NJAC

Started by Go2Goal, August 29, 2017, 09:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HooksLeft

Hey all, been a long time since I've posted so I'd like to begin by saying thank you to everyone who keeps the chain going while the rest of us watch from the sidelines. Even though I'm now a handful of years out of school I still find this board to be a fantastic extension of the on-the-field excitement.

That being said, I have chosen to break my silence for an absolutely heart-breaking reason. As some of you may or may not know, today's game between Amherst and Rutgers-Newark was packed with drama but marred by racism that has become all too prevalent in today's society. Before I attempt to recap the specific events, I want to mention that I wasn't there and I was unable to stream the game. What I have to say is based on what I've heard from those in attendance. Therefore I apologize if I describe anything incorrectly. I welcome anyone with more information to let their voice be heard because I think this topic goes far beyond sports rivalries.

Fikayo Ajayi, a great player and even better person, was called a ni**** by one of the RUN players in the first few minutes of OT. His response, and justifiably so in my opinion, was to confront the RUN player with pointed language of his own (F bombs, etc.), which led to a scuffle and a yellow card for Fikayo and the deplorable RUN player. The referee did not hear the original insult from the RUN player but had heard the response from Fikayo, which led the RUN coach to suggest that Fikayo was the only one deserving of a yellow card. After everyone had been calmed down the game was allowed to continue and moments later Fikayo received a second yellow and was sent off. I'm not sure what the second offense was for but I imagine emotions were still running extremely high. Thankfully karma prevailed and soon Amherst was able to net the game winner, sending RUN home with nothing but a huge loss.

Now... I HOPE we can all agree that what the RUN player did was terrible... that should be a given. However, what I want to address are two things that bubbled to the surface following the game.
1) is that the referee later claimed to the Amherst coaching staff that he believed Fikayo had made up the insult. That it had never occurred. To this I have to say ARE YOU F***ING KIDDING ME. Why would someone make that up? Short answer - they wouldn't. And even if the referee is ignorant enough to believe that the insult was fabricated, WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT TO HIS COACH!!!! If you didn't hear it then I can understand that you would be hesitant to dish out punishment purely based on the opposing players reaction, but for me a ref suggesting that the player made it up is NEVER appropriate.
2) The RUN coach not only complained about his player receiving a yellow, but he was bold enough to suggest that the player would not have said such a thing because he was hispanic and went to church on a weekly basis. THIS. IS. ABSURD. Suggesting someone can't be racist because they are also a minority? That they are immune to accusations of racism because they worship a higher power on a weekly basis? This is ignorance at its finest. I understand that a coach is inclined to protect and defend his players but for me racism is where respectable coach's need to draw the line. If you are a collegiate soccer coach then your job should revolve around two things: winning as many soccer games as possible and grooming your student athletes to become the best person they can be. If todays events was any indication I would say that RUN is failing miserably at the latter.

I don't post this to start a debate and I don't plan to reply to any thread that stems from this post. All I would like to do is make sure that things like this do not go unnoticed. Everyone should be held accountable for their actions and I hope that the Rutgers-Newark players and staff are held accountable for theirs.

d3soccerfreak

Rutgers-Newark and Rowan remain dominant at the top of the standings midway through the season...

Rutgers-Newark, 14-1 (5-0)
Rowan, 12-2 (5-0)
William Paterson, 9-3-1 (3-2)
Montclair State, 9-4-1 (3-2)
Rutgers-Camden, 6-5-3 (2-2-1)
Stockton, 10-3-1 (2-3)
Ramapo, 6-7 (2-3)
Kean, 5-5-1 (1-4)
TCNJ, 4-7-2 (0-3-2)
New Jersey City, 4-6-2 (0-4-1)

Anything stand out to you thus far?

rudy

Quote from: d3soccerfreak on October 08, 2017, 11:45:39 AM
Rutgers-Newark and Rowan remain dominant at the top of the standings midway through the season...

