2016 South Atlantic

Started by lastguyoffthebench, August 24, 2016, 10:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on September 06, 2016, 07:19:00 AM

NSCAA Projections:
WEEK 1
1. Rowan     3rd (behind Amherst and Loras)
2. CNU         12th
3. Salisbury  18th
4. Lynchburg
5. Mary Washington   (could see MW and Lynchburg flipped...)
6. York
7. Centre
8. St. Marys
9. MSU
10. Rutgers-Camden

1-5 should be set, next 5 is a crapshoot this early...  will be interesting to see where MSU is slotted.     They shouldn't be below 6, but we know how the NSCAA votes...

Rowan should be #1 after the start they have had! WOW!

lastguyoffthebench

I, along with NCAC NE, agree with you...

Rowan could be #1 at this point, but Amherst will still get their votes in an IDLE week.    I think in the D3soccer.com poll they will be #2, and in NSCAA they will be #3.   I don't see Loras dropping a spot for a 2-0 weekend.

Rowan at F&M could be a #3 vs #4 match-up on 9/21... 

jknezek

W&L rolls over SVa. This had the makings of a trap game, coming between the big road trip to NJ to open the season and the trip to Ohio this weekend, but the Generals easily took care of business despite giving up the first goal early.

On to the Battling Bishops.

jknezek

W&L takes out Ohio Wesleyan at the Battling Bishops home tournament. 3-1 after going down 1-0 in the first half. With 10 goals in 3 games after the 2-0 loss to Rowan to start the season, the Generals look in good shape for the game against Wooster tomorrow and then the start of the ODAC season.

PaulNewman

Quote from: jknezek on September 10, 2016, 08:00:27 PM
W&L takes out Ohio Wesleyan at the Battling Bishops home tournament. 3-1 after going down 1-0 in the first half. With 10 goals in 3 games after the 2-0 loss to Rowan to start the season, the Generals look in good shape for the game against Wooster tomorrow and then the start of the ODAC season.

Congrats.  A very good win for your program.  W&L even survived the infamous OWU early goal.  I've probably watched 7 or 8 OWU games where I was still getting the snacks lined up and OWU already had scored.

PaulNewman

Christopher Newport heading out West next week to play Redlands in what should be one of the feature games of the week and an also still unbeaten Chapman.  I applaud these occasional cross-country trips at the D3 level, just as I applaud those programs that take advantage of preseason trips abroad.  I see these as big perks for the kids and an enhancement of their overall collegiate experiences as student-athletes. 

If state-funded schools like UMass-Boston and Christopher Newport can make cross-country trips then I see no reason why we can't get more at least cross-regional games, involving New England trips for Centennial, ODAC, NCAC, etc conferences and vice versa.  Again, interestingly, some of the state-funded NJAC and SUNYAC teams seem to travel more than some others.

lastguyoffthebench

The South Atlantic has had some very strong results to start the season...

NSCAA thoughts
1.  Rowan (5-0) wins over W&L, Oneonta St, and Lyco
2.  CNU (4-0) clear cut #2 with perfect record and wins over NCWC and VWC.
3.  W&L (4-1) wins over Oneonta St and OWU
4.  Salisbury (2-0-1) easy schedule to start, but seemingly get the votes.
5.  Centre (4-0) with a strong win over Thomas More ... Never know how NSCAA will vote these SAA schools.
6.  MSU (5-1) bad loss early but a strong win over Stevens.
7.  Lynchburg (3-0-1)
8.  St. Mary's (4-0-1)   
9.  Rutgers-Camden (2-0-2) draw vs St Mary's on Neutral site).
10.  Mary Washington (4-1) win over Stockton does not look as impressive, but also beat Catholic
10.  Rutgers-Newark

Kean / York  ....
Newark with strong wins over Babson and Whitworth;
Kean with strong win over Brockport St and a good loss vs Rochester
York with a strong result vs Randolph and F&M
Ramapo is a quiet 4-0 vs some good schools; ECSU, Susqu... not sure how voters will take to this one...
NJCU is 6-0...
Maryville is 3-1 with wins over Oglethorpe and Millsaps

lastguyoffthebench

My top 8 would be:

1) Rowan
2) W&L
3) MSU
4) CNU
5) Newark
6) Salisbury
7) St. Mary's
8) Lynchburg

PaulNewman

Ex-Montclair star Kyle Goodwin started and playing right now for Rutgers agains #4 Maryland on Big 10 channel.   Committed a totally unnecessary foul at edge of box to gift Maryland a pk in first 6 minutes but otherwise has shown very well.

