NCAA proposal to allow a non-binding Division III 'signing day'

Started by Ron Boerger, November 12, 2014, 10:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunny

The other issue in play is that Division III schools cannot publicize (or is not supposed to) a recruit in any way, shape, or form until he or she has paid a deposit. There is nO legislation on the table to change that as far as I know, which means, yes, the kid could "sign" this non-binding agreement, but the university or college still cannot publicly acknowledge it. That is completely incongruous.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: jknezek on November 13, 2014, 02:55:48 PM
The D3 legislation specifies non-binding, celebratory piece of paper. In other words, it means nothing. Kids can still be recruited other places, apply other places, or change their minds once financial aid information appears. It's just a piece of paper celebrating where they think they are going at the same time other athletes are signing something about where they are actually going.

Any kid could do something similar with a blank sheet of paper these days, this just gives them some "official letterhead" paper from the school.
I understand that, but how many kids after signing that piece of paper will consider their journey done. They found a school and committed. Even though it is not binding. During the early signing periods most of the athletes do not even know if they have been accepted. I just worry this might be the first step down a slippery slope.

smedindy

They can fix this by not having this until deposit is paid. Could be near the end of the school year, but so be it...

Bishopleftiesdad

I would have no problem with that. D3 kids would just sigh at a different time. But does that meet the needs of the stated purpose? In the article it was basically so the students achievement could celebrated along with their D1 and D2 brethren. If their signing was on a different day, would it have the same impact as the D1 and D2, would athletes still be embarrassed or left out? Would their be a stigma over the later signing?

smedindy

Conversely, it could be looked at as a special day, a celebration of the student-athlete...

They are choosing to go D3. Many times they turn down D-1 (usually partial scholarships or walk on spots) or D-2 money, or NAIA money,  to play D3. Let's celebrate them like they were a NAIA signee getting a partial scholarship.

smedindy

Conversely, it could be looked at as a special day, a celebration of the student-athlete...

They are choosing to go D3. Many times they turn down D-1 (usually partial scholarships or walk on spots) or D-2 money, or NAIA money,  to play D3. Let's celebrate them like the other signees

Bishopleftiesdad

Really I think it will come down to the preference of the Athlete. If this works for them then they will sign. If it does not then they will not. As long as no additional pressure is placed on the athlete and everyone understands that their is nothing binding by either party. As long as their is no Gentleman's agreement among coaches and schools to stop pursuing schools once it is signed.

Just Bill

OK, fine, but when the first kid pulls a banana slug out of their nose to announce their intention to go to UC-Santa Cruz, I'm done with it.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Just Bill on November 13, 2014, 10:12:42 PM
OK, fine, but when the first kid pulls a banana slug out of their nose to announce their intention to go to UC-Santa Cruz, I'm done with it.
You've just made me even more interested in D3 having signing day ;D
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Mr. Ypsi

How about when a kid pulls an anteater out of his butt to announce for UC-Irvine? ;D

Just Bill

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 13, 2014, 10:35:44 PM

How about when a kid pulls an anteater out of his butt to announce for UC-Irvine? ;D

They're not D-III so someone has probably already done that.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Gregory Sager

The banana-slug-out-of-the-nose trick would certainly be entertaining, but I could envision a YouTube video going viral if it entailed a Gustavus Adolphus recruit pulling a golden gustie out of some bodily orifice.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 14, 2014, 03:11:29 PM
The banana-slug-out-of-the-nose trick would certainly be entertaining, but I could envision a YouTube video going viral if it entailed a Gustavus Adolphus recruit pulling a golden gustie out of some bodily orifice.

Two questions: What exactly is a "golden gustie" ? Despite that I have three GACer in-laws, I've no idea what it might be (animal, vegetable, mineral?) As well, what "orifice" have you in mind?  ???

Gregory Sager

Both questions have been left to the imagination of others, Warren: the first by GACers and the second by me. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

FCGrizzliesGrad

I wonder where one would hide a grizzly bear ;D And how many injuries would result from said grizzly.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer