captj

PREDICTIONS

Wednesday (2/1)
Greensboro at Methodist – MC in a nail biter
Ferrum at Averett – AU by 20
CNU at Shenandoah – CNU by at least 10

leroy

Quote from: captj on January 31, 2006, 04:43:29 PM
What could mess up an academic plan more than transferring after 3.5 years?  The school giving out the diploma is only going to do so if the student has accumulated the majority of his/her credits at that school.  Maybe Berg didn't accumulate many credits at Eckerd and therefore wasn't close to graduation anyway.

What I meant is that if someone has been in school for 3.5 years he has proven he can handle college work and by that point he can make an educated decidion on what he wants to do.  By his senior year he knows (or should know) how many credits he needs to finish and what impact a transfer has on his plan. 

Who knows- maybe he only needs 1 more class, like Matt Leinart this year, and transferred to go out in style.  Or maybe he just needed to do student teaching or an internship left?

Anyway, when someone transfers as a soph they proably haven't considered graduation yet and see the classes they take as just endless credits like in high school.  Then they transfer and find out they wasted money and time by taking classes that don't fit into their new academic plan at the new school.

You might be right, maybe the 3.5 year transfer is an acedmic issue with him.  But I said I'd give him the benefit of the doubt because he proved his ability to handle the work for 3.5 years.

narch

leroy - you can spin it all you want, but a student transferring after 3.5 years at ANY institution is HIGHLY unusual, and i can understand why some would question it

Quote from: leroy on February 01, 2006, 09:39:01 AMWho knows- maybe he only needs 1 more class, like Matt Leinart this year, and transferred to go out in style.  Or maybe he just needed to do student teaching or an internship left?

this is DIRECTLY from the gc academic catalogue

"Transfer students must complete a minimum of 31 hours at Greensboro College to graduate from Greensboro College."

doesn't seem likely that he has just one class or an internship or student teaching, since he'll need 31 sh to graduate from gc...tough to do in one semester, probably impossible

narch

to move on from berg...here are my picks for tonight

cnu, averett and greensboro will be victorious

i just don't have faith in my monarchs right now, but maybe they'll make me look foolish for picking against them

it should be a good sized crowd..."take a kid to the game" and spirit night (hope the students don't get TOO spirited if there are kids around)...if the monarch maniachs (or riddle rowdies...i can't decide which moniker i like best for the non-existent group of student fans at mc) were ever going to come out, tonight would be the night

unfortunately for me, tonight is "take care of the kids" night for me...we'll be in attendance for the first half of the women's game before my fatherly duties kick in and i have to feed, bath and bed the rugrats :)

despite what i THINK will happen, i still WANT the monarchs to win

GO MONARCHS!!!!

leroy

Quote from: narch on February 01, 2006, 12:38:55 PM
"Transfer students must complete a minimum of 31 hours at Greensboro College to graduate from Greensboro College."

doesn't seem likely that he has just one class or an internship or student teaching, since he'll need 31 sh to graduate from gc...tough to do in one semester, probably impossible

Wow, that's pretty wierd then.  Maybe he worked it all out so that it works out for him....or maybe he transfers back after this semester and graduates from Eckerd?  Either way, he's a pretty decent scorer.

PrideFan1986

Ok guys, to end the stuff on Berg here is the way it goes. It is the fact of the matter that elected to finish out his carrer at GC (this was his chioce). Second of all he is a great student and will graduate  from here. There is nothing that GC did not do by the books. We follow all of the guidelines that are set and there is no reason to question that.

On a earlier post about Breg shouldnt be considered for a All-Conference team in my opinion is wrong. Berg has played in all of the Prides Conference game (thanks for saying that Narch).

But in the end all was done leagal and what he wanted to do was finish his carrer here and that is what he is going to do.

narch

Quote from: leroy on February 01, 2006, 12:58:31 PM....or maybe he transfers back after this semester and graduates from Eckerd?

if this happens, it certainly would support captj's "winning at all cost" point

Quote from: leroy on January 31, 2006, 04:01:23 PMNow, some D3 conferences have rules where you cannot transfer mid-semester from one school to another within that conference.  Not sure if the USA South has that rule.

i meant to address this earlier...the usasac does require a student transferring directly from one member school to another to sit for one year

Quote from: GCGullett on February 01, 2006, 01:13:57 PMWe follow all of the guidelines that are set and there is no reason to question that.

i have my doubts about the big 7'0" wake forest transfer...i've heard he was on a pretty substantial academic scholarship which was based on his high school grades, even though he had completed 2+ years at wfu with solid, but not spectacular grades which WOULDN'T qualify him for the transfer scholarship at gc...it's all water under the bridge because he's no longer at gc and when he was, he wasn't that good :)

PrideFan1986

Narch

You are  fishing up the wrong tree there. That 7"0' graduated with honors hand a 4.0 gpa. He seemed to iomprove while even though he battled injury. You shouldnt talk bout things that you dont know the full story.

cnu85

Gullett - I've re-read some (not all) of the posts concerning Berg. I think you might be getting a little defensive. I don't think anyone was questioning the legality as much as they were wondering "why" would a student do that? Then that prompted other posts and someone asked what the rules were concerning transfers in the conference. I was reading the posts from a standpoint of trying to understand "why". I could really care less about if it was "leagal".

Back to the "why" - Because you point out that he will graduate from GC, seems to imply that he has more than 31 hours left before he graduates. I was assuming just the opposite. I assumed he had all the credits to graduate from E and still had a semester of eligiblility left and for whatever personal reasons he chose to attend GC to finish out his playing career or possible finish one or 2 classes to transfer back to E.

I'm still making assumptions that his reasons were personal and possibly non-basketball related. Why else would someone transfer onto a sub .500 D3 team?

It's just interesting stuff to ponder.

Anyway, I saw him play. He was the only one in that game that impressed me. Nice shot, a little weak on defense. But overall a solid player. You've seen him in more than 1 game and can better tell than me. I can only comment on the one game.

captj

Any more predictions on the games this evening?  Gullett?

cnu85

Monarch96

MC over GC in a close game
CNU over SU in a blowout
AC over FC in a blowout

It's time for the Monarchs to win a couple, CNU appears to be too good for SU, and wow AC is for real.

narch

Quote from: GCGullett on February 01, 2006, 01:23:48 PM
Narch

You are  fishing up the wrong tree there. That 7"0' graduated with honors hand a 4.0 gpa. He seemed to iomprove while even though he battled injury. You shouldnt talk bout things that you dont know the full story.

i know what i know, but the details aren't for this board...he may have graduated from gc with a 4.0, but that wasn't his gpa at wfu...and he wasn't that good and he had the most lethal (and cheap) elbows in the conference...art hatch dominated him, despite giving up about 60 lbs and a couple of inches

narch

monarchs 29, gc 28 at the half

narch

somebody tell the pride announcer that it's mcevoy (mac-eh-voy), not mcvoy...sounds like i'm missing a tight game - monarchs up 53-49