BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

I know neither of these is a CCIW program but the NESCAC and Grinnell (IA) just cancelled ALL spring sports. The NESCAC cancelled for the entire conference.

Is there talk of other institutions (or CCIW programs) leaning this way as well?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

mwunder

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 11, 2020, 03:50:28 PM
I know neither of these is a CCIW programs but the NESCAC and Grinnell (IA) just cancelled ALL spring sports. The NESCAC cancelled for the entire conference.

Is there talk of other institutions (or CCIW programs) leaning this way as well?

This is absolute horse hockey...an absolute liberal over-react.  The fact that senior seasons/college careers are being ended like this is beyond terrible.  I feel for all of these athletes as they watch their four years of off-season workouts, etc circle down the drain.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: mwunder on March 11, 2020, 04:00:38 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on March 11, 2020, 03:50:28 PM
I know neither of these is a CCIW programs but the NESCAC and Grinnell (IA) just cancelled ALL spring sports. The NESCAC cancelled for the entire conference.

This is absolute horse hockey...an absolute liberal over-react.

Well, that notoriously liberal institution Wheaton College is the first CCIW school to send its students home for the rest of the semester. Wheaton will finish out its spring semester as an online education institution. The cancellation of Wheaton's spring sports schedule will no doubt follow today's announcement within the next few days.

Quote from: mwunder on March 11, 2020, 04:00:38 PM
  The fact that senior seasons/college careers are being ended like this is beyond terrible.  I feel for all of these athletes as they watch their four years of off-season workouts, etc circle down the drain.

I think that we all feel that way -- including the decision-makers at Wheaton that just told their students not to come back from spring break.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

... and so it begins... will anyone be left playing by the end of the week?

Gregory Sager

Good question. The remainder of the 2020 CCIW baseball season is very much in doubt.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 12, 2020, 07:34:19 AM
... and so it begins... will anyone be left playing by the end of the week?

I think the entire 2020 season in done all over the country. Really tough spot for all involved.

BigPoppa

There are a few school districts starting to announce cancellations in MN as well. At least in terms of extending Spring Break an extra week or two.

Gregory Sager

It hasn't been officially announced yet, but North Park is going to the online-until-Easter-with-fingers-crossed format as well.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 12, 2020, 01:33:18 PM
It hasn't been officially announced yet, but North Park is going to the online-until-Easter-with-fingers-crossed format as well.

I have seen other schools doing the same. 

Mr. Ypsi

IWU lost to Beloit, 0-8, on Tuesday, then came back to beat U-Mass, Dartmouth, 4-2 earlier this afternoon.  Despite all the teams already being in Florida, the planned game against TCNJ on Sunday has been cancelled (and Wash U. has cancelled the three games planned at their field next weekend), so I suspect the game (if it happens ;)) against Simpson tomorrow may be the last game of the season.  While I've seen nothing so far about IWU cancelling the season, there may not be anyone to play!

Gregory Sager

If this was the last game of Ethan Sund's season, he went out with a bang. The reigning CCIW Pitcher of the Week tossed six innings of four-hit ball, giving up one run while walking only one and striking out seven, in NPU's 11-1 victory over Cornell in Winter Haven. Jake Reinhardt picked up three more hits, including his second homer of the year, and drove in five runs, while Jared Cantu scored four runs.

The Vikings were supposed to have played PSU-Abingdon later this afternoon. No word from either school as to whether that game was even played or not.

mr_b

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 12, 2020, 09:21:49 PM
If this was the last game of Ethan Sund's season, he went out with a bang. The reigning CCIW Pitcher of the Week tossed six innings of four-hit ball, giving up one run while walking only one and striking out seven, in NPU's 11-1 victory over Cornell in Winter Haven. Jake Reinhardt picked up three more hits, including his second homer of the year, and drove in five runs, while Jared Cantu scored four runs.

The Vikings were supposed to have played PSU-Abingdon later this afternoon. No word from either school as to whether that game was even played or not.
The Abington game is still on the schedule for tomorrow, according to the NPU website. 

Gregory Sager

It's now showing as "canceled," as well as Saturday's game against Wells.