BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_b

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 13, 2020, 12:12:00 AM
It's now showing as "canceled," as well as Saturday's game against Wells.
I see the Wells game is cancelled on the site, so the team is probably heading back north.  How disappointing for all the players across the country.

Gregory Sager

This afternoon's game against PSU-Abingdon is back on the schedule, after having been marked "cancelled" yesterday, so it looks like NPU is going to get in one last game.

Incidentally, Jake Reinhardt's homer yesterday was a grand slam.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Today's scheduled game against Simpson in Florida is now listed as cancelled.  There has been no official announcement, but I strongly suspect IWU's baseball season is over.  They finish 7-3.

duckfan41

The NCAA just announced that they will be providing Eligibility Relief to all athletes in spring sports for Division 1. I'm holding out hope that this same relief will be extended to D2 and D3 athletes as well if seasons truly are canceled.

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

mr_b

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 13, 2020, 10:41:07 PM
It's now official. The CCIW has canceled all spring sports.
Just heartbreaking for all the student-athletes, coaches, and fans.  And announcers.  It was shaping up to be an interesting race for the CCIW.

Gregory Sager

Titan Q

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu/2020/04/17/college-baseball-coaching-legend-bobby-winkles-arizona-state-dead-90/5158043002/

Bobby Winkles (IWU '52) has passed away. 

Winkles was 524-173 as the baseball coach at Arizona State and won 3 national championships ('65, '67, '69).  Also managed in Angles and A's in MLB.

Certainly a legendary Titan who will be missed.

BigPoppa

Does ANYone care to take a stab at the CCIW this year? With almost no 2020 season to use as a baseline, just about anything is possible in 2021. My top three:

1. North Central
2. IWU
3. Carthage

Tell me I am wrong...
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 05, 2021, 03:45:29 PM
Does ANYone care to take a stab at the CCIW this year? With almost no 2020 season to use as a baseline, just about anything is possible in 2021. My top three:

1. North Central
2. IWU
3. Carthage

Tell me I am wrong...

North Park has four All-CCIW players returning this season (3B/C Ranko Stevanovic, SS Jake Reinhardt, CF Jared Cantu, and P Ethan Sund), every one of its starting position players, and a ton of experienced arms besides Sund in seniors Justin Woolbright and Brendan Russ, juniors Tyler Banks, Logan Peters, and Jeremy Meger, and sophomore Bobby Bartlett. While I recognize that NCC is the team to beat, I like NPU's chances.

BigPoppa

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Gregory Sager

The other coaches don't share my enthusiasm for NPU's chances. Nor do they share yours for Carthage's:

1. North Central  60 (5)
2. Illinois Wesleyan  51 (1)
3. Millikin  45 (1)
4. Augustana  39
5. North Park  38
6. Carthage  36 (1)
7. Wheaton  32 (1)
8. Elmhurst  13
9. Carroll  10

It's hard to draw any conclusions two weeks into the season, except that Elmhurst and Carroll appear to have pretty woeful pitching staffs. Carroll was absolutely dismembered the other day by Concordia (WI) to the tune of 31-11. I mean, kudos to the two coaches for agreeing to play the full nine innings in order to give more players some varsity game action, but still ... .

Ironically, Carthage and North Park are the two teams who have yet to play a game. The Vikings are opening their 2021 campaign today with a doubleheader at Dominican, while the newly-dubbed Firebirds open theirs tomorrow afternoon with a twinbill in Kenosha against hapless Ripon.

Gregory Sager

North Park wins the season opener, 14-2, in nine innings at Wintrust Field in Schaumburg. Ethan Sund was impeccable over the first four innings, allowing only a single and a pair of walks while striking out seven Dominican batters. Justin Woolbright pitched the remaining five innings; he kept the shutout going until there were two outs in the ninth, which is when the Stars did all of their damage. Looked to me like Woolbright was tired, given that the pitchers aren't stretched out yet, but that Luke Johnson and NPU pitching coach Jake Upwood wanted him to push through it. That can be a big part of what goes on the first couple times out for rotation pitchers. (I suspect that Sund came out after four because Luke Johnson wants to start him on Tuesday at Illinois Wesleyan.)

Woolbright had the batting highlight of the game, a fifth-inning grand slam over the "Cheer On The Boomers" sign in straightaway left.

The nightcap against the Stars will begin shortly.

Gregory Sager

Elmhurst dropped a 7-4 decision to previously winless Eureka at the Corn Crib in Normal this afternoon. And, in a bit of a surprise, North Central was blanked by Adrian, 4-0, as Charlie Klemm had a rough outing and his Cardinals teammates could only muster two hits against the Bulldogs pitchers.

Gregory Sager

North Park claimed the sweep, beating Dominican in the second game by a 7-1 score. Tyler Banks threw five really solid innings, surrendering a single, a walk, and a hit batsman while striking out seven. Bobby Bartlett finished out the game with four solid innings on the mound.