FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Tradition

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 15, 2018, 03:03:28 PM
Don Beebe (proper spelling) isn't just any old guy with a whistle and a clipboard. He spent nine seasons in the NFL as a wide receiver for the Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, and Green Bay Packers, and played in six Super Bowls. He was one of the NFL's most respected players in the '90s because of his work ethic and his attitude, and this play from Super Bowl XXVII -- which occurred when the Bills were losing to the Cowboys, 52-17, with five minutes left in the game -- tells you everything that you need to know about Don Beebe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6gmDtVYdLA

He's spent his entire life, aside from his playing days, in the western suburbs. He's from Maple Park (he went to Kaneland HS) and lives in Aurora, where he was the head coach at Aurora Christian and won two 2A state championships (2011 and 2012) before he stepped down and gave the job to his younger brother David. His son Chad is a WR for the Minnesota Vikings. Beebe actually attended Aurora University for a year after leaving Western Illinois, before transferring to Chadron State, which is where he finished his college football career and earned his degree.

No offense to Rick Ponx, but if Aurora got Don Beebe to serve as the next head coach of the Spartans, it's pulled off a major coup.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/aurora-beacon-news/sports/ct-abn-spt-rick-armstrong-column-st-0926-story.html

Thanks for the correction, GS.  I didn't elaborate because I wasn't sure I needed to--I'm very familiar with him and remember that play, as I'm sure many do.  Quite a few athletes I know attended his "House of Speed."  I'm also familiar with his success at Aurora Christian.  My confusion isn't about Beebe's accolades or whether or not he has the resume to be a D-III head coach, more about why Ponx was let go despite some pretty recent success.
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

Gregory Sager

According to the Trib article to which I linked, it appears that Beebe was looking at getting back into coaching, and that college coaching was something that appealed to him. With the youngest of his kids going off to school next year, he and his wife will be empty-nesters -- and he's still pretty young at 53. I wonder if this move by AU wasn't so much a statement of dissatisfaction with Rick Ponx as it was an attempt to get a high-profile head coach for a school that isn't exactly a household name, even in the western suburbs where it's located.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

robertgoulet

Not much drama in Naperville, as NCC is up 38-0 over Hanover at half.

Bethel is up 35-0 at half, so it's probably safe to say we are looking at a rematch of the 2013 ice bowl semifinal. Hoping for the same outcome for NCC.
You win! You always do!

thunderdog

Quote from: robertgoulet on November 17, 2018, 02:37:10 PM

Bethel is up 35-0 at half, so it's probably safe to say we are looking at a rematch of the 2013 ice bowl semifinal. Hoping for the same outcome for NCC.

I watched a good chunk of that 2013 game. How cold was it? From what I recall, it was somewhere in the vicinity of -10 to -20... does that sound right? I also remember thinking that BU really looked as if they had no interest in dealing with the elements whereas NCC looked unbothered by it... that sure is cold though

ncc_fan

The box score reported a temperature of -4 F and a 10 mph wind.  That yields a -21 F wind chill.  But it was much warmer at the NCC watch party at Bar Louie in Naperville.

iwu70

NCC having no trouble today.   It was 52-0 right?  Yes, looks like NCC - Bethel repeat.

at Bethel?

'70

CardinalAlum

Quote from: iwu70 on November 17, 2018, 07:18:11 PM
NCC having no trouble today.   It was 52-0 right?  Yes, looks like NCC - Bethel repeat.

at Bethel?

'70

Correct.  52-0.  NCAA will determine home game and advise tomorrow.   ::).  Hanover was overmatched. 
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

robertgoulet

Quote from: iwu70 on November 17, 2018, 07:18:11 PM

at Bethel?

'70

Based on the layout of the bracket I'd assumed NCC would host. We shall see!
You win! You always do!

bleedpurple

Quote from: robertgoulet on November 17, 2018, 02:37:10 PM

I'm guessing it wasn't a semi-final given the team who showed up to get bludgeoned by UW-W in the Stagg Bowl that year was Mount Union.

kiko

Early afternoon: Paced by a 1-2 finish from a pair of seniors, the men's cross country team wins its 19th national championship, and third in a row, by outpacing runner-up Wash U 43-110.

Mid-afternoon: Football team tops Hanover 52-0 to move into the second round.

Early evening: Men's basketball team opens its campaign with a 68-57 victory over the Student Princes of Heidelberg.

Pretty good day for North Central on the athletic front.

nccfac

Quote from: robertgoulet on November 17, 2018, 07:50:57 PM

at Bethel?

'70

Based on the layout of the bracket I'd assumed NCC would host. We shall see!
[/quote]

Updated bracket shows it in Naperville. And the 2013 game with Bethel was  a quarter final, NCC lost the semifinal game to Mount Union 41 - 40.

Pat Coleman

Our bracket has the home sites on it. The NCAA won't do that to theirs until tomorrow.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

CardinalAlum

NCC will officially host Bethel at Noon on Saturday. 
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

kiko

Quote from: CardinalAlum on November 18, 2018, 01:40:38 PM
NCC will officially host Bethel at Noon on Saturday.

From my POV, this will be the most important game the Cardinals play all season, irrespective of how far they do/don't advance in the playoffs.  (No disrespect intended to the folks in Wheaton or Bloomington.)

North Central is 10-1 in opening round games in the Thorne era, but only 2-7 in the second round:

2006, Away - Capital 41, North Central 13
2007, Away - Whitewater 59, North Central 28
2008, Home - Franklin 38, North Central 28
2010, Home - North Central 28, Ohio Northern 9
2011, Away - Wabash 29, North Central 28
2012, Away - Linfield 30, North Central 14
2013, Home - North Central 52, Platteville 24
2016, Home - Wheaton 31, North Central 14
2017, Away - Oshkosh 42, North Central 21

The Cardinals have proven they can consistently win in the opening round... the competition clearly gets better in a hurry in round two in this part of the country, but it's not always purple in quality.  The program has come so far in this era from what it once was, and there is more talent up and down the roster than even 5-6 years ago.  Bethel will be a handful, but this is a great opportunity for the program to start taking that next step up the ladder on a consistent basis.

iwu70

Good luck to NCC vs. Bethel on Saturday.

I was actually hoping the game was at Bethel as I'm in MSP then for Thanksgiving with family and could have attended.  Too bad.

Make some noise for the CCIW.  Very deserving of another home game. 

IWU'70