New England Collegiate Conference (NECC)

Started by d3bballinboston, May 31, 2007, 06:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ac08

Elms is more than dangerous they are very good.

SVC is 1-4, yes, but:

2 of those losses were by single digits and one of their best shooters was uncharacteristically off. Those games could have been different with just a couple more baskets. I think it's also worth mentioning that they lost by 5 to Skidmore just after Skidmore only loss to Amherst (ranked #10) by 3. Maybe the transitive property can't be used quantitatively here, but I think it suggests they may be closer than their record indicates

The other 2 losses came at the hands of St. Lawrence and Williams. St. Lawrence is just good. They came within a hair of beating  #21 Ursinus. And beat Plattsburgh St (last year's NE sectional host for the Elite 8) and Middlebury (who some think is favored to win the NESCAC).

Even though the score ballooned at the end, the Williams game was a 3 point game with under 10 to go in the second half.

Is dangerous really that much of an exaggeration, or are you just trying to garner just dues for Elms?

jamiejohn

I am just saying Elms is by far the best team in the league. Then you have becker and  maybe SVC(which i havent seen play).

ac08

Oh, no disagreement at all from me. I just thought their record might not be a great indication of their capabilities.

Elms has been good for the past few years, but last year's game against Amherst showed me that they are hitting another plateau.

leelowlang

Elms can beat anyone in the northeast...period.  Would they win a seven game series against an Amherst or WPI?  Maybe not but Coach Silva and co are very much for real as a perennial powerhouse.

Becker & then I'd say either Wheelock or Daniel Webster with Lesley & SVC...that group of five will be interesting so see how they sort themselves out.

ac08

KSCfan

Hello to my NECC fans out there, espically the Elms college ones.  I have a quick question that i was hoping you might be able to answer for me.  According to Keene.edu/athletics Keene State now has a guard that played for Elms college last year, a Nate Disessa.  I dont know anything about him really and i was hoping for some impressions of him.  Keene has three young guards and i was hoping that he might bring some older leadership to the position that will help the owls. Any thoughts, impressions, and or opinions would be greatly helpful thanks

ephoops

To anyone who attended the Elms / Regis game...  What happened?  Surprising loss...

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: ephoops on January 06, 2009, 11:23:05 AM
To anyone who attended the Elms / Regis game...  What happened?  Surprising loss...

I wasn't there, but Regis is only a second year program, lots of young guys.  It's obviously surprising, but no one really knows what to expect from Regis when they have a really good night.  Now, perhaps we do.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

BornBalla

I'll guess what happened to Elms. Regis started game 9-0 and believed they could play with them. Also, by looking at box score Elms shot 10-19 from ft line....not good at all. Plus they shot a low fg % even though they 20 oreb. While I have not seen Amherst box, I bet Wesleyan shot very well and Amherst struggled. I think New England is all over the place.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: BornBalla on January 07, 2009, 09:03:48 PM
I think New England is all over the place.

Yeah, the whole region is shaky enough that our final four entrant might not be a foregone conclusion this year.  That would be a fresh change.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

BornBalla

I had to be in the Springfield area for a family event and went over to Elms for their championship game vs Becker.Wow, the campus is very small. After the first 10 mins or so, the game was a blowout and Elms had a starter out due to injury I think(he was hobbling around with crutches). Becker seemed to have some talent. Guard Suber is super athletic and they had a forward type who was very active but they could not match the depth of Elms. You see the box scores and see that 11-13 players play close to double digit mins but to see the rotations live is impressive.

During the game I heard some people in stands talking about whether they wold get a home game. I heard one of them say they spoke to the coach and said that Elms "put in a bid to host and are hoping the NCAA gives them a shot to". From the looks of the gym it seems like they can seat maybe 500 or so. They had a track above gym where people were standing to watch game(mostly students).So I don't know if that can be added to seating capacity #.  Question: is there a scenario where the NCAA would let Elms host? If Amherst wins NESCAC, does Elms get #1 Rank in region?I gotta say an NCAA game in that gym would be an insane environment. It was wild yesterday. Any thoughts

Pat Coleman

If Elms gets a bye and hosts one game Saturday night, or if Elms plays on Thursday night and the winner plays at a bye team on Saturday.

