Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, March 01, 2005, 04:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jamiejohn on November 14, 2013, 01:18:49 PM
Roger Williams and Endicott's roster are now up.

Still no preseason poll

http://www.rwuhawks.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball&
http://www.ecgulls.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/roster

Both teams bringing in a large freshman class with some size to boot.

They just changed the table from 2012-2013 to 2013-2014 today, so maybe the coach's poll is coming soon.

Also, anyone close to the program want to fill me in on how Endicott has grown so fast?  Twenty years ago they were a two year school with like 500 (all female) students.  Now they've got almost 3,000 students, a huge, beautiful campus, and a $50m endowment.  They're drawing athletes nationally on a pretty regular basis.  It's impressive, I'm just not sure where it all comes from.  Is there a big donor out there?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Bill Gorman

Preseason poll...

2013-14 CCC Men's Basketball Preseason Coaches' Poll

Team   Points (First Place Votes)
1.   Gordon   90 (4)
2.   Curry   89 (4)
3.   Endicott   81 (2)
4.   Nichols     64
5.   Salve Regina  51
6.   Eastern Nazarene  49
T7.   Roger Williams  40
T7.   Wentworth   40
9.   University of New England  28
10.   Western New England             18

http://cccathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2013-14/releases/20131114pf4ht3
Bill Gorman
Associate AD/SID
Wentworth Institute of Technology

marketherrien

A cheap plug if you will -

The Worcester Area College Basketball (coaches) Association revived its awards program last year and, for the second consecutive year, is  complimented with a Twitter account - @WACBAHoops https://twitter.com/wacbahoops

The feed features daily news, scores, recaps and more for all nine NCAA men's and women's basketball programs in Worcester County: Anna Maria, Assumption (DII), Becker, Clark, Fitchburg State, Holy Cross (DI), Nichols, WPI and Worcester State.

Matt Noonan (@NoontimeSports), as heard on Hoopsville, selects the weekly men's and women's players of the week and an honor roll for each gender. Along with the weekly release there will be standings and statistical leaders for points, rebounds and assists. Both will are slated to be released on Monday afternoons.

Maq Diesel

Gordon updated their roster, no surprise (at least not to me) the Estonian's are no longer listed.  Looks like Udoka Obiora is a new addition, 6-5 SO F from Boston Trinity.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

WIT wins 88-71, ran away in the second half.  Led by Freshman PG Jherson Colon 21 and 9 (and he shoots threes).  They played seven guys, double figures for five of them - Derek Mayo not among them.  Emmanuel doesn't tell us much, but could be better than we thought.

EC beat Fisher 89-78.  Magee didn't play.  They got 23 off the bench from their freshman PG, Kamahl Walker.  They played nine guys, Kneece was on the bench and, as I said, Magee didn't even play.  the talent always seems to be there, let's see if they can keep it together this year.

RWU lost to Mt Ida in OT 88-87.  No boxscore yet.

The other three teams are all winning in the second half.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Salve manages to hold on at Johnson & Wales.  Took a big lead in the first half and gave most of it back in the second.  I caught about two minutes of this game on the webcast, but had to turn it off due to nausea.  They got 23 from Barrett Hanlon who I think is a transfer from Bentley (another high scoring, new PG in the league).  Maybe he can pick up the Pringle slack?

Nichols took out Lasell.  37 from Sheehan.  No one eats up the non-con like that guy.  Wow.

Gordon is getting hosed by Goucher with a minute to play.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Gordon goes down at Goucher.  Glad I didn't drive over to see that one.  Up 10 at the half, the Scots gave up 51 points in the second period to lose by 13.  Miersma and Jason Dempsey had double doubles.  Poor shooting and losing the turnover battle 21-5 will do that for you.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Eight teams play tomorrow, but a lot of opponents depend on later games tonight.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

RWU hosts Vassar
ENC @ Wheelock
GC vs Roanoke @ Goucher
EC @ Wheaton
UNE vs Daniel Webster - it's a tournament; I didn't look up the location
CC @ Brandeis
WIT vs Framingham @ Emerson
WNE vs Suffolk @ Conn Coll

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

ENC beat Wheelock to open the season.  They played their starters almost the whole game.  Hopefully they can work in some of the bench more consistently as the season goes along, although they are well conditioned, you don't want to rely on just five guys the whole year.  I don't know what kind of size Wheelock has, but an undersized ENC team took the rebounding battle pretty handily and hit a ton of FTs.  20 and 10 for Jaylen Owens, plus 5 assists and 4 steals.

RWU goes down to Vassar by ten.  This could be a long year for Roger Williams.

EC and GC both in close games near halftime.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

After opening weekend, no one really looks great yet.  Endicott won two games over bad teams.  Lots of losses.  I'm not sure we know much yet.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Eight games tonight and I'd say everyone but Endicott and ENC are underdogs:

EC hosts Lesley
ENC hosts Suffolk
RWU @ J&W
CC hosts WPI
WNE @ Springfield
GC @ MIT
SRU hosts ConnColl
UNE hosts Southern Maine

warriorcat

Final in Newport

Salve Regina   68
Conn College  34

Nice start to the season for SRC 2-0.  There next six games are on the road.  Not home again until January 2.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Curry lost by 20 to a WPI team missing their best player.

Endicott beat Lesley 80-70.  John Henault had 17 rebounds and some dude from Lesley hit 7 of 9 threes.

RWU lost by five to J&W.  Threes weren't falling, but they actually seemed to play pretty well, at least on offense - they gave up a lot of big numbers to the chefs.

WNE got trounced by Springfield 69-95.  Only five turnovers for WNE - that's about the only good thing I can say.

Gordon 48-67 MIT.  Double-double for Miersma, lots of minutes for the bench.

ENC best Suffolk pretty handily.  16 guys got minutes - they even rebounded well.  Wow.

So apparently Connecticut College is awful.  Salve wins 68-34.  Not a typo.  Hanlon had 16 and 7.  Freshman, Nicholas Bates with a double double off the bench.

Southern Maine over UNE by 12.

Maq Diesel

Interesting notes from Todd Murphy at Gordon:

"We started practice over a month ago now and I think the best description that I can give for this preseason is tumultuous.  During the summer months we had comprised a recruiting class of seven players to add to our 13 returning players to make up a roster of 20. That is more than I traditionally like to carry on a team, but our walk-ons from previous seasons have earned the right to be a part of the team so we will work with it.

To make a long story short, we began our season this past Friday with a trip to Baltimore for a tournament and only 14 players made the trip. Many factors came into play to lower that number that much, but we are still very happy about the players remaining on the team and we still have a lot of confidence going into the season."

Could be an interesting season.