West Regional Rankings

Started by TitanPride, November 03, 2013, 10:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonroviaCat

Quote from: Bluenote on November 04, 2013, 10:13:11 PM
Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 04, 2013, 08:05:29 PM
Quote from: Bluenote on November 04, 2013, 08:00:40 PM
With so little "cross pollination" amongst DIII teams I have no idea how anyone can be that objective when calculating SOS.
It's pretty easy given that it's based on winning percentages--there's not interpretation needed.......and SOS is one of the 5 criteria used in doing the regional rankings......

But given that some teams with great records have never played great teams what does that prove?
i agree somewhat but the use of the opponents opponents winging percentage does account for this to a degree...basically if you beat teams with good records that also beat teams with good records then your SOS will be higher than if you beat a team with a good record that beat a bunch if losing teams....and agai Blue SOS is one of five criteria used.  The others are win/loss regional games, results vs regionally ranked opponents, head to head ,and one other thing that I'm blanking on
Go Cats!

D O.C.

bluenote

MonroviaCat

Quote from: D O.C. on November 05, 2013, 12:13:16 AM
Not spelling, is it?
LOL, was typing from my cell phone (too lazy to get off the couch). 
Go Cats!

02 Warhawk

Quote from: Hemingway13 on November 03, 2013, 08:26:00 PM
TitanPride,

Your top 6 look real solid to my untrained eye, but couldn't you squeeze Redlands in at #10..............please8-)

As of right now, I would have Redlands over UW-Platteville. Neither team has beaten anybody good, but Redlands' SOS is the best in the West.

So, with that being said about UWP, I would have Bethel over UW-Whitewater for the top spot in the West.

d-train

You know we're deeper and they're gonna send someone to the 'north'...so I think the West Regional Rankings should go to eleven.

bluenote

Quote from: d-train on November 05, 2013, 12:26:36 PM
You know we're deeper and they're gonna send someone to the 'north'...so I think the West Regional Rankings should go to eleven.

Love the "Spinal Tap" reference!

d-train

02 Warhawk

I assume today's the day for the first Regional Rankings?!

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: WarhawkDad on November 04, 2013, 06:08:52 PM
Quote from: hazzben on November 04, 2013, 09:27:11 AM
It was a brutal weekend for Bethel I terms of the Regional Rankings. At least as brutal as a weekend can be were you stay unbeaten and win by 49 points on the road.

Wartburg and SJU losing cost them probably 1, if not 2 wins against RRO.

The big question is how much the committee weighs SOS v. win percentage. That will determine a lot about where IC gets slotted compared to other teams with one or even two losses against much better competition.
HazzBen

I feel for you, sincerely.   In 2010, the SOS is what caused UWW to leapfrog around the country even after going undefeated and being the returning national champion.   

WHD

I believe that this problem has been addressed now that prior years' postseason results can be taken into consideration when comparing undefeated teams.  If I remember correctly that was not on the books in 2010.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

02 Warhawk

WEST
1 UW-Whitewater 8-0 8-0
2 Bethel 8-0 8-0
3 Linfield 7-0 7-0
4 UW-Oshkosh 7-1 7-1
5 Concordia-Moorhead 7-1 7-1
6 UW-Platteville 7-1 7-1
7 Pacific Lutheran 7-1 7-1
8 Illinois College 8-0 8-0
9 Wartburg 6-2 6-2
10 Saint John's (Minn.) 6-2 6-2

02 Warhawk

Surprised UWW is on top. Maybe Bethel will jump over Whitewater if and when they beat St. John's. Also, will that count as a regional win for Bethen then? Or won't it, because St. John's will then drop out of the Regional Rankings?

Strong showing by the WIAC, stronger than I imagined. I wonder is UWO or UWP will fall off the rankings once they play each other and someone gets that second loss?

MasterJedi

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on November 06, 2013, 01:43:50 PM
Surprised UWW is on top. Maybe Bethel will jump over Whitewater if and when they beat St. John's.

Also, will that count as a regional win for Bethen then? Or won't it, because St. John's will then drop out of the Regional Rankings?

WashU was ranked 8th in the South which helps out UWW a lot.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: MasterJedi on November 06, 2013, 01:45:44 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on November 06, 2013, 01:43:50 PM
Surprised UWW is on top. Maybe Bethel will jump over Whitewater if and when they beat St. John's.

Also, will that count as a regional win for Bethen then? Or won't it, because St. John's will then drop out of the Regional Rankings?

WashU was ranked 8th in the South which helps out UWW a lot.

+K good call. I didn't think to look in the south for Wash U.

Here's to UWP, UWO and Wash U staying regionally ranked these next few weeks. If that holds true, UWW could very well host a region then.

AO

once ranked, always ranked.  Bethel is in the drivers seat with 4 potential regionally ranked wins if the Tommies beat the Cobbers.