MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unanimous22

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 29, 2020, 08:44:30 PM
Possible upset alert from B'town:  IWU leads NCC, 42-34, at the half.

Is it that big of an upset though? Yes, NCC is ranked #13 but it's always tough to go on the road vs a competent team like IWU. I'd call it a slight upset.

mr_b

Quote from: markerickson on January 29, 2020, 08:41:33 PM
In Decatur, NPU up 37-19 at halftime.  The Vikings' Marek is 4/4 from beyond the arc.  Can the visitors put together two good halves ala their recent victory against Bosko's boys?
Yes, the Vikings prevail, 75-63. Toby Marek had 31 points for North Park.

Mr. Ypsi

FINAL:  IWU 77, NCC 71.  And, yes, I would call that a big upset considering how IWU has stumbled this season.

Greek Tragedy

Live stats shows Augie hitting a three at the buzzer to beat Elmhurst 94-93 after Elmhurst hit one of two FTs with 6 seconds left.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Titan Q

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 29, 2020, 09:59:28 PM
Live stats shows Augie hitting a three at the buzzer to beat Elmhurst 94-93 after Elmhurst hit one of two FTs with 6 seconds left.

https://twitter.com/IWUhoopscom/status/1222715951570919426?s=20

voxelmhurst

:-X :-X :-X >:(

I am in full Jim Mora mode right now!

In the final 26 seconds, Elmhurst turned the ball over and missed a FT on their next possession. Gift wrapped one up tonight in Rock Island. .

Titan Q

IWU 77
#13-NCC 71

https://www.iwusports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=7260&path=mbball

* Luke Yoder (Fr.): 17 pts, 3 reb, 4 assists
* Matt Leritz (So.): 17 pts, 8 reb, 4 assists
* Keondre Schumacher (So.): 17 pts, 2 assists
* Cory Noe (So.): 11 pts, 2 assists
* Pete Lambesis (So.): 10 pts

* Connor Raridon: 15 pts, 9 reb, 5 assists
* Matt Cappelletti: 12 pts, 7 reb

Really great performance by the Titans, who are now right in the thick of the title race.

IWU got 72 of its 77 points from sophomores and a freshman.  The other 5 from a junior.

iwu70

Real nice win at home for our very young TITANS.  Should give some new confidence to take down NCC. 

Great game in Rock Island . . . EC will feel bad about letting that one slip away. 

One has to be positive about IWU's future with such a good crew of very young players, all playing well tonight at The Shirk. 

'70 

Titan Q

Quote from: AndOne on January 12, 2020, 05:25:04 PM
'70 is correct in that IWU freshman Luke Yoder has performed well so far in his initial CCIW campaign.
However, it appears that a vulnerability may have been exposed in the last game vs. North Central.
In that game, the Cardinals put Blaise Meredith on Yoder who, when the Green Team took the floor, looked almost tiny compared to most of the other players on the court. Yoder is listed as 6'0" and 170.
While, in truth, that might be exaggerating things, lets assume it is correct. Meredith is 6'4" with great quickness and leaping ability. With at least a 4 inch height advantage and superior athleticism, he was able to blanket Mr. Yoder with almost constant pressure, and render him almost totally ineffective. Yoder went 0 for 9 in the game, including 0 for 6 on three pointers, two of which failed to even reach the basket.
While not all teams have a player with Meredith's physical attributes, it appears those that do might be able to to limit Yoder's present day effectiveness.

Looks like freshman Luke Yoder adjusted.

Viking Mike

Wow what a finish in Rock Island!  This is why I love CCIW basketball and these Augustana Vikings!

Augie played great tonight...and still had their hands full with an exceptional Elmhurst team.  They have so many offensive weapons.

The Elmhurst technical gave us a chance and the Vikings certainly took advantage of it.  Biggest game of the year and Pierson Wofford is Man of the Year!

This gives Augie that signature win, but more work to do.

Great call on the game by Chris and Dan!

Can't wait until the next game in Carver....................................

Titan Q

Standings:

Elmhurst 8-2
North Central 8-2
Augustana 7-3
Illinois Wesleyan 6-3
Wheaton 6-3
-----
Carthage 4-6
Carroll 2-8
North Park 2-8
Millikin 1-9

Five can win it.

iwumichigander

Quote from: voxelmhurst on January 27, 2020, 11:26:47 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 25, 2020, 10:39:35 PM
It'd been listed on the schedule as a 4 pm tipoff for at least a week now, if not longer.

I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect that Elmhurst wanted to play an afternoon doubleheader, as has become their tradition, and NPU acceded to the request. I've never quite understood Elmhurst's penchant for wanting to play Saturday afternoon games. Perhaps one of our EC posters can clue us in on that.

I'm not sure why Elmhurst changed their Saturday norm around 6/7 years ago to favor Saturday afternoon games. Off the top of my head I would think that the other schools (as well as families/friends of Elmhurst players who live a few hours from campus) might appreciate being able to get back home at a more reasonable hour on a Saturday.
Elmhurst has a lot of commuter students that take the Metra or drive.  Their website has numerous pages devoted to commuters.  Seems to me the start time change had something to do with getting more off campus/commuters to attend.

iwumichigander

Quote from: unanimous22 on January 29, 2020, 09:39:51 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 29, 2020, 08:44:30 PM
Possible upset alert from B'town:  IWU leads NCC, 42-34, at the half.

Is it that big of an upset though? Yes, NCC is ranked #13 but it's always tough to go on the road vs a competent team like IWU. I'd call it a slight upset.
Nah, with the result In Rock Island, a big upset. Either elmhurst or North Central could have been sitting all alone in first place.  Now you truly have an any team could win regular conference title.

iwu70

Great shot by Wofford  . . . way out there and nothing but net.  Wow.

Yoder had a great game tonight . . . but all the young Titans played well.  Leritz coming into his own too. 

Now we have a race on our hands. 

'70

iwumichigander

Titan observations - speed, quickness, development and maturity.

Speed - this is not the typical Titan team seen the past several seasons.  This team can run, help and recover on defense and getting much better running fast break.

Quickness - can not crowd or cheat off defending 1-3 spots.  This group will blow by most defenders if get a first step.

Development - getting better every game.  Still learning but learning albeit sometimes the hard way. Getting better at the little things which do not show in the score book or stat sheets.

Maturity - you see the confidence growing every game.  Often have 4 of 5 on the floor in freshmen and sophomores but increasingly not playing like it.

Frustration - it's probably me but if you are not hitting the three take it to the hoop and or the 10-12 foot two till your shot starts to fall in the hoop.

Tonight it was fast break and paint points that opened up the game for IWU.  It was the maturity to take the ball to hoop for a make, trip to the free throw line or hitting the cutter.  It was really nice to watch.