Regional Rankings and SOS

Started by DIIISuperfan, February 20, 2013, 02:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

dcahill44

Before the SOS numbers came out. Magicman also see the key words RIGHT NOW. Which was a week and half ago.

dcahill44

With the first ranking out I'm slightly surprised that Hobart has jumped Plattsburgh but I was almost dead on.  :) Interested to see what happens with the weeks to come.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI - Regionally rankings will come out on Thursday next week due to the planned stat computer outage (upgrade) at the NCAA headquarters this weekend. Thus all committee calls pushed back a day and as a result rankings will be posted Thursday this week. Game info still through Sunday's games.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

To follow up... the regional rankings will still be released on Thursday this week despite the NCAA stat computers coming back online a day earlier than expected this weekend.

Bengalsrule

Bengalsrule

Can't wait to see the regional rankings tomorrow. Gotta believe that at least another Sunyac team moves in after Hobart lost to Vassar (7-16 record) and Clarkson lost to Union (10-13).

dcahill44

Same teams in a similar order this week... going to be Fisher, Plattsburgh, NYU, Hobart, Skidmore, Clarkson. SUNYAC teams still on outside looking in. SUNYAC looking like a 1 bid league unless Plattsburgh gets upset in conference tournament. If Clarkson keeps winning I think they will be on the bubble and not get into the NCAA Tournament if they get upset in the Liberty League. Last night proves that Fisher is vulnerable in the Empire 8. Going to be an interesting conference tournament in the E8.

magicman

Regional Rankings for the East Region that come out tomorrow should look something like this.

1. St John Fisher

2. Plattsburgh State

3. NYU

4. Skidmore

5. Hobart

6. Clarkson

Hobart and Clarkson should drop down since they both lost last week but probably won't fall out of the rankings. No SUNYAC team is streaking at the right time. Still some tough games left for everyone. More movement possible next week.

This was last week's rankings:

1. St John Fisher

2. Hobart

3. Plattsburgh State

4. Clarkson

5. NYU

6. Skidmore

dcahill44

Regional Rankings week 2
1. St John Fisher
2. Plattsburgh
3. NYU
4. Hobart
5. Skidmore
6. Clarkson

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Week 2's regional rankings made an early appearance today: http://www.d3blogs.com/d3hoops/?p=2630

magicman

Lots of losses this past week among the 6 teams that were regionally ranked. Here's a rundown on the teams that were ranked last week.

NYU 16-8 overall  7-6 UAA conference  Regional Ranking last week #3
Nobody shot themselves in the foot more than NYU. With 2 losses over the weekend they took themselves right out of the picture for any chance of winning the automatic bid that the UAA regular season champion gets. They went from a tie for 1st place into sole possession of 4th place. Their only hope of an NCAA bid would be as a pool C team and that's not going to happen because they should fall out of 3rd place in the regional rankings and into, at best, 5th place if that high. Any team that has losses against Union and Sage probably shouldn't have been ranked in the first place. NYU hasn't beaten a single team in New York State. The only team they beat in the East Region is the 12-13 Stevens Ducks and they're in New Jersey. The Violets went 9-2 in their non-conference schedule. 6 of the teams they beat had losing records that totaled a combined 51-101. Not exactly stellar competition. Even the UAA was not that strong this year, despite having teams ranked all year, they suffered a lot of losses that will most likely result in only 2 teams from that conference getting into the NCAA's despite having an advantage over every D3 team in the country by having conference teams in 5 different regions.

St. John Fisher 21-4 overall 14-2 E8 conference  Regional Ranking last week #1
The Cardinals suffered their first 2 losses in the Empire 8 League in the past week as they dropped 2 of 3 games since the last rankings came out. Their first setback was a 60-59 loss to Alfred, a team the Cardinals beat by 31 points a month ago, and the 2nd loss was to Stevens by a 60-54 score, another team that Fisher had beaten by double figures earlier in the year. In fact the Cardinals were only 1 second away from 3 consecutive losses as their only win was a 1 point 69-68 buzzer beating win over Hartwick that came in between the 2 losses to Alfred and Stevens. Hartwick had scored with 5 seconds left in the game to take a 68-67 lead but Fisher's Chaz Lott, got a great feed and scored on a layup as the horn went off ending the game. That will probably be enough to keep the Cardinals ranked in the top spot in the East Region but the question remains did the Cardinals peak too early? They seem more vulnerable now than at any point in the season. Crazy things seem to happen in the E8 playoffs. And Alfred, Hartwick and Ithaca aren't going anywhere unless they can win the E8's automatic bid. None of them have been regionally ranked and despite an 18-7 record by the Saxons, their strength of schedule won't allow them to leapfrog over the teams that are already ahead of them.

