usually end up taking a chartered flight with maybe 2 teams sharing a flight if possible.  Even if there were cheap tickets from one destination to another, have you ever tried getting 30 some tickets on 2 days notice?  Probably not cheap when trying to do that.

Easily could charter 2-3 teams on a flight out of the chicago area to the central regional and leave the midwest mostly intact

Just Bill

Quote from: augie_superfan on May 02, 2012, 11:44:17 PM
Don't the baseball teams usually end up taking a chartered flight with maybe 2 teams sharing a flight if possible.  Even if there were cheap tickets from one destination to another, have you ever tried getting 30 some tickets on 2 days notice?  Probably not cheap when trying to do that.

Easily could charter 2-3 teams on a flight out of the chicago area to the central regional and leave the midwest mostly intact
Only if that's the cheaper option and it's logistically possible. It has happened, but it's not the norm. The NCAA pays the bill so they get to make arrangements how they see fit. Schools have little say in it. Teams often get split up on multiple flights or have to depart from or connect through two different cities. Just the way it is.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

cubs

Updated Rankings are up...

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d3/regional_rankings

Appears the results on Monday's Stevens Point vs Whitewater DH were not factored into the rankings...
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

biggio34

Quote from: cubs on May 03, 2012, 03:09:32 PM
Appears the results on Monday's Stevens Point vs Whitewater DH were not factored into the rankings...

Do you say that because the records are wrong or because you think the rankings should be different based on that DH?  I believe the games considered are only through Sunday the 29th.

cubs

Quote from: biggio34 on May 03, 2012, 04:25:35 PM
Quote from: cubs on May 03, 2012, 03:09:32 PM
Do you say that because the records are wrong or because you think the rankings should be different based on that DH?  I believe the games considered are only through Sunday the 29th.
Was going off of the records listed for Stevens Point...

bluemoon

Can you guys help me? Do Stevens Point and Whitewater both need to win the conference tourney to get in the regional? Are they both out of the running for a "Pool C" bid?

BigPoppa

I think Point can get in provided LAX wins it. I think Whitewater needs to win it to get in. LAX is a lock. Point gets a Pool C provided Whitewater does not win it. I just don't see three WIAC bids this year.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

badgerwarhawk

What if Point is eliminated and WHITEWATER loses to LaCrosse in the final?  Season records would be relatively comparable and WHITEWATER would have beaten Point four out of five.   
"Just think twice is my only advice."

ShineTime

I don't see how Whitewater wouldn't be in front of Point for Pool C.  They took 2nd place in WIAC and beat Point 3 out of 4 at end of the year.  Point finished the season 3-5 Whitewater 7-1 that has to be a huge factor in who to pick between Point and Oshkosh.  I guess though if Point finishes 2nd in WIAC tourney ahead of Whitewater they would have better overall record.  I love La Crosse this year and what they've done but I just don't see any way Whitewater or Point don't take the conference tourney.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

cubs

Quote from: ShineTime on May 07, 2012, 10:25:56 PM
I don't see how Whitewater wouldn't be in front of Point for Pool C.  They took 2nd place in WIAC and beat Point 3 out of 4 at end of the year.  Point finished the season 3-5 Whitewater 7-1 that has to be a huge factor in who to pick between Point and Oshkosh.  I guess though if Point finishes 2nd in WIAC tourney ahead of Whitewater they would have better overall record.  I love La Crosse this year and what they've done but I just don't see any way Whitewater or Point don't take the conference tourney.
Assume you meant Point and Whitewater?