FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BashDad

Yeah, this is painful and sad. I don't have anything else clever to say.

Someone help, please. The thing we made is breaking.

DPU3619

I don't think there's any shame in giving the Pups 21 yesterday. That's a pretty good offense.

Wabash's offense certainly isn't a world-beater. Truthfully, it isn't designed to be. They grind people out with ball control and whichever ridiculously talented RB stands back there and win with defense. Y'all probably don't want to hear this, but that's what happened yesterday.

Couple of turnovers got Wabash behind schedule on the scoreboard. Defense played poorly for a quarter. Gave up 7 in the last 3 quarters. It happens. The other team is allowed to make plays, too. Make some adjustments and play ball. I give a ton of credit to the Wabash D staff for making great adjustments.

Scouting report has been out on the LG's for a long, long time. Anything more than 3-4 empty possessions really increases your chances of beating them. If you turn them over (2 yesterday) or force punts (3 yesterday) you've got a chance to squeeze out enough O to sneak out with a win.

BashDad

I'm not talking about a single game and no-one else is either.

DPU3619

You may not be but they quite literally were.

BashDad

Old Gold Tiger

Forgive me for changing the subject from the crisis of confidence in C-ville, but we've got a big league matchup in Denison vs. Witt this week. Some would say it's the conference championship this year. Will Denison make it two in a row over Witt?

BashBacker#16

Quote from: smedindy on September 23, 2017, 11:07:02 PM
It wasn't that long ago Wabash lost to Allegheny and Oberlin at home, and they did alright after that. I don't think anyone called for ER's head then.

It's definitely a lack of confidence in any QBs, which I think speaks to recruiting more than anything.

But it is frustrating, I understand.

Please stop the ER comparisons.  Was he ever 56-61? 

BashDad

BashBacker#16

I don't know where to start.  I can't believe what's going on in C-ville. 

- why is the best player on the Wabash roster, Ike James, rotating with 4 other dudes?  Has he not earned the start?  It took 3 1/2 quarters to realize this?
- did anyone see Penola run after the catch yesterday?  Let's play him at H and give him 2 touches every 3 games.  Somehow, he needs to be a major part of this offense.
- is there any plan on offense?  It's like we draw plays out of a hat and run whatever.
- we have 2 - 6'4" WR's, can we not figure out how to expose those match-ups?
- Special teams are shaky as hell.  Should we field the punt and fumble or let it roll forever.

"We have a LOT of good football players!"
"Wabash Always Fight?"
Season goal?  "Beat Depauw"
"At this level, D3"
Where is Vance?  Wasn't he gonna be one of our immediate impact guys?
"We don't have girls"

I don't get it.

Hiram.  Remember when we used to throw up 80 points and had to try not to score 100?

Successful Homecoming win pulling a victory out of our a$$?

On the bright side, we had cool tailgating tents and super cool pre-game maps and parking instructions.  Where is the ticket booth though?

wally_wabash

Quote from: Old Gold Tiger on September 24, 2017, 10:59:39 AM
Forgive me for changing the subject from the crisis of confidence in C-ville, but we've got a big league matchup in Denison vs. Witt this week. Some would say it's the conference championship this year. Will Denison make it two in a row over Witt?

Kickoff did say that exactly.
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Caveman # 95

I said last year that I would drop it....but I can't....

The WabCol powers that be knew EXACTLY what they were getting when they made their hire. They had the opportunity to choose another dynamic up and coming Raeburn/Creighton type...and didn't.  It makes no sense.

I want to rip my hair out reading the current commentary on this page. It was oblivious LAST YEAR....BEFORE WABASH HAD PLAYED IT'S FIRST GAME what was going to happen. 

Here we are.

Wabash looked like a High School team yesterday (special teams and running game not included).

It will take years to rebuild what we had going....even if changes were made right now.

To all the Mr.PC/Look-At-The-Bright-Side types on this board...hate to say I told you so...but I told you so. Are you all still OK with what's going on? Are y'all going to petition admin to change the our color from Scarlet to Heliotrope?

Gross. Gag. Barf.

"Wabash Always Endeavors Vigorously To Win" - wally_wabash

DPU3619

wally_wabash

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on September 24, 2017, 09:42:20 AM
I don't think there's any shame in giving the Pups 21 yesterday. That's a pretty good offense.

Wabash and Hiram played 8 times between 2001 and 2015 (this time period is not randomly chosen).  Hiram scored 24 points total in those 8 games.  Some of those teams were extraordinarily bad, some were decent.  Hiram's best single game point total against Wabash in recorded human history has been 21 points: achieved on 10/1/2016 and 9/23/2017.  What's different?  That can be rhetorical. 

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on September 24, 2017, 09:42:20 AM
Wabash's offense certainly isn't a world-beater. Truthfully, it isn't designed to be. They grind people out with ball control and whichever ridiculously talented RB stands back there and win with defense. Y'all probably don't want to hear this, but that's what happened yesterday.

This is true, but if Wabash is going to play a brand of defense that gives up 20+ points routinely against decent offenses (of which there are many in the league this year), then safe and sound ball control offense won't cut it.  Because when the offense gets solved, giving up 21 or 24 or 35 won't work.  Wabash defenses pre-2016 afforded Wabash the luxury of low-risk offense (offense that, IYAM, prevented Wabash from getting beyond the 2nd/3rd rounds of the tournament- but was plenty good enough to win NCAC titles and 1-2 tournament games in a lot of years).  Earlham hung a forty burger on Hiram two weeks ago.  Scratching out 25 wasn't just a matter of playing it safe...through three games, the HC/OC haven't figured out any kind of reliable offense outside of handing off to #1.  That's good enough to beat Albion and Hiram...it's not going to be good enough starting this Saturday. 

There's a lot of frustration here because 13 games ago Wabash was in the final 8 and it wasn't an accident.  Playoff teams don't faff around with Hiram.  That's the standard that's been set...not by one or two good years.  That's 15 years of excellence that has set that standard.  It is achievable and that's what Wabash fans want to see.  They don't want to retreat to the days where 6-4 and a Bell win is a successful season.  That's not good enough anymore.  Wabash wins conference championships.  Wabash wins playoff games.  That's the standard.  And I"m not sure I've seen Wabash play a playoff-caliber game since December 2015.  The pieces are there to meet the standard that was set between 2001-2015.  These guys are way too good to be a 50-100 level team in the Division. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Li'l Giant

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on September 24, 2017, 10:28:44 AM
You may not be but they quite literally were.

I can't speak for anyone else but my comments were about more than just yesterday's game. The Hiram game is a symptom. I was talking about the illness.

Quote from: Caveman # 95 on September 24, 2017, 01:34:21 PMIt was obvious LAST YEAR...

Yes. Some of us knew this last year and when we said it we were told we were overreacting and we needed to calm down.

Well, if there was any doubt, the truck is heading toward the ditch. Are we going to let it crash or not?
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

HCAlum86

I'm pretty bummed. Lack of discipline lost that one for us. It is what it is... don't panic, Wabash.. the talent is certainly still there, though I don't think I agree with many of the personnel decisions being made. Especially re: the Ike James point made above. He was the best player on the field.
July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.