MBB: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Oxy'03SalemPavers, March 10, 2005, 12:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D O.C.

Gray Fox

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 22, 2019, 01:18:58 AM
Quote from: Gray Fox on January 21, 2019, 04:31:01 PM
Oxy helped Pomona move from 19 to 16 on the D3 poll.
Oxy still has one point, meaning one voter named them as 25th.

I'd argue Oxy had nothing to do with this. It was more about the teams around Pomona and what they did (or didn't) do last week. There was a lot of movement in the poll on a lot of interesting results. If anything, the Oxy struggles right now aren't helping Pomona because I think voters are starting to think Oxy was more fluff than substance.
Thanks,
I was just trying to add a little levity to the board. ;)
Fierce When Roused

OxyBob

Quote from: stag44 on January 21, 2019, 10:25:14 PM
Quote from: OxyBob on January 21, 2019, 02:09:41 PM
Game of the Week! Claremont (13-4, 7-1) @ Pomona (16-1, 8-0)
Pomona beat Claremont 73-65 in their first matchup on December 6.

For the Stags - it's been all about the defense. This year's team reminds me of the old-school Scali teams that are physical and defensive minded.

You can always tell when Claremont is playing its game. It's a thing of beauty. Opponents can't get the ball into the block, they can't get an open shot from the wing or the short corners, they can't drive the baseline, and they can't get to the elbows. They end up passing the ball around the perimeter and finally fling something at the basket.

OxyBob

stag44

Quote from: OxyBob on January 23, 2019, 08:47:52 PM

For the Stags - it's been all about the defense. This year's team reminds me of the old-school Scali teams that are physical and defensive minded.

You can always tell when Claremont is playing its game. It's a thing of beauty. Opponents can't get the ball into the block, they can't get an open shot from the wing or the short corners, they can't drive the baseline, and they can't get to the elbows. They end up passing the ball around the perimeter and finally fling something at the basket.

OxyBob

Pomona played it's game tonight winning going away. It was tight at 16-14 Pomona early, but Pomona went on a quick 12-2 run that stretched the lead to 12 and they maintained that through the first half, going into the break up 14, 41-27. The Stags didnt go quietly though, and after an and 1 they had cut the lead down to 4. From there Pomona made some plays from an unexpected source James Kelbert and got some breathing room. After that Pomona was up double digits for most of the game.

The Stags weren't able to hit anything, shooting 33% from the field and 26% from 3. Credit the Pomona defense for forcing the stags into some tougher shots. The stags were also impatient, took some bad shots and played a little antsy when they started getting down.

Pomona is really tough this year - they have alot of weapons and I think could make some noise this year if they end up getting the SCIAC bid. I do think they will have to win the tournament though, and you never know what could happen during that weekend in Feb, you just need a team to get hot and that could change it all.

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: stag44 on January 23, 2019, 11:55:44 PM

OxyBob

Pomona played it's game tonight winning going away. It was tight at 16-14 Pomona early, but Pomona went on a quick 12-2 run that stretched the lead to 12 and they maintained that through the first half, going into the break up 14, 41-27. The Stags didnt go quietly though, and after an and 1 they had cut the lead down to 4. From there Pomona made some plays from an unexpected source James Kelbert and got some breathing room. After that Pomona was up double digits for most of the game.

The Stags weren't able to hit anything, shooting 33% from the field and 26% from 3. Credit the Pomona defense for forcing the stags into some tougher shots. The stags were also impatient, took some bad shots and played a little antsy when they started getting down.

Pomona is really tough this year - they have alot of weapons and I think could make some noise this year if they end up getting the SCIAC bid. I do think they will have to win the tournament though, and you never know what could happen during that weekend in Feb, you just need a team to get hot and that could change it all.

I really wish one of the CMS-PP games had been on a Saturday this year. Incredible rivalry game between the cream of the SCIAC crop this season, but too tough to get out that far east during the week (and of course, I'll be in Claremont this weekend for the PP baseball alumni game, but oh well).

