FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks88

Quote from: Bombers798891 on August 23, 2016, 09:34:07 AM
Quote from: jknezek on August 23, 2016, 08:44:26 AM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on August 22, 2016, 10:05:15 PM
Quote from: jknezek on August 22, 2016, 08:41:54 PM
Football just isn't a game that needs to be played on natural grass. I like football on grass as much as anyone, but the game doesn't change on turf. Not like soccer, which needs grass, or field hockey which needs turf. Football is kind of indifferent as to the surface in my mind.

I mean, need is a strong word.

But I don't believe that the game doesn't change on turf, at least a bit. I've seen some really good triple option teams eaten alive by Butterfield stadium grass.

Yeah that's true. W&L's first playoff team ended up facing Wilkes in what could charitably be called a swamp instead of a field. It did not go well. But that was special circumstances caused by a flood. In a well-maintained field, W&L hasn't suffered too much by playing on natural grass. Of course it doesn't happen often anymore. What are they doing at Butterfield before the option teams come in? "Forget" to cut it, or leaving the sprinklers on overnight?

I honestly have no idea. But we're also Upstate NY, right off of a lake, and these games are usually in october. Games are going to get played in lousy weather and, on a grass field, with less than ideal field conditions. Ithaca played Salisbury at home twice, once in lousy weather and once on a perfect day, and Salisbury's running game did squat both times
It's been 10 years since Huntingdon played at Ithaca in 2006. I do remember the grass being tall but the game was also played in the remnants of a hurricane but neither of those things were really our biggest issue that day. Seems like we couldn't get out of our own way with drive killing penalties all day and never could get anything going. Still wish we could have given them a better game.

Bombers798891

Quote from: Hawks88 on August 23, 2016, 11:17:55 AM

It's been 10 years since Huntingdon played at Ithaca in 2006. I do remember the grass being tall but the game was also played in the remnants of a hurricane but neither of those things were really our biggest issue that day. Seems like we couldn't get out of our own way with drive killing penalties all day and never could get anything going. Still wish we could have given them a better game.

I was at that game. Totally lousy weather, if I recall.

Huntingdon was good, and that game was closer than the score indicated. It was 24-12 Ithaca midway through the 4th when the Bombers converted a 3rd and 20 while backed up in their own end. The Huntingdon offense moved the ball well, and the defense had its moments, especially a great goal line stand in the first quarter. I remember the visiting crowd being fired up after that.

jknezek

Quote from: Hawks88 on August 23, 2016, 11:17:55 AM

That must have been one heck of a road trip.

jknezek

The folks at W&L must be getting excited. JHU game notes are up:

http://generalssports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/Hopkins_Notes

I really despise this line. Every other year it grates on my nerves as it gets a little longer in the tooth:

"The Generals have not fared well when opening the season on the road, dropping each of their last 22 road games to open the season.  W&L's last win when opening the season on the road was a 14-13 win at Towson State on Sept. 20, 1969."

It will be fascinating to see how W&L's experienced secondary holds up this year. Traditionally we haven't been particularly strong against the pass, preferring to bend until the red zone and then stiffen. I don't know how much of that is a function of practice and how much is a function of talent. But I can't remember a secondary with this much experience and talent, so I'm wondering if the Generals will be stiffer against the air raid. Hopkins, with their stud receiver, will be an interesting test.

jknezek

W&L tabbed to finish first in the following preseason ODAC Coaches' polls:

Football
Men's Soccer
Men's Cross Country
Field Hockey
Women's Cross Country
Volleyball

Sadly they were tabbed to finish second in Women's Soccer... Man I'm hoping this fall goes as well as last fall for all the Generals!

jknezek

Anyone interested in the pick 'em should post in the thread or msg HSCTigerfan74. Doesn't seem like we are getting a lot of love as this board has continued to shrink.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: jknezek on August 28, 2016, 10:51:01 PM
Anyone interested in the pick 'em should post in the thread or msg HSCTigerfan74. Doesn't seem like we are getting a lot of love as this board has continued to shrink.

