MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bengalsrule

Quote from: All-Time on January 23, 2019, 01:09:29 PM
So Happy for the Buffalo State Bengals.
Quality win last night against Brockport.
I know one guy that is walking on water today. ;D
Hopefully this gets them going.

After Magicman's Cardinals losing 2 straight last weekend.
The SUNYAC is open for the taking.

Excited to see what teams will show up down the stretch.

Let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Amen!

spwood

I don't think you can say the league is "open for the taking" until someone beats Oswego.  They have a two game lead in the standings now.  At the moment, I would say there is a battle for second place, but the regular season title is Oswego's to lose...

All-Time

spwood- Probably true.

But in the SUNYAC anything can happen.
A lot of tough games down the stretch fro all the top teams.

Just enjoying the madness.

Bengalsrule

Quote from: spwood on January 24, 2019, 10:23:34 AM

I don't think you can say the league is "open for the taking" until someone beats Oswego.  They have a two game lead in the standings now.  At the moment, I would say there is a battle for second place, but the regular season title is Oswego's to lose...

I would agree that at THIS point its Oswego's to lose but I wouldn't start ordering Oswego SUNYAC Host t shirts just yet. 5 of their last 7 games are on the road including at Potsdam, Brockport and Plattsburgh.  No one is guaranteed anything yet but as the 2nd half of SUNYAC begins tomorrow, we know that many of these contests will came down to the wire. Hopefully All Time will keep us updated on the standings over the last 2 weeks!  Only in the Yac can a top 20 team lose twice on the road.  That's an indication (I believe ) of how strong this league is. I convinced that the Yac is , at minimum, a 3 bid league!

Go BENGALS!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Suddenly the end of January is upon us! Where has the season gone? We are past the halfway point, conference action is now in it's second go-around (for most), and the matter of regional rankings and conference tournaments is becoming more real.

Teams who have had unbelievable starts, but have not faltered, are now in the spotlight. The question is no longer "can they keep this up?" But rather, the question has become, "how did they get this good?" Tonight, we ask versions of that last question.

Thursday on Hoopsville, We will hear from St. Thomas who hasn't been the MIAC dominator the last few years, but is back on top in a far more competitive conference. Oswego men have already knocked the SUNYAC boss, Plattsburgh off the pedestal. And Southern Virginia women have startled the entire conference. We find out how a first-year coach with no Division III experience has shocked everyone.

Plus, we chat with Oberlin's women's coach who has not only preached diversity, but created an environment for his program and the conference that reiterates open and safe environments. It has also thrust the team high into the NCAC race.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Thursday's edition will air live starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2FXlhXN (or via Facebook Live and Periscope simulcasts).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media below.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- John Tauer, No. 7 St. Thomas men's coach
- Jason Leone, Oswego State men's coach
- Kerry Jenkins, Oberlin women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Matt Wardenburg, Southern Virginia women's coach
- James Wagner, CSAC Assistant Commissioner (NCAA Convention report)

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

magicman

Jan. 25  Four conference games on the schedule for today

Geneseo State  @  Potsdam State                 7:30 PM

The Knights finally ended their 6 game losing streak and would like to streak in the other direction. The Bears came oh so close to extending their modest 3 game winning streak when they came up just short at Oswego the other night losing 72-70. The playoffs are in the picture for the Bears for the first time in 8 years and now they have their sights set on a first round home game. It starts with games like this one. They lost by double figures last month at Geneseo, they need to turn the tables tonight or their hopes for a home playoff game could disappear.

The Bears have lost 11 games in a row to the Knights yet the oddsmakers have made them 9 point favorites in this game. Tonight could be the night that Potsdam finally puts an end to that losing streak. Potsdam 83 Geneseo 77.     

Buffalo State  @  Cortland State                7:30 PM

The Bengals have a new lease on life. With the win over Brockport on Tuesday, the demons have been exorcised and all is well in the Queen City. At least for the last few days. Tonight another demon raises its head and roars. Will the Bengals be able to slay this dragon and start a streak. Cortland will be formidable, while Oswego lies in wait on Saturday. That would be one helluva trifecta....Port, Cort, and the Lakers, all in one week....the stuff dreams are made of.

Cortland rebounded nicely from the narrow loss to Potsdam by taking down Plattsburgh the very next day. They can't afford another loss if they want the top seed. The oddsmakers have them listed as an 8 point home favorite. The Bengals are talented but young, Cortland is a veteran team and more consistent. I'll go with Cortland to win by a few. Red Dragons 87 Bengals 82. 