Appreciate your writeup. I assumed Pomona coasted in the second half based on the simple box score, but didn't realize it was down to a four point game at one point. Great job beating a very good team, especially when Rosenbaum had one of his worst nights of the year (statistically at least).

Do you really think Pomona will need to win the tournament to get a bid? With only one loss overall, and a win over Whitman, I think they're set up well. They have 7 conference games left, and they won't have to play CMS again. Of course, they still have Redlands and Oxy on the road. But even if they drop those they realistically could enter the tournament at around 22-3. There weren't very many four loss teams left at home last year (from what I can tell), but then again I have very little perspective on how the SCIAC is viewed nationally in hoops. Have we had 2 bids since Oxy and Pomona my freshman year (2008)?

Edit: Looks like Chapman got in in 2010 as a 2-loss team and 2011 as a 3-loss team despite losing in the conference tournament both years.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Teddy_Ballgame on January 24, 2019, 04:31:03 PM
Do you really think Pomona will need to win the tournament to get a bid? With only one loss overall, and a win over Whitman, I think they're set up well. They have 7 conference games left, and they won't have to play CMS again. Of course, they still have Redlands and Oxy on the road. But even if they drop those they realistically could enter the tournament at around 22-3. There weren't very many four loss teams left at home last year (from what I can tell), but then again I have very little perspective on how the SCIAC is viewed nationally in hoops. Have we had 2 bids since Oxy and Pomona my freshman year (2008)?

Edit: Looks like Chapman got in in 2010 as a 2-loss team and 2011 as a 3-loss team despite losing in the conference tournament both years.

The best place to track the potential for Pomona-Pitzer (or anybody else) to get into the tourney without winning the league's automatic bid is the Pool C board under the Multi-Regional Topics header. The resident numbers-crunchers on this site do a good job of tracking the possibilities. One of them is a math prof at the College of Wooster. He published a hypothetical ranking for each region nine days ago, and he had Pomona-Pitzer eighth in the West Region, largely because the Sagehens had a poor strength of schedule. Since P-P's SOS has improved since then with the wins over Oxy and CMS, the Sagehens might move up in his next hypothetical ranking.

Anyway, if you're really interested in seeing how P-P measures up to everybody else in terms of the selection criteria, that's the board to read.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WoostAr

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 24, 2019, 07:32:07 PM
Quote from: Teddy_Ballgame on January 24, 2019, 04:31:03 PM

The best place to track the potential for Pomona-Pitzer (or anybody else) to get into the tourney without winning the league's automatic bid is the Pool C board under the Multi-Regional Topics header. The resident numbers-crunchers on this site do a good job of tracking the possibilities. One of them is a math prof at the College of Wooster. He published a hypothetical ranking for each region nine days ago, and he had Pomona-Pitzer eighth in the West Region, largely because the Sagehens had a poor strength of schedule. Since P-P's SOS has improved since then with the wins over Oxy and CMS, the Sagehens might move up in his next hypothetical ranking.

Anyway, if you're really interested in seeing how P-P measures up to everybody else in terms of the selection criteria, that's the board to read.

Probably not — oxy has a notoriously terrible sos because they play non counters in non-conference.

For the record, I am not the Wooster math major.

D O.C.

Gregory Sager

Over on the Pool C board, fantastic50 has posted his current analysis of Pool C prospects, based upon an analysis of the primary criteria (D3 winning percentage, D3 strength of schedule, head-to-head results, results against regionally-ranked opponents -- I'm guessing that he's formulated likely rankings for each of the eight regions in order to be able to compile these -- and results versus common D3 opponents).

He's grouped them into Already in, barring a monumental collapse (five teams), In solid position (13 teams), Bubble-in (14 teams), Bubble out (16 teams), and Lots of work to do (16 teams). He has Pomona-Pitzer in next-to-last place in the Bubble-in category.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

OxyBob

Quote from: stag44 on January 23, 2019, 11:55:44 PM

Pomona played it's game tonight winning going away.