Thanks for having my back jk; I literally just logged on to post the Week 1 games but thought I'd check in here first. I may pm some of the long-timers to give them a heads-up as well.
TANSTAAFL

jknezek

Geez I'm glad someone else posted. I was beginning to think I was all that was left in here lately! Thankfully the season is getting close, maybe traffic will pick up. I feel like we've lost all the fans from Bridgewater, E&H, and most of the RMC people these days. It's getting mighty thin.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: jknezek on August 29, 2016, 09:45:17 AM
Geez I'm glad someone else posted. I was beginning to think I was all that was left in here lately! Thankfully the season is getting close, maybe traffic will pick up. I feel like we've lost all the fans from Bridgewater, E&H, and most of the RMC people these days. It's getting mighty thin.
I think the Bridgewater folks have given up and moved on, and the RMC fans have switched their focus to the basketball board (although they will show up briefly after HSC does its yearly faceplant in The Game). Can't explain the E&H people though; they've had some decent teams the last few years.
TANSTAAFL

jknezek

Yeah. As near as I can tell the board goes like this:
W&L - 1, me
RMC - more or less 1, CMR
Bridgewater - 0 regularly
Guilford - 1-2, Hasa mostly
Shenandoah - 1 occasionally
Catholic - 0 unless you count Pat
E&H - 0 since WasperDad? I think left
H-SC- 4 or 5 regularly

That's pretty sad. Before this board started there was pretty much nowhere to talk about DIII. I'm guessing most of it has moved on to tribal areas of social media instead of mingled conference/division talk. I think that's a shame.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on August 29, 2016, 12:18:25 PM
Yeah. As near as I can tell the board goes like this:
W&L - 1, me
RMC - more or less 1, CMR
Bridgewater - 0 regularly
Guilford - 1-2, Hasa mostly
Shenandoah - 1 occasionally
Catholic - 0 unless you count Pat
E&H - 0 since WasperDad? I think left
H-SC- 4 or 5 regularly

That's pretty sad. Before this board started there was pretty much nowhere to talk about DIII. I'm guessing most of it has moved on to tribal areas of social media instead of mingled conference/division talk. I think that's a shame.
I will try to get some more interest stirred up when we host the Quaker Club tent at the Soup Bowl on Saturday night.  BTW, 7 pm start at Guilford for the 21st annual event.  Bring some nonperishable food items that benefit the citizens of the 18-county area around Guilford.  Designate which school you want to get credit for your donation ... there is a trophy for the philanthropy as well as the game!  So far, I've been to all of them!

y_jack_lok

I read the board fairly regularly and really appreciate what everyone has to say. I'm sure others who don't post often (or at all) do the same. Sadly, since I live in the Midwest I can only follow games online whenever possible. Plus, my primary interest is in R-MC basketball. But please don't give up posting. You regulars are doing a great job and it's fun to read your posts. Thanks.

CMR

Quote from: y_jack_lok on August 29, 2016, 03:47:00 PM
I read the board fairly regularly and really appreciate what everyone has to say. I'm sure others who don't post often (or at all) do the same. Sadly, since I live in the Midwest I can only follow games online whenever possible. Plus, my primary interest is in R-MC basketball. But please don't give up posting. You regulars are doing a great job and it's fun to read your posts. Thanks.
Head over to the RMC football twitter account and check out the video clip on practice sessions this August!

https://twitter.com/RMCfootball

y_jack_lok

Quote from: CMR on August 29, 2016, 03:55:17 PM
Head over to the RMC football twitter account and check out the video clip on practice sessions this August!

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a Twitter account and don't want one. I'll stick to reading this board and whatever R-MC posts on its website. That should satisfy my need for information.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: y_jack_lok on August 29, 2016, 04:47:50 PM
Quote from: CMR on August 29, 2016, 03:55:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a Twitter account and don't want one. I'll stick to reading this board and whatever R-MC posts on its website. That should satisfy my need for information.

Just to throw this out there, we don't do Twitter at our house either, but my wife discovered that you can usually read the posts as long as it's not a private account; you just can't respond. Also, and this might just be me, I find that it reads more easily on the desktop than my tablet.
TANSTAAFL