MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel

Bummer!  Bears led 67-66 with 1:51 to play and could not finish losing to Swat 75-67. Game was back and forth for 39 minutes--good defense by both teams.  Bears poor free throw shooting cost them the game.

Hoopdog14

Havre ford did give the Mules a game. Unfortunately for Haverford their 3 shooting was Siberian Express cold.  Mules have gone into a zone full time to hide the lack of man on man skills. Fords had wide open 3s but could not connect going 5 of 21 - 9% in the second half. Mules continue to shuffle line ups as McClary is hoping one of the combination bails him out.

To date the most consistent Mule is Werheim who is active near the hoop and from mid-range.  He will need more help from an ever changing lineup of guys with lesser skills   LaRose scored a bunch tonight which may boost his confidence. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The season has started fast and for some teams they still haven't lost. Not unexpected for some, maybe completely unexpected for others.

And there is a big battle between #1 and #2 in Division III men's basketball on tap!

On Thursday's edition of Hoopsville, Dave is back in studio and talking to some of the teams who find themselves without a loss, but probably still with plenty of questions that remain unanswered. Many of the teams are nationally ranked, but one of the teams tonight finds itself undefeated and receiving narry a point in any of the Division III polls.

Also on Thursday's edition, Dave will talk LIVE with either #1 Amherst or #2 Babson. The two men's programs face off in a rare #1 v #2 regular season battle. We chat with the winning coach after the game.

You can watch Hoopsville below staring at 7:00 pm ET. We are also experimenting with simulcasting the show on Facebook Live! More info here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/dec8

Guests included (in order):
- Bob Amsberry, No. 8 Wartburg women's coach
- Amy Reed, Rochester Tech women's coach
- Landry Kosmalski, No. 22 Swarthmore men's coach
- Jon VanderWal, No. 3 Marietta men's coach
- Either Dave Hixon (No. 1 Amherst) or Stephen Brennan (No. 2 Banson) men's coach

This is most likley the last Thursday edition of Hoopsville before the holiday break (due to D3football.com coverage of Gagliardi Trophy and Stagg Bowl next week and proximity of Christmas the following week). The Thursday edition of the show will return January 5, 2017 - but stay tuned if we change our minds in two weeks.

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CCD3Basketball

We've hit a little bit of a quiet point in the season.....only one Centennial game this weekend, and that's Washington hosting Haverford on Saturday. Seems kind of odd, right? Next weekend until January I understand, but it just seems odd that there's only one CC game this weekend, and everyone else has non-conference games.
Broadcaster. Writer. Analyst. Fan. Voter. Centennial Conference focus, with an eye on D3 as a whole. D3 Basketball runs my life for over a quarter of the year and I have no problems with that. My wife feels differently about that last part.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Partly because of Bryn Mawr that requires some "creative" scheduling. I also bet some games were moved due to finals and such - happens often.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CCD3Basketball

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 09, 2016, 10:46:23 AM
Partly because of Bryn Mawr that requires some "creative" scheduling. I also bet some games were moved due to finals and such - happens often.

Yeah, good point
Broadcaster. Writer. Analyst. Fan. Voter. Centennial Conference focus, with an eye on D3 as a whole. D3 Basketball runs my life for over a quarter of the year and I have no problems with that. My wife feels differently about that last part.

Hoopdog14

Conference play is quiet until the New Year.  Some non-conference games, although not largely competitive.  Mules had one game (York College NY)canceled due to weather then eked out a win  against Marywood.  Combined record of bother teams is 0-18.  Add the hand picked  Scotty Wood tournament opponents and the records a combined 16-36.  Less a strive for competition than a desperate attempt to  pump air into a record.

Mules shot 53% and had a 38-24 rebounding advantage and struggled to beat a winless team.  LaRose had a strong game going 9 of 10 for 20 pts while Eric Werheim had a double double 11 pts 12 boards.  Marywood shot only 1 foul shot but hit 9 of21 from 3s over Mules zone defense.  COuld be a long unpleasant conference schedule in January

Reserved Seat

No one is looking strong during the winter stretch of non-league games.  Close wins and losses--the Centennial does not look strong out of conference.

diplomaniac1

Folks -

Belated holiday greetings to all. Hope everyone had a relaxing, safe, and enjoyable New Year's Eve. Now, bring on the rest of the D3 season. Regards,

Eric

centfan

Happy New Year to all D3 and Centennial fans!

Swat Fan #1

Swarthmore is in first place and F&M is tied for last place: Proof the world has turned upside down.  :)

CCHoopster

Quote from: Swat Fan #1 on January 08, 2017, 06:42:53 PM
Swarthmore is in first place and F&M is tied for last place: Proof the world has turned upside down.  :)

This is a great post. Much less activity on this board when the Dips are in the basement.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Swat Fan #1 on January 08, 2017, 06:42:53 PM

I saw F&M on Saturday (was in charge of the video production)... wasn't impressed, though I didn't have high expectations. To be honest, Federici hasn't improved much from his freshman year. Sadly, he was the only offense for the most part. At one point, he was 6-8 (and not taking very good shots at times) while the rest of the team was 8-21. Then at the end, he got a rebound and tried to put a shot up from about 8-feet, but also got acrobatic either avoiding or looking for a foul call. He missed. Got his own rebound. Then flailed trying to get another call. Ball out of bounds, threat over. The most surprising move was Glenn. He yelled at Federici (which he had been doing much of the game) and when he got done, turned to his bench and took Federici out of the game. So F&M down six late played the rest of the minute (two possessions) without Federici. I think that tells a lot.

They are a young team otherwise and don't have a great identity. Federici looks like he wants to take on the pressure, even though he has a few players that look like they are ready to hit some shots for the team. He needs to stop being so selfish and trust the other guys. It can't get any worse than where they are. Let's see what others can do and maybe help turn the team around this year.

Gabriel

Tough loss for the UC Bears on Saturday.  JHU made 15 of 31 three point attempts (48.4 %) which the Bears could not match.  Did not look like bad defense, just hot shooting.  Ursinus came back from a 14 point second deficit to take a 75-72 lead on two Knowles free throws with 15 seconds to play.  JHU hit a three to tie it at 75 with 6 seconds to play.  Bears turned the ball over with 3 seconds to play and fouled Vasiliadis with 1.9 seconds left. He made both shots to make the final 77-75 JHU. 

Ursinus has had problems finishing games lately. Tough schedule this week at WC and Dickinson and home against Getty.  Go Bears!  Go Patriots!

Reserved Seat

F&M/McDaniel game looked like a contest between two 1-3 teams.  Neither team is going to scare anyone.