Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnightSlappy

Trying to keep this up to date. Let me know if I've missed anything in the discussion here:

Conference Changes Starting in 2018-2019
Bryn Athyn leaves the NEAC for the CSAC
Cabrini leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Castleton leaves the NAC for the LEC
Colby-Sawyer leaves the NAC for the GNAC
Eastern Nazarene leaves the CCC for the NECC
Ferrum leaves the USAC for the ODAC
Green Mountain leaves the NAC and D3 for the NAIA
Gwynedd Mercy leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Illinois Tech joins the NACC
Immaculata leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Johnson and Wales (Col.) joins the SCAC (1st year provisional in 2018-19)
Maine-Presque Isle leaves the ACAA for the NAC
Marymount leaves the CAC for the AEC
Marywood leaves the CSAC for the AEC
Mount Ida closes and leaves the GNAC and D3
Neumann leaves the CSAC for the AEC
New England College leaves the NAC for the NECC
Pratt joins the ACAA (exploratory member in 2018-19)
St. Joseph (Conn.) adds men's basketball in the GNAC
St. Thomas (TX) joins the SCAC (exploratory member in 2018-19)
SUNY Canton leaves the ACAA for the NAC
Thomas More leaves the PAC for ACAA
Wesley leaves the CAC for the AEC
Wheelock (NECC) discontinues athletics, school merges with Boston U
Wilson leaves the NEAC for the CSAC

Provisional Pipeline for 2018-2019
First year full members: Alfred State, Illinois Tech, Iowa Wesleyan, McMurry (reclassifying)
*4th year provisional members: Belhaven
*3rd year provisional members: none
2nd year provisional members: Brevard (reclassifying), Dean, Pfeiffer (reclassifying, assumed approval at this point)
1st year provisional members: SUNY-Delhi, Johnson and Wales (Col.)
Exploratory: Bob Jones, Pratt, University of St Thomas (TX), Mississippi University for Women (no men's basketball players).
*Games against Year 3 and 4 provisional members count the same as games against full-members for regional-ranking and tournament selection purposes

Conference Changes Starting in 2019-2020
Benedictine leaves D3 for D2
Frostburg State leaves D3 for D2
Manhattanville leaves the MACF for the SKY
Penn State-Harrisburg leaves the CAC for a return to the NEAC
St. Elizabeth leaves the NEAC for the CSAC
Texas-Tyler leaves D3 for D2
Thomas More possibly leaves D3 for the NAIA

Just Bill

Benedictine leaves D3 for D2 beginning in 2019-20.
UT-Tyler leaves D3 for D2 beginning (I think) in 2019-20.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: Just Bill on July 16, 2018, 04:29:29 PM
Benedictine leaves D3 for D2 beginning in 2019-20.
UT-Tyler leaves D3 for D2 beginning (I think) in 2019-20.

Thanks!

FCGrizzliesGrad

Also missing Alfred St leaving ACAA for AMCC in 19-20
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Keep in mind with Frostburg that their "decision" has not been approved by DII/NCAA. That won't happen for another 12 months. The deadline to apply is Feb. 1, 2019 and then the process takes until early to mid July at the latest before DII makes the decision.

I am not saying FSU isn't going to end up in DII, but there is still a lot of time for that to happen/be confirmed.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

gordonmann

This month's Around the Nation podcast will interest folks who like to track news on this board.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/07/atn-conference-shuffle

mailsy

Interesting that '12' is the number that the conferences are looking to get to. I guess they would split into 6 team "divisions"? Also I'll have to find out who were the 4? I have a good idea, but very curious.
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Greek Tragedy

Speaking of 12, the GNAC moves to that number next season, but, they will only play a single round robin conference schedule. With only 11 conference games, are they trying to bolster their SOS with more non-conference games? The GNAC is tradionally a pretty weak conference in terms of SOS, isn't it?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Also remember that not all schools support all sports in a conference. By moving to "12" they can play the odds that all of their sports are AQ eligible.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on July 30, 2018, 01:04:55 PM
Speaking of 12, the GNAC moves to that number next season, but, they will only play a single round robin conference schedule. With only 11 conference games, are they trying to bolster their SOS with more non-conference games? The GNAC is tradionally a pretty weak conference in terms of SOS, isn't it?

The women's side is bigger, which we also have to remember.  I wonder if they're planning to get bigger and preparing for growth?  Still a lot of movement likely to happen in New England in the coming years.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hickory_cornhusker

Is this the appropriate place to mention the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Confernce has changed its name to the American Rivers Conference? Apparently Nebraska Wesleyan has earned the right to not be disenfranchised by its own conference's name when it won the men's basketball national championship. Trine and St. Mary's (IN) should take note.

http://iowaconference.com/news/2018/8/7/american-rivers-conference.aspx

Ralph Turner

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on August 11, 2018, 09:25:48 AM
Is this the appropriate place to mention the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Confernce has changed its name to the American Rivers Conference? Apparently Nebraska Wesleyan has earned the right to not be disenfranchised by its own conference's name when it won the men's basketball national championship. Trine and St. Mary's (IN) should take note.

From the press release...

Quote..."This is a milestone day for our conference," said Dr. Joshua Merchant, President of Buena Vista University and Chair of the conference's Presidents Council. "Our name will change, but our commitment to competitive athletics as part of a well-rounded educational experience will not."

The conference employed Skye Design Studios (www.sdsbranding.com), a national leader in sport branding and identity design, for the various phases of the exercise that produced the new name and "Dynamic R"-focused mark. "I am honored, on behalf of the Presidents Council, to bring this new identity to the conference's community of student-athletes, coaches, administrators, alumni and fans," said commissioner Chuck Yrigoyen. "This announcement caps off months of careful thought by scores of people on our campuses."

The Conference's origin dates back to December 8, 1922, when representatives from 12 colleges gathered to establish the "Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Association." Charter members Buena Vista, Central, Luther and Simpson have remained throughout. Loras was a member from 1926-54 and rejoined in 1986. Dubuque joined in 1929. Wartburg joined in 1937. Coe became a member in 1997. Nebraska Wesleyan gained admission in 2016."

Having thrown off the 96-year constraints of the word "Iowa" and with a name change like that, the ARC is poised to gobble up any- and everything in its path.

guest323

not sure if it's on here, but I'm hearing that Bob Jones U is going D3 in the near future

Ralph Turner

Quote from: guest323 on August 11, 2018, 10:32:55 AM
not sure if it's on here, but I'm hearing that Bob Jones U is going D3 in the near future
Yes, they are in the exploratory year.

However, there are no tributaries of the Mississippi or Missouri Rivers near the Bob Jones U campus, so they will need to find another conference.
;)   ;D   :)  ::)

KnightSlappy

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on August 11, 2018, 09:25:48 AM

In the case of the MIAA, I take 'Michigan' to refer to the geologic formatiin of the Michigan Basin, in which the Trine and St. Mary's campuses are located.