Those are at least feasible. Not very likely, but feasible.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

larry_u

Better Dead then Red

winorgohome

I would have to say this years conference basketball the overall grade i would give at the most an C- I think there is a possibility that the Necc is by far the worst basketball conference in all of d3 definitely in the northeast area. You start at the bottom with lesley who was very bad this year to say the least. They had one player jesus trejo he is a pretty good big man but there story  stops there. Newbury who I thought should of had a better season looked as if they didnt like playin with each other or didnt want to play although i must admit i did like what i saw from kevin cleveland on that team he assumed the role of point forward for those guys. Southern vermont was not very competitive they also had a pretty good forward joe karnik who could really score and rebound. Then there is mitchell who is not a hard working team with little to no talent they had a high volume scorer but he took so many bad shots the ball gotta go in u shoot that much. Then my coach of the year would have to go to wheelock who won only 1 game last year put up 10 this year and 500 play in conference 7-7 and they gave elms all they could handle in the conference tournament which elms hosted. forward sherrard robbins is a double double machine who gets the job done without sayin a word. Daniel webster was a pretty good team that just didnt compete every night they have a core of good guards with Hansen Inge and Jackson which is the best starting backcourt in the conference just lacked the size and depth although they were 10-4 in conference play. Becker who is my pick for best team in the conference and ill tell u why first becker is the best coached team in the conference they have a continuity with the way they play there players look as if they all get along everyone knows there roll Suber is an ultra quick athlete Jacobs a very good bigman exum who was as solid at the point as u will get in the conference and the freshman favors who is very active there problem with elms is the fact that elms had a legit 9 players that could start maybe anywhere in the country so they would wear becker down. which leads me to my last team which is elms. Elms is my biggest dissappointment Ive seen elms play maybe a dozen of times this year and every time I went to see them I would always say this is a very very talented team but noone bought into the coach's system coach silva who is a very average coach at the most couldn't get those guys to believe in him out of the 13 guys going in and out of the game 11 was not happy and a dear friend of mine told me thats not a good sign for a team talking national championship me being an former player i couldn't imagine playing in that system. There talent was undeniable i would love to watch them practice there second 5 looks way better then there first 5 which i always wondered about 3 minutes into the game there bringing in big man Javon Mathis who is a double digit scorer they would bring in Ronald Thomas who was an electric scorer who would just come in get his work done and they would come with an ultra athletic forward Antwan Holder who could be a stud in this conference to go along with sharp shooting Danny Gonzalez who can score a point a min. to go along with Aswad Thomas Juan Galdon that 6 i just named is enough to win but they had utility players in starting roles which i think hurt them in the tournament to go along with some bad combinations on the court anybody who watched the conference close send me your comments

bball passion

To winorgohome. You must be retarded. You have no clue about basketball, and frankly are very dumb. What smart person makes comments like that. You are a horrible teammate and everyone knows who you are. But for the sake of this post I will indulge you and make you look foolish. You are not apart of Elms therefore you shouldn't feel disappointed about what Elms College does. You are right about about a couple things 1st Elms is very talented. Most of the guys bought into Coach Silva's system it was the idiots that didn't. They felt they were "superstars" or "NBA" type players. What idiots would think that lol.  I have seen Elms play and there were only 3 players that were always mad. They must have really thought they could play more minutes then they did. Now of course there were a couple games where these individuals played well. But they were NO "superstars".   You mentioned that you couldn't play in that system that they ran and I must say that is very bold of you to admit you cant play the game of basketball because the system that they ran is so easy. But I understand you are not a ball player.   

Coach Silva has been the best coach in D3 for the last 5 years. Not to mention Elms College gets better and better because they work hard and do the right thing. Elms are loaded with talent from the 1st guy to the 16th guy on the team.

You also mentioned that you would have loved to see there practices, the "second five" as you called it was better then the starting five. DUDE ARE YOU RETARDED...the other guys were good, and they were great teammates except for two dudes who thought they were and are going to the league. Lol the "LEAGUE" LOL wow now you know they really have some issues if they think that.

Javon Mathis he is a good basketball player but he knew his role that's what made him a good Elms player. Ronald Thomas was defiantly NOT an "electric scorer" and "gets what done"? The dude can't play defense. Not to mention is a terrible teammate. I saw a game where he got crossed up by an "average" player and his teammate took a charge and the dude didn't even help his teammate up. Lord knows what game you were watching. Talk about who is an electric scorer. Funny thing is I didn't see his name in the box score for the tournament. Maybe he froze up. Antoine Holder is your right an athletic basketball player; he just has no clue about the game and how to be a teammate. Danny Gonzalez is a pretty good shooter you are right about that. Aswad Thomas and Juan Galdon were both the best players on the team. HANDS DOWN.
It takes more then 6 players to win their num nut. What hurt them were the idiots who thought they were what they are not. I TOTALLY AGREE with you about bad combinations on the court the guys with the bad attitudes shouldn't have even had a Elms jersey in the first place never mind be on the court. Lol have you seen Elms play? Oh wait you said you have been to numerous Elms basketball games. Ok well if we looked at the statistics your "pick" of who you "chose" as best player's barley saw minutes. The only ones who view themselves, as "going to the league" players are the ones who cant even get burn at a D3 school. You are not a very smart person and I really hope you finish your education you have a lot of misspelled words.  Although this is a forum and you can speak your mind freely. I too share the right and am a strong supporter of Elms College loved watching them play. Ps now that the idiots are gone lets see the change. : ) you know who you are. "holla back" lol