Rowan, 12-2 (5-0)
Stockton, 10-3-1 (2-3)
Ramapo, 6-7 (2-3)
Kean, 5-5-1 (1-4)
TCNJ, 4-7-2 (0-3-2)

After a rough start it looks like MSU has bounced back. Only lost 3-2 to Rowan and had been on a win streak. I wonder if some adjustments were made in formation, lineup, etc. They did not look good in 4-0 loss to Messiah early in the season but it definitely looks like something has changed to give Rowan a tight game and now have 9 wins. It was good to see RUN play Amherst..would like to see more NESCAC teams play NJAC teams in season.

Ejay

Quote from: d3soccerfreak on October 08, 2017, 11:45:39 AM

Rowan, 12-2 (5-0)
Stockton, 10-3-1 (2-3)
Ramapo, 6-7 (2-3)
Kean, 5-5-1 (1-4)
TCNJ, 4-7-2 (0-3-2)

Compared to the Pre-season coaches poll, I'd say the success that Willy P is having might be your story of the year.

2017 NJAC Men's Soccer Preseason Coaches Poll
1. Rowan (7)
2. Rutgers-Newark (2)
3. Montclair State (1)
4. Rutgers-Camden
5. Stockton
6. The College of New Jersey (dark horse)
7. Kean
8. Ramapo
9. William Paterson
10. New Jersey City
(first place votes in parenthesis)

Go2Goal

Surprises this year have to be William Patterson on the positive and TCNJ on the negative. Stockton continue to freefall as I predicted.

Rowan and Newark are the class of the conference. Newark's hopes ride on one player. Where Rowan can get goals from multiple players. I think that balance will show up when they play. The game is at Rowan this year.

I see the conference getting 3 NCAA spots this year compared to 4 last year. And the 3 could become 2 if Montclair stumble down the stretch.

franklyspeaking

Clearly Rowan and RNewark are the leaders of the pack.  Not sure why people thought TCNJ would be good this year, the roster just doesn't support it.  They have midfielders that have no ball skills, very difficult to win that way.  Stockton has been a strange team but as someone stated, they will win some and lose some.

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: Go2Goal on October 09, 2017, 09:03:26 AM
Surprises this year have to be William Patterson on the positive and TCNJ on the negative. Stockton continue to freefall as I predicted.

Rowan and Newark are the class of the conference. Newark's hopes ride on one player. Where Rowan can get goals from multiple players. I think that balance will show up when they play. The game is at Rowan this year.

I see the conference getting 3 NCAA spots this year compared to 4 last year. And the 3 could become 2 if Montclair stumble down the stretch.

Can't see the NJAC getting more than 2 this year. Lets say Montclair wins 4 of remaining 5 with the loss to RUN which will have them at 13-5-1 with 1 ranked win (maybe 2 if they are lucky) and a ranked tie if they are lucky and 3 guaranteed ranked losses. Say they get a 3-6 seed and get that extra game in playoffs AND make the final and lose, they are looking at 15-6-1 with only 2 or 3 ranked wins and 4 ranked losses and possibly a tie. I just don't think that will get it done with how competitive the South Atlantic is this year. I also don't think they win 4 of the last 5 which really puts the nail in the coffin for them. Amount of potentially ranked teams and SOS will help them but the record vs those ranked teams will hurt as well as overall blemishes. Can't see that resume being at-large bid worthy this season but a lot of games left to be played.   

Go2Goal

Agreed! The only way three get in is if someone other than RUN or Rowan win the AQ!

Go2Goal

On the schedule tonight.
                                           My prediction
Rowan at Rutgers Camden          ( 3-0 )

William Patterson at Montclair.     (2-3)

Tcnj at Stockton                         (0-2)

Ramapo at Rutgers Newark         (0-2)

Go2Goal

Crazy night in the NJAC!
Well this is the game that would most likely decide the regular season NJAC champ. Rutgers Newark traveled to Glassboro to take on Rowan. This game was back and forth early with both teams getting chances but Rowan had the better of play. In the second half Rowan took over but couldn't score. The game went to overtime where finally Rowan was able to get one past the little Rutgers Newark Keeper winning 1-0. This gives Rowan a clear path to home field advantage in the playoffs.

results from tonight...

