Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LibertyLeagueGuru

Liberty League playoffs are set:

RIT @ Skidmore

Clarkson @ Hobart

Gotta think Skidmore will dispatch RIT with ease as RIT does not have a win against any other playoff team.

Clarkson @ Hobart should be a great matchup, almost too close to call.

Seems like it's Skidmore's year though.

Tough ending for St. Lawrence who just had to win one of their final 3 games to make the playoffs. Ended up blowing a 20 point second half lead in one game and losing in overtime in another. Thats gotta hurt.

Bartman

Quote from: LibertyLeagueGuru on February 24, 2015, 11:12:40 AM
Liberty League playoffs are set:

RIT @ Skidmore

Clarkson @ Hobart

Gotta think Skidmore will dispatch RIT with ease as RIT does not have a win against any other playoff team.

Clarkson @ Hobart should be a great matchup, almost too close to call.

Seems like it's Skidmore's year though.

Tough ending for St. Lawrence who just had to win one of their final 3 games to make the playoffs. Ended up blowing a 20 point second half lead in one game and losing in overtime in another. Thats gotta hurt.

Agree Hobart v. Clarkson should be a good one but not so sure it is Skidmore's year if Hobart beats Clarkson. Skidmore's is 0-2 vs. Statesmen. We will see.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

magicman

Clarkson defeats Hobart by a 69-59 final score.

Clarkson scores their final 16 points from the foul line as they hit 16x19 in the final 2:21 as Hobart started the foul parade. The Golden Knights led this one from start to finish as they opened up with a 12-4 advantage. The Statesmen cut it to 3 points on several occasions in the first period, but after Hobart's Connor Rehbaum cut a 9 point Clarkson lead to 6 with a hoop and harm with 1:44 left in the half the Knights came back with a John Coleman layup and a jumper by Drew Zlogar to make it a double digit 30-20 Clarkson lead at the break.

Hobart managed to cut the lead to 3 points at 32-29 early in the 2nd half, but Clarkson's Charles McCallister hit a pair of free throws and then drained a 3 pointer to build the lead back to 37-29 with 16:07 left to play. Hobart never got closer than a 2 possession deficit after that and when Zlogar hit another 3 pointer and Coleman followed with another layup on consecutive opportunities the lead was 12 at 51-39 and only 5 minutes left in the game.
Clarkson was deadly from the line to keep the Statesmen from mounting a comeback.

John Coleman led Clarkson with 14 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals. Dylan Hodownes had 12 points while Charles McCallister had 10 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists.

Trey Blanding was the game's high scorer with 24 points. He also had 7 steals, 5 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks. Andrew Hoy had 13 points and Connor Rehbaum had 11 points with 5 rebounds.

Clarkson will now face Skidmore on Saturday for the LL Championship

magicman

Skidmore doubling up RIT 40-20 at the half.

magicman

Skidmore defeats RIT 72-51.

Clarkson at Skidmore for the Championship

dcahill44

Tough shooting night for the Statesmen as Clarkson moves on to face Skidmore for the Liberty League championship in Saratoga.

Bartman

Statesmen used up all their threes against Union last week(17-33 v. 4-25 last night). Bad Hobart shooting night but Clarkson played good Defense and showed grit to keep pushing Statesmen back. Disappointing for Hobart but they exceeded realistic expectations this season with great effort by Seniors all season and admirable first season for Coach Sweeney. Congrats to Clarkson as they will give Skidmore all they can handle. Good luck to both teams in the final.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

ITH radio

Bummer re Hobart but a good first season for Coach Sweeney.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

magicman

East Region Teams in the NCAA Tournament tonight.

Oswego State vs Calvin College  at Mount Union College   5:30 PM

Good luck to the Oswego Lakers in tonight's NCAA game. The oddsmakers have made the Lakers a 5 point underdog against Calvin College. Hope Oswego can pull off the upset.

Skidmore College vs Wesleyan University at Johns Hopkins University  5:30 PM

The Thoroughbreds are a slight 1 point favorite here and even though Wesleyan is the NESCAC champions they were only the 6th seed in their tournament. They got hot at the right time but Skidmore has the talent to play with these guys. Hope the Liberty League representatives can win one for the East Region.

