MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: magicman on April 10, 2020, 06:55:20 AM
ESPN's Scott Van Pelt has been honoring seniors the past few weeks and tonight, April 9th, he had on Sports Center the Brockport State Golden Eagles.

ESPN started with the video of Tyler Collins making the half court shot at the buzzer, to end the first half of the NCAA 1st round game against Coast Guard, that Brockport won 92-86.

Then they showed a video of the Golden Eagles celebrating in the locker room but I'm not sure if that celebration they were showing, took place after the win over Coast Guard or if it was the next day after the Golden Eagles defeated Middlebury. It was funny to see Coach Dunne and the other coaches jumping up and down, right in the middle of the team, as they were getting doused by all of the players with their Gatorade bottles. It was such a celebration I'm thinking it was after the 2nd round win over Middlebury that put Brockport into the Sweet 16.

I sure wish the team had the chance to play on.

It was nice to see them get some love by ESPN and the seniors get a mention.

Two days ago ESPN featured the Plattsburgh State Women's Hockey Team who were ranked #1 all year long and were favored to win the National Championship. It would have been the Cardinals 2nd straight title and 6th one in the last 7 years. They also set a record back on November 30th, 2019, of 26 consecutive wins. It's the longest winning streak in NCAA Division III women's ice hockey history. They are currently on an 18 game winning streak which is the longest active winning streak in NCAA Division III women's ice hockey.

Plattsburgh State also set the record for the longest home winning streak in NCAA Division III women's ice hockey as the Cardinals defeated Oswego State, 3-0, on Saturday, Nov. 9, for their 29th consecutive home win. The Cardinals' home winning streak now stands at 40 games and counting, after they went undefeated at home (14-0-0) on the season.

Nice to see the SUNYAC get mentioned on ESPN twice within a few days.

Nice to see that you were able to catch that. Was it listed in the programming? Too bad everyone else probably missed it!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

magicman

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on April 10, 2020, 02:52:03 PM
Quote from: magicman on April 10, 2020, 06:55:20 AM
ESPN's Scott Van Pelt has been honoring seniors the past few weeks and tonight, April 9th, he had on Sports Center the Brockport State Golden Eagles.

ESPN started with the video of Tyler Collins making the half court shot at the buzzer, to end the first half of the NCAA 1st round game against Coast Guard, that Brockport won 92-86.

Then they showed a video of the Golden Eagles celebrating in the locker room but I'm not sure if that celebration they were showing, took place after the win over Coast Guard or if it was the next day after the Golden Eagles defeated Middlebury. It was funny to see Coach Dunne and the other coaches jumping up and down, right in the middle of the team, as they were getting doused by all of the players with their Gatorade bottles. It was such a celebration I'm thinking it was after the 2nd round win over Middlebury that put Brockport into the Sweet 16.

I sure wish the team had the chance to play on.

It was nice to see them get some love by ESPN and the seniors get a mention.

Two days ago ESPN featured the Plattsburgh State Women's Hockey Team who were ranked #1 all year long and were favored to win the National Championship. It would have been the Cardinals 2nd straight title and 6th one in the last 7 years. They also set a record back on November 30th, 2019, of 26 consecutive wins. It's the longest winning streak in NCAA Division III women's ice hockey history. They are currently on an 18 game winning streak which is the longest active winning streak in NCAA Division III women's ice hockey.

Plattsburgh State also set the record for the longest home winning streak in NCAA Division III women's ice hockey as the Cardinals defeated Oswego State, 3-0, on Saturday, Nov. 9, for their 29th consecutive home win. The Cardinals' home winning streak now stands at 40 games and counting, after they went undefeated at home (14-0-0) on the season.

Nice to see the SUNYAC get mentioned on ESPN twice within a few days.

Nice to see that you were able to catch that. Was it listed in the programming? Too bad everyone else probably missed it!

Greek,
No it wasn't listed. For the past several weeks Scott Van Pelt has been doing a feature each night on Sports Center called Senior Night. He's usually been featuring anywhere from 4 to 6 teams each night and talking about their accomplishments this year annd how they were deprived of a possible State championship in a high school sport or  NCAA bid in a college sport. He always mentions the graduating seniors, sometimes first and last names if there is only a couple or just the first names if there are 4 or more.  He's featured a number of D3 schools as well as high schools, D2 schools and of course D1 schools. I know he featured both Clarkson hockey teams..men's and women's as I caught the show that night. Had the MIT baseball team on a few nights ago also. Friday night was he last night they were going to do that. Not sure why..they should do it until this entire covid-19 is over. it's not like they have all this content they have to get on the air.     

Smitty Oom

Yes it is fun to watch, great idea for a segment. I know I saw Whitman women's basketball team being featured about two weeks ago. I think there was a mens team too, but I cannot remember off the top of my head.

magicman

Quote from: Smitty Oom on April 11, 2020, 11:26:26 AM
Yes it is fun to watch, great idea for a segment. I know I saw Whitman women's basketball team being featured about two weeks ago. I think there was a mens team too, but I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Yes Smitty, there's been a number of teams from Division III in various sports. I don't understand why they are stopping this segment. They should keep doing this for as long as all the pro sports leagues are shut down. I'd rather see that content than some of the junk they are throwing out there as filler time.

Last night (Friday the 10th) was the last night they planned to do Senior Night. I watched it and they did a fast talking segment, mentioning a bunch of high schools from different parts of the country. Crammed in more than usual because it was the last night but there's no reason they can't extend it and mention many more schools.