Plattsburgh State 18-7 overall 13-5 SUNYAC conference  Regional Ranking last week #2
These Cardinals would sure like to replay the last 2 minutes of the game against Geneseo on Saturday. With Fisher losing twice, a pair of wins by Plattsburgh could have been just the ticket to boost them ahead of the Pittsford Cardinals and into the top spot of the East region. After beating Brockport by a 60-45 score on Friday evening to secure the top spot in the SUNYAC conference and the right to host the SUNYAC's Final Four, Plattsburgh was looking for a season sweep of Geneseo, a team that already owned a 63-55 victory over St. John Fisher on a neutral court back in December. Geneseo and 2 other SUNYAC teams also owned wins over Medaille, the only other team to beat Fisher heading into this past week. Plattsburgh had handled Geneseo down there by a 68-51 score a month ago, but the Knights were playing to get the 2nd seed and the bye that comes with it to advance automatically into this weekend's semifinals. It was an outstanding game that really came down to a questionable travelling call with 2:08 to play. Plattsburgh had stolen the ball after a 6-0 run to close to within a single point at 72-71 and had the opportunity to take the lead for the first time since early in the first half. As the Plattsburgh player made his move to drive to the basket he took several dribbles and as he's dribbling the ball is called for a travel violation. Geneseo came down and scored to go up by 3 points. Plattsburgh missed a three pointer and then Geneseo hit a three pointer that bounced 6 feet up in the air after hitting the back of the rim came down hit both sides of the rim and finally dropped through. That was the killer and the Knights held on for an 80-73 win. Plattsburgh should still remain in the 2nd spot of the regional rankings with their 1-1 week.

Skidmore 17-7 overall 14-2 LL conf Regional Ranking last week #5
Skidmore clinched the top seed in the LL this past weekend and after their 2-0 week that should be enough to push them ahead of Hobart into the 3rd spot. The Thoroughbreds won their final 6 games of the season to break out of a 3 way tie for the lead and capture the regular season crown. They will host RIT in the semifinals on Wednesday Feb 25th at 8:00 PM.

Hobart 18-7 overall 13-3 LL conf Regional Ranking last week #4
The Statesmen didn't have any slipups last week as they won both games they played, but barely got by RIT 53-51. It was the loss to bottom feeder, Vassar 65-63, 9 days ago that prevented Hobart from winning the regular season and claiming the top seed. That still smarts and should be enough to keep them behind Skidmore. They will host Clarkson in a semifinal game on Wednesday night at 7:00 PM.

Clarkson 19-6 overall 12-4 LL conf Regional Ranking last week #6
The Golden Knights went 1-1 last week but the Union loss ten days ago was the one that really hurt. With a win over Skidmore yesterday they were looking at the 2nd seed and a home playoff game since they would have owned the tiebreaker over Skidmore, who would have been relegated to 3rd place. But the loss to Union effectively took them out of contention for the top seed. That one may come back to haunt them. They will probably stay in the 6th spot unless the committee sees fit to put them ahead of NYU.

Hard to see any other teams crack the rankings. Geneseo had they won that game against Oswego last Tuesday would have been a likely suspect, as they would have had an 8 game winning streak, tied Plattsburgh with a 13-5 SUNYAC record and had a 17-8 overall mark. And as I mentioned above Alfred has the best record of a team not currently ranked. I just think their SOS won't let them get in the door. Cortland is 17-8 but couldn't make the SUNYAC playoffs.                                     

dcahill44

Regional Rankings week 3
1. St John Fisher
2. Skidmore
3. Plattsburgh
4. Hobart
5. NYU
6. Clarkson

magicman

Quote from: dcahill44 on February 24, 2015, 03:50:35 PM
Regional Rankings week 3
1. St John Fisher
2. Skidmore
3. Plattsburgh
4. Hobart
5. NYU
6. Clarkson

I'm afraid when the 3rd set of Regional Rankings are released later today that they will probably be in the order you have listed them. As I stated in my post of Monday I had all of those teams in that order except I would rank Plattsburgh over Skidmore because Plattsburgh defeated the Thoroughbreds on Skidmore's home court. Plattsburgh also has a slightly better record than Skidmore. That's enough for me to put them in 2nd and Skidmore in 3rd. Unfortunately because Plattsburgh went 1-1 for the week and Skidmore went 2-0 I expect the regional committee to do the wrong thing and put Skidmore 2nd and Plattsburgh 3rd. ::)   

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

magicman - as much as you have some points... I think you are ignoring some things that are crucial:

Skidmore:     17-7 (.708)   .553 SOS   2-4 vRRO
Plattsburgh   18-7 (.720)   .526 SOS   1-0 vRRO

Here's the thing... Plattsburgh's 1-0 vRRO is the h2h win over Skidmore. If you remove that game from the vRRO... Skidmore is now 2-3 and Plattsburgh is 0-0 (because they aren't going to consider the game twice). And there is no common opponents to look at.

I am not sure when the WL is that close, but the SOS is as close to the .030 as you can get... plus the vRRO still favors Skidmore (on the quick glance, they played five teams to Plattsburgh's none - outside of the h2h).. I am not sure how you can put Plattsburgh ahead of Skidmore based on primarily the h2h.