PaulNewman

Speaking of Montclair, they win comfortable 3-1 over Whitworth after being up 3-0.  Who did they really lose besides Goodwin?  All the names in the scoring sound familiar. 

Have a feeling the Rowan-MSU games are going to be among the best games of the entire season, including the tournament.

lastguyoffthebench

NJCU moves to 7-0...   Out of conference games remaining:  @ York (NY), NYU, Moravian.    Should reach 10-11 wins by the end of the year.         

NJAC overall record:   47-10-5 (.798)
UAA overall record:      25-7-3 (.757)
ODAC overall record:  33-14-9 (.670)
CAC overall record:    30-15-7 (.644)
SAA overall record:    22-13-2 (.622)
USAC overall record:  18-30-5 (.387)

lastguyoffthebench

Week 2 NSCAA Prediction
1) Rowan University (7-0); DA Hood 2-0, DA NJCU 4-2
2) Washington & Lee  (5-1); DH VWU 2-1
3) Centre (5-0); DA DePauw 3-2     (Another strong win, another test vs Kenyon)...
4) CNU (6-1); DH Methodist, DA Redlands 2-1, LA Chapman 5-3   (Does CNU fall this far with a 2-1 week)?  Centre needs to move up and W&L should be #2...)
5) Lynchburg University (4-0-2) TA Oglethorpe 2-2, DA Berry 1-0  (Does the DRAW see them slip a few spots)
6) St. Mary's (6-0-1); DA Catholic 1-0, DH Randolph-Macon 3-2
7) Rutgers-Camden (4-0-2); DA Cabrini 1-0, DH Rutgers-Newark 3-0   (Camden tied St. Mary's late at a Neutral site and has stronger SOS...)
8) Ramapo (6-0); DH Arcadia 2-1, DA Montclair St 4-3                  (Where does Ramapo fit in the mix with wins at ECSU and MSU? Could they be as high as 6th?)
9) New Jersey City (7-1); DH Staten Island 1-0, LH Rowan 4-2
10) Kean (7-1); DH SUNY-Old Westbury 1-0, DH Stockton 4-1
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RV: 
Mary Washington (5-1); DA Roanoke 2-1
Randolph (4-1-1); DH Birmingham-Southern 2-0
Rutgers-Newark (6-2); DA Mt St. Mary 4-0, LA Rutgers-Camden 3-0
MSU (6-2); DH Whitworth 3-1, LH Ramapo 4-3
Birmingham-Southern (5-1); DA LaGrange 3-0, LA Randolph 2-0
Salisbury (3-1-1); DH Washington College 1-0, LA Neumann 2-1

York lost twice this week

lastguyoffthebench

1 Rowan University DA Hood College 2-0; DA New Jersey City University 4-2;  2 7-0-0
2 Christopher Newport University DH Methodist University 4-0; DA University of Redlands 2-1; LA Chapman University 3-5;  1 6-1-0
3 Washington & Lee University DH Virginia Wesleyan College 2-1;  4 5-1-0
4 Lynchburg College TA Oglethorpe University 2-2; DA Berry College 1-0;  3 4-0-2
5 St. Mary's College of Maryland DA Catholic University 1-0; DH Randolph-Macon College 3-2;  5 6-0-1
6 Centre College DA DePauw University 3-2;  6 4-0-0
7 Ramapo College DH Arcadia University 2-1; DA Montclair State University 4-3;  NR 6-0-0
8 Kean University DH SUNY Old Westbury 1-0; DH Stockton University 4-1;  NR 7-1-0
9 University Of Mary Washington DA Roanoke College 2-1;  NR 5-1-0
10 Rutgers University-Camden DA Cabrini College 2-1; DH Rutgers University-Newark 3-0;  NR 4-0-2

jknezek

Interesting that W&L scheduled Va Wes and Lynchburg as OOC games. I really don't like the ODAC system this year. Wish they would just schedule the full round robin, as we've done in the past, even though it cuts into some of the OOC games. Last year we played 11 conference games, this year they cut it to 9. W&L scheduled the missing 2 as OOC games anyway, Va Wes and Lynchburg.

Was this simply a matter of wanting more OOC games and more scheduling flexibility. Anyone know?

NokeAlum15

The difference in quality between top half of the ODAC and the bottom half is crazy.  I believe they did this to help the ODAC become a multi bid league.  No offense to the bottom ODAC teams, but playing them and even beating them, hurts strength of schedule.  Which is one of the top criteria the committee uses for at large bids.

I think it's worth a shot.
1993 National Quarterfinalist
Six NCAA Appearances
Nine-Time ODAC Champions
Six-Time VISA Champions