Caz Bombers

Hobart assistant Sean Smiley named head coach at Fredonia.

magicman

When the Ivy League canceled their fall sports back on July 8th I figured it wouldn't be long before many more colleges followed suit. If the SUNYAC is canceling their sports program and New York is now one of the best states in the country with covid -19 on the decline here, what are other conferences going to do in the 40 states (at last count) that are currently showing big increases in new cases of the virus? I can see another year without college sports.

On another front, the NBC nightly news, tonight, said a vaccine in Britain looked very promising and could be out by the end of the year or early 2021. Supposedly the US has ordered 300 million doses. Possibly a light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope all my D3 friends are safe and in good health. Keep wearing the mask and doing the social distancing thing.       

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The off season has hit August and with it has come news of Division III Fall Championships being canceled for the same reason Winter Championships were derailed and Spring Championships pulled earlier this year: COVID 19 Pandemic.

The decision came on the heals of a vast majority of DIII institutions curtailing fall sports and many pushing winter sports starts on their campuses until January at the earliest.

What does this mean for the 2020-21 season of college basketball? Specifically what does it mean for Division III? Will there be a basketball season? Will it be a six-week-or-so-sprint? Or is there a way to adjust things?

On the Mid-Summer edition of the Hoopsville Podcast, we try and get some answers to those questions. We talk to one coach who actually has put together a proposal to start the season in January, with some changes to make it work including crowning a champion in April. And we talk to an administrator who also serves on the DIII Management Council to better under stand the decisions made to cancel championships and if shift a season like basketball is even possible.

Plus, we honor the best of the best in the last decade of Division III women's basketball. Gordon Mann joins us to discuss how the 2nd D3hoops.com Women's All-Decade came together (and hints of work on the men's list).

Guests include:
- Philip Ponder, Oglethorpe men's coach
- Jason Fein, Bates Athletics Director and DIII Management Council member
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. A few things we take note of that have made headlines since the beginning of July. We also tip our hat to a few of those who have always helped the show be it's best.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kGZ962

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Caz Bombers

https://sunyacsports.com/general/2020-21/releases/20201006elhb0i

Feb 1 start to league play, division only double round robin. Not sure if they're doing any OOC games.

magicman

Quote from: Caz Bombers on October 06, 2020, 04:02:30 PM
https://sunyacsports.com/general/2020-21/releases/20201006elhb0i

Feb 1 start to league play, division only double round robin. Not sure if they're doing any OOC games.

I realize they are splitting into two divisions to cut down on travel, which will limit the regular season schedule to just 8 games. The SUNYAC office also wanted to preserve the eligibility of the student-athletes by playing less than 50 percent of the allowable contests. I assume the allowable contest number is less than 50% of 25 which is the regular season max. So that should mean the SUNYAC schools could play 4 OOC games and still be safely within the NCAA rules.

In the case of Plattsburgh we have Clarkson, Canton, St. Lawrence, and Middlebury all within a short distance and all 4 teams have been on our schedule in the past. I'm hopeful something can be worked out so that we can play those schools.

Other schools in the YAC also have regular OOC schools that they play every year that are close to them. A 12 game regular season schedule should be easy to assemble and give the players, especially the seniors that are graduating, a little more of a season.

I hope that the reduced schedule becomes a reality. This pandemic seems to be gaining strength again as the number of new cases in the US has been increasing recently. We don't know what will happen in the next few months.         

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

NCAA Tournament games are counting in the 12 game limit, so if teams have plans to win, they may want to save the non-con games.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ronk

Or going with an individual player allocation strategy of keeping selective players out of selective games(OOC or not) so that you'll have enough for all 6 rounds of the tourney. I'd choose to just go with the full bore option that if we get in to the tourney(with the 12 game limit) then we play every player even if it causes a full season of eligibility.
  No one knows the future in these uncertain times.
  NCAA Div I voted to give eligibility relief to winter-sport athletes regardless of how many games they play during the 2020-21 academic year. It remains to be seen if Div 3 will do the same.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: ronk on October 15, 2020, 10:59:33 AM
Or going with an individual player allocation strategy of keeping selective players out of selective games(OOC or not) so that you'll have enough for all 6 rounds of the tourney. I'd choose to just go with the full bore option that if we get in to the tourney(with the 12 game limit) then we play every player even if it causes a full season of eligibility.
  No one knows the future in these uncertain times.
  NCAA Div I voted to give eligibility relief to winter-sport athletes regardless of how many games they play during the 2020-21 academic year. It remains to be seen if Div 3 will do the same.

It's not player games, it's team games.  If you get a DNP, but your team plays, it counts as a game for you.

You've also got guys who won't use the extra year of eligibility, even if they get it.  There are a lot of variables at play.  I think they'll change some of the guidance with regards to eligibility.  It's not fair for a player to get an extra year because his team didn't make the NCAA tournament and another to lose the year by losing in round one.  I don't think they'll let that scenario play out.

We'll know more after this week, when all the relevant NCAA committees are meeting.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ryan is correct per the blanket waiver ... if a student-athlete decides to participate and doesn't play in three games, but the team plays in 13 ... despite the factor the player is at 10 games doesn't matter. The TEAM played 13 and thus the blanket waiver is gone.

This is similar in nature to medical red-shirt rules. The player's games played versus the number of games the team played. A player who plays in 8 games and the team played in 24 will have a different answer on the red-shirt request than a player who played in 8 games but the team played in 29.

As for committee meetings, more are taking place this and next week. We may not get an answer for a little while longer, but I don't expect a lot of changes here.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Bengalsrule