Fredonia State  @  Oswego State                 7:30 PM

Three teams with six wins....Brockport, Cortland and Plattsburgh, now chasing Oswego with nine. The six win teams cannot afford another loss or their hope for the top seed will evaporate. The Lakers may have already opened up enough daylight to win the regular season, although the other 3 teams will have something to say about that.

Fredonia is working hard to get better. Improvement is the goal at this stage of the season. They are huge underdogs in this game as the oddsmakers have made the Lakers a 30 point favorite. Oswego won the first meeting in Fredonia by 34 points, and the Blue Devils can expect the same rude treatment when they pile into Max Ziel Gym tonight. Oswego 78 Fredonia 50.

Brockport State  @   Plattsburgh State        7:30 PM  The Featured Game of the Day

There's a lot on the line for these two teams when they tangle tonight in Memorial Hall. Neither team can afford a 4th loss if they still hope to host the conference tournament. Plattsburgh needs to avenge their 1 point loss at Brockport last month should the tiebreaker come in play later.

Both teams come into the game off a losing effort last time out and in the Cardinals' case, they are on a two game losing streak. It's their first 2 game losing streak in over 13 months. The oddsmakers have made Plattsburgh a 5 point home favorite and I expect the usual close game that is always a part of this rivalry. Plattsburgh wins this one 85-81.                                                   

All-Time

They are drinking the cool aid in Potsdam. ;D
Magicman's alma mater is having a great season.
You know that Magic Wand is out in full force for DAAAAA BEARS.
When was the last time they were 5-3 in conference play.
Really think this season is one of the most competitive in years.
Still think the YAC is one of the toughest conferences in the country.

Enjoy the games this weekend.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Wondering if anyone listened to Jason Leone on Hoopsville last night ... there is a particular reason I am asking. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

thebear

Quote from: All-Time on January 25, 2019, 12:06:01 PM

When was the last time they were 5-3 in conference play.

Actually after the tough loss at Oswego on Tuesday, Da Bears stand at 5-4.  But they have Oswego, Brockport, Cortland, Plattsburgh and Genny at home during the second half of the season.  Their remaining road games are at teams they have already faced [and came out on the winning end of the score], Buff State, Fredonia, New Paltz, and Oneonta.  SUNYAC is tough, and the weather this winter doesn't make things easier.  I remember Buffalo - Fredonia road trips from Potsdam in mid winter, not for the faint of heart.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Bengalsrule

Quote from: All-Time on January 25, 2019, 12:06:01 PM

Really think this season is one of the most competitive in years.
Still think the YAC is one of the toughest conferences in the country.

Enjoy the games this weekend.

I couldn't agree with you more All Time    The YAC is back!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

SUNYAC is tough ... no one will doubt that. Maybe Top 15 ... will have to dive into that. It is a bit like the MAC Commonwealth, which I think is the most competitive conference, though not one of the Top 10 or 15 conferences in the country. The problem is they don't produce a lot of national contenders despite being absolutely the worst gauntlet to go through.

For those wondering, my top five conferences in terms of competitiveness plus producing top quality teams (this season's rankings):

1 - WIAC
2 - CCIW
3 - NESCAC
4 - ODAC
5 - MIAC/UAA

The MIAC and UAA can go back and forth. I think the MIAC has the edge right now due to the fact they have better national powers and an incredible grind.

Along with those six and in no particular order, the NCAC, OAC, NJAC, NEWMAC, ARC, and NWC are some of the others you have to have in this conversation. I am not sure where the SUNYAC fits into that conversation right now.

magicman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 25, 2019, 01:30:21 PM
Wondering if anyone listened to Jason Leone on Hoopsville last night ... there is a particular reason I am asking. :)

I listened to Jason last night, the entire interview. What's your reason? I'm off to the Cardinals' games in 10 minutes but will respond later tonight.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: magicman on January 25, 2019, 05:17:55 PM

I listened to Jason last night, the entire interview. What's your reason? I'm off to the Cardinals' games in 10 minutes but will respond later tonight.

He talked about you and the rest of the group here. :)

magicman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 25, 2019, 09:41:25 PM

I heard that and I know he reads the boards because he has thanked me for all the posts I do to promote our league. He's having another great year....dammit!  By the way it was a good show.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: magicman on January 26, 2019, 12:08:05 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 25, 2019, 09:41:25 PM

I heard that and I know he reads the boards because he has thanked me for all the posts I do to promote our league. He's having another great year....dammit!  By the way it was a good show.

Thank you. We try to do our best.