Claremont is No. 1 in scoring defense in D-III (60.5 ppg), but they didn't get it done against Pomona, which has beaten the Stags twice. But there's always a good chance Claremont will get a third shot at the Sagehens in the conference tournament.

Quote from: WoostAr on January 25, 2019, 12:18:02 AM
Probably not — oxy has a notoriously terrible sos because they play non counters in non-conference.

Can't argue with that.

Massey Ratings, Strength of Schedule (428 teams ranked):

Cal Lutheran 40
Pomona 66
Redlands 76
La Verne 93
Claremont 105
Whittier 126
Caltech 144
Chapman 182
Oxy 288

Saturday's schedule:

UC Santa Cruz (11-10) @ Cal Lutheran (5-12, 3-6 SCIAC) 2:00 p.m.
Caltech (8-9, 2-6) @ Oxy (15-3, 6-3) 4:00 p.m.
La Verne (1-16, 0-9) @ Pomona (17-1, 9-0) 7:00 p.m.
Redlands (11-7, 6-3) @ Claremont (13-5, 7-2) 7:00 p.m.
Chapman (8-10, 4-5) @ Whittier (6-12, 3-6) 7:00 p.m.

OxyBob

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI - Massey doesn't keep track of teams and games that "don't count." So, yes, their numbers also have Oxy with a bad strength of schedule, but the NCAA one will suffer differently because there are several games that won't count at all for the official SOS number.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

OxyBob

Quote from: OxyBob on January 26, 2019, 12:07:32 PM
Saturday's schedule:

UC Santa Cruz (11-10) @ Cal Lutheran (5-12, 3-6 SCIAC) 2:00 p.m.
Caltech (8-9, 2-6) @ Oxy (15-3, 6-3) 4:00 p.m.
La Verne (1-16, 0-9) @ Pomona (17-1, 9-0) 7:00 p.m.
Redlands (11-7, 6-3) @ Claremont (13-5, 7-2) 7:00 p.m.
Chapman (8-10, 4-5) @ Whittier (6-12, 3-6) 7:00 p.m.

Scores:

UC Santa Cruz 81 Cal Lutheran 67
Oxy 72 Caltech 62
Pomona 100 La Verne 61
Claremont 81 Redlands 70
Whittier 78 Chapman 69

Wednesday's schedule, all games 7:00 p.m.:

Whittier (7-12, 4-6 SCIAC) @ La Verne (1-17, 0-10)
No. 16 No. 15 Pomona (18-1, 10-0) @ Redlands (11-8, 6-4)
Cal Lutheran (5-13, 3-6) @ Caltech (8-10, 2-7)
Oxy (16-3, 7-3) @ Chapman (8-11, 4-6)

Claremont (14-5, 8-2) is idle.

OxyBob

CMSfan

Pomona looks formidable this year. I'd love CMS to find a way to win the SCIAC tournament, but assuming Pomona makes the tournament they could make some noise. I'd take them over Whitworth for sure. Whitworth's top few guys are more talented, but Pomona is more disciplined, deeper, and not as prone to lapses.

Gosox

Pomonma has length...and lots of it...Will be interesting 2/16, after a close 5 point loss when they first met...I like Oxy's ability to work the ball in the paint...but would like to see the adjustments they will have to make to counter the length of the Sagehens...and after seeing them already once...should be a fun game...CMS didn't seem to make the right adjustments as they took a little bit larger point loss...so I am curious to see if PP continues there dominance...which do not see why not, but, Oxy has the ability to bother you , so will be interesting to watch...bottom line..all 3 solid teams...

greg21grimm

I'd be interested to see how the CLU and CalTech game develops. I think the Beavers are way past the days of having media show up on the possibility of them getting a win against a SCIAC opponent, like they did my Senior year. Obviously the coach has done an outstanding job of changing the culture there and making them very competitive in the SCIAC, but this will be a crucial game for both CLU and CalTech. This game could make them a middle third vs a bottom third team in league. May not sound like much now, but at the end of the season, as a player, the confidence level is much different when preparing for the next season.