BB: General Mid-Atlantic Region Discussion

Started by baseball1001, February 18, 2008, 10:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3baseballnut

Quote from: RSSmith on March 23, 2010, 04:39:28 PM
We're getting into conference play in the Mid-Atlantic region.  Here's how I see the top of the pile:

1.  Johns Hopkins (11-3, 0-0 CC). Last 4 games were pronounced wins over Keene State, #22 Southern Maine, and #14 Eastern Connecticut.
2.  Kean (9-4, 0-0 NJAC).  Lost 2 to #12 Carthage, split with #3 Wooster, beat Keystone.
3.  Rowan (8-5, 0-0 NJAC).  Beat Wheaton (MA) like a lot of other teams.  Averaging only 5.5 runs per game.
4.  Montclair State (4-3, 0-0 NJAC).  No shame losses to #2 Heidleberg, #20 Shenandoah, and #9 RPI.
5.  Lebanon Valley (9-3, 0-0 MACC).  2 losses to a very good Ferrum team.
6.  Penn State-Behrend (8-2, 0-0 AMCC).  No heavy lifting.  Split with Manhattanville and Thomas More.
7.  DeSales (7-4, 3-0 MACF).  Easy conference wins over lightweight opposition. Won't be challenged until March 30 at Montclair State.
8.  Widener (6-3, 0-0 MACC).  Won 2 from Farmingdale.  Good losses to #11 Augustana and #16 Rose Hulman.
9.  Frostburg State (12-5, 0-0 AMCC).  Stomped Washington College.
10.  Franklin & Marshall (5-6-1, 0-0 CC).  Good win against Averett, but got swept by defending Southern Region champ #20 Shenandoah.  Dips will be glad to start conference play.

NJAC is seriously down this year. I dont know how this conference is still going to get at large teams in when they have the records they have, and the games they have lost overall. But they will

I dont see anything that says that this conference is the SEC of D3 baseball anymore, which was the justification for teams like Montclair (26-18) getting in a few years back. If JHU had a 4-3 record as Montclair, or an 8-5 record as Rowan, would they be in same spots? No, and their schedules are comparable, if JHU's isnt better.

I am not knocking you RSSmith - this will no doubt be the tone of the Regional Rankings in a few weeks. I don't like how NJAC teams can be 4-3 and at the top of the rankings. For instance, last year, Montclair (25-15, 22-8 in-region) was ranked over keystone (34-4, 28-1 in-region) in the final regular season regional rankings. Just bc they were in the NJAC, which was NOT good last year. No different than other conferences....lost to mediocre teams all the time. Plus, keystone was 2-0 vs. the NJAC with additional wins over Cortland State (X2), and RPI. Still wasn't enough

Was the NJAC really that much better to make a 22-8 in-region record better than a 28-1 in-region record from another conference??

And if in-region records don't matter, how can you put Montclair #3 in the region with an 18-13 record in 2009 when their in-region record was their only strength (15-6)

RSSmith

Honestly, nut, the horsepower throughout the region is pretty thin.  I actually think the two top MACC teams could fare well in either the NJAC or Centennial.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

d3baseballnut

RSSmith

Quote from: d3baseballnut on March 23, 2010, 06:11:05 PM
yea, i would probably agree with you.

It looks like we'll see this afternoon.  Swat goes to Widener and Muhlenburg goes to Lebanon Valley.

RSSmith

RSSmith

RSSmith

Quote from: RSSmith on March 24, 2010, 08:11:43 PM
Quote from: RSSmith on March 24, 2010, 08:06:28 PM
Swat beats Widener 11-8.  Hmmmmm.

Lebanon Valley at Ursinus tomorrow.

Ursinus 10--Lebanon Valley 2.

Small sample, but I retract my speculation that MACC teams could compete in the CC and NJAC.

d3baseballnut

cutter

While I agree that the region may be down this season, anointing the CC as a leader in the region is a bit premature.  It, traditionally, cannot even compare to the NJAC...which I agree, is down this season...

The CC is lousy with the exception of JHU, and JHU has only recently emerged as the best in the region--2008 (when they won the South--not the MA). 

RSSmith

I was comparing the CC with the MACC, and in those two inter-conference matchups, second division CC teams beat the two best teams in the MACC.  In the handful of CC-NJAC games this year, Centennial has won 5 and NJAC has won 3 (2 of which were 1-run affairs for Kean and Rowan over a struggling F&M).  While I certainly agree that Hopkins is the cream of the CC (I am a homer), I don't think I'd characterize the rest of the conference as lousy.  I think Haverford is apt to make some noise if Pappius-Lefebvre is not injured, I am sure that F&M will kick it into gear soon--their pitchers will not continue giving up over 7 earned runs per game, and I think that if you sleep on any of those teams they can beat you.

That being said, I do think that the CC and NJAC are the two best conferences in the region, and that top-to-bottom they are very close.  Just my opinion.

d3baseballnut

Quote from: cutter on March 26, 2010, 08:48:06 AM
While I agree that the region may be down this season, anointing the CC as a leader in the region is a bit premature.  It, traditionally, cannot even compare to the NJAC...which I agree, is down this season...

The CC is lousy with the exception of JHU, and JHU has only recently emerged as the best in the region--2008 (when they won the South--not the MA). 

I won't crown the CC better than NJAC yet, but these results this season show the conferences are very comparable. Especially considering that F&M is at the bottom of the CC, and gave Kean & Rowan ALL they could handle:

2010 games:

Ursinus 5, TCNJ 4
JHU DH sweep Rutgers Newark
Kean 9, F&M 8
Rowan 3, F&M 2

Plus, you really think in 2008 that the Mid-Atlantic Region tournament was tougher than the South Region Tournament. You might want to retake a look at the South. I thought the South was BY FAR the toughest region. 4 Top 20 Teams, and a fifth with the Pitcher of the Year that JHU faced first round.

CrashDavisD3

In 2009 the West Region had 7 teams finish in the top 35 in D3 poll votes.

In  2008 2 West Region teams made it to Appleton WI for the Championship series and 5 teams in top 36

In 2010 so far 8 teams are receiving votes in the DIII Baseball Poll.

BUT the West only gets 6 teams in the playoffs most years.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

RSSmith

St. Joes (LI not ME) 9, Kean 7 (surprise, surprise)

d3baseballnut

Quote from: RSSmith on March 26, 2010, 08:07:22 PM
St. Joes (LI not ME) 9, Kean 7 (surprise, surprise)

surprised, not absolutely shocked though....Kean has flirted with trouble and wiggled out of losses several times this season

Kean 9 F&M 8
Kean 7 Brockport 6...both in the bottom of the 9th.

Two additional 1-run victories.

They are fortunate to be 11-5.....they'll still be tops in the region though, according to the regional rankings ::)

bulldozer