TCNJ 3 - 0 Montclair
NJCU 0 - 1 Ramapo
William Patterson 1 - 1 Stockton
Kean 2 - 1 Rutgers Camden
Rowan 1 - 0 Rutgers Newark

Updated Standings

SCHOOL               CPTS      CONF   OVERALL
Rowan                 21       7-0   14-2
Rutgers-Newark         18       6-1   15-2
Montclair State         12       4-3   10-5-1
William Paterson.     10       3-3-1   9-4-2
Kean                          9       3-4   8-5-1
Ramapo                  9       3-4   8-8
Stockton                  8       2-3-2   10-3-3
Rutgers-Camden.      7       2-4-1   6-7-3
The College of NJ.     6       1-3-3   5-7-3
New Jersey City          1       0-6-1   4-8-2

Rowan has now realer off 9 straight since dropping a game to messiah that they should have won. (PK missed In Overtime) The team will be making its third straight NCAA appearance and is poised to make a deep run this year.

franklyspeaking

TCNJ should be a much better, competitive team.  This coach does very little to nothing in the terms of recruiting.  It is a very good school, reasonably priced and in a soccer hotbed.  No reason they shouldn't be very good every year.

Ejay

Quote from: franklyspeaking on October 17, 2017, 08:34:40 AM
TCNJ should be a much better, competitive team.  This coach does very little to nothing in the terms of recruiting.  It is a very good school, reasonably priced and in a soccer hotbed.  No reason they shouldn't be very good every year.

Agree 100%. 

Mr.Right

I remember in 1995 when they lost to Williams in the Sweet 16 and then beat Williams in 1996 in the Elite 8. Interestingly both teams lost their home games in that series. I will say those 2 squads were LEGIT...They had some D1 players on that squad for sure especially in 1995.

Go2Goal

Current NJAC Standings heading into the final day.

2017 Men's Soccer Standings
School                             CPts   Conf            CPct.   Overall   Pct.       Streak
Rowan                              22           7-0-1   0.938   15-2-1   0.861   T1
Rutgers-Newark                       21   7-1           0.875   17-2           0.895   W2
Montclair State                       12   4-4           0.500   11-6-1   0.639   L1
Kean                                      12          4-4           0.500   9-6-1   0.594   W1
Stockton                               11   3-3-2   0.500   12-3-4   0.737   T1
William Paterson               11    3-3-2   0.500   10-4-3   0.676   T1
Ramapo                              10    3-4-1   0.438   8-9-1   0.472   T1
Rutgers-Camden               8           2-4-2   0.375   8-7-4   0.526   T1
The College of NJ               6           1-4-3   0.313   6-8-3   0.441   W1
New Jersey City                       1           0-7-1   0.063   4-11-2   0.294   L9

Todays matches:                                                                                                                                My Predictions
Montclair State University         New Jersey City         3 p.m.   Jersey City, NJ                        5-0 
The College of New Jersey         Rowan                 7:00 p.m.   Glassboro, NJ                        0-4
Ramapo College                         Kean                         7:30 PM   Union, NJ                                1-2
Stockton University                 Rutgers-Camden            7:30 PM   Camden, NJ                        0-0
William Paterson University         Rutgers-Newark         7:30 p.m.   Newark, NJ                        1-2

Predicted seeding for tournament
1-Rowan      Bye
2-Newark     Bye
3-Montclair
4-Kean
5-Stockton
6-WP

firstplaceloser

Camden plays Stockton tonight for a place in the playoffs... i can't even remember the last time camden wasn't in the playoffs or at least the Semis...