#18 WPI at #20 St. John Fisher   7:30 PM

Glad the Cardinals got a home game here. This game matches up 2 teams that are both ranked in the D3hoops Top 25. The point spread favors the Cardinals by a slim 3 points. Fisher needs a big game from Keegan Ryan and Chaz Lott.

SUNY-Cobleskill at William Paterson   7:30 PM

The Fighting Tigers better sharpen their claws because they will have a tough time against the Pioneers from Willie Pat. The oddsmakers have made the Pioneers an 18 point home favorite. Maybe Cobleskill can take a page out of Morrisville's book and pull off the upset of another New Jersey Athletic Conference team like the Mustangs did last year when they knocked off Richard Stockton in the Sweet 16 and the year before that when they beat host Ramapo in the first round. Sure would like to see the NEAC conference take down an NJAC team for the 3rd year in a row. 

Of interest is that the last 2 times William Paterson made the NCAA tournament they were big favorites in the opening round. In 2009-10 a highly ranked 25-2 Willie Pat team, lost in the 1st round to Albertus Magnus when nobody had ever heard of Albertus Magnus. Two years later they were the NJAC champions of the 2011-12 season and again highly ranked. That William Paterson team was 24-3 and played at home against tiny Becker College (enrollment 1299 students) and Becker beat then by a 69-53 margin in the first round. So...hey you never know.         

magicman

Skidmore leads Wesleyan 68-60 with 4:20 left to play.

magicman

The Liberty League Champs prevail over the NESCAC Champs as Skidmore defeats Wesleyan 81-66.

Connor Merrill led all scorers with 28 points. Erik Sanders had 19 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 steals.
Aldin Medunjanin had 16 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists and a steal. Martin Bedulskij had a team high 10 rebounds and 8 points.

Wesleyan was led by Jack Mackey with 15 points,6 rebounds and 5 assists. BJ Davis had 14 points and a game high 11 rebounds, while Rashid Epps also had 11 rebounds and 13 points.

Skidmore will play the winner of the Johns Hopkins/Keene State game tomorrow.

magicman

Skidmore drops a close one to Johns Hopkins by a 61-58 final score.

The game featured 6 ties and 15 lead changes as it went back and forth the entire game. Skidmore with a chance to tie it at the buzzer but coudn't get the shot to go down.

Nice season for the Thoroughbreds. Congratulations.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Forgive me... but I thought it was appropriate that Skidmore played a couple miles from famed Pimlico. The difference... Thoroughbreds tend to only run once while in Baltimore... not twice in a weekend. LOL

Skidmore had a nice game against Wesleyan (I was on hand) and then played well against Hopkins, who I thought would dominate (watched online). Hats off to Skidmore.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

magicman

D3hoops has released their All Region Teams. Here's the one from the East Region. No surprises here. Too many good players and never enough awards to go around. I could easily come up with 15 more players that deserve to be mentioned for their achievements both on and off the court. Congratulations to all the players on this list, plus all the players and coaches who didn't make this list, for giving me so many hours of enjoyment through this long cold winter here in the North Country. Next season's first practice is only 213 days away. ;) 

March 16, 2015
D3hoops.com 2015 men's All-East Region team

Players were nominated for these awards by the Sports Information Directors at the various schools.

Player of the Year: Gordon Lyons, Geneseo State
Coach of the Year: Rob Kornaker, St. John Fisher
Rookie of the Year: Ian Helps, F, Fredonia State

First team     
Pos.   Player          School       Yr. Hometown
G Aldin Medunjanin Skidmore Jr. New York, N.Y.
G John Coleman Clarkson Sr. Potsdam, N.Y.
F Keegan Ryan St. John Fisher So. Plattsburgh, N.Y.
F Gordon Lyons Geneseo State Sr. Amherst, N.Y.
F Evan Kupferberg NYU Jr. Boca Raton, Fla.

Second team     
Pos.   Player       School       Yr.    Hometown
G Brian Sortino Oswego State So. Fairport, N.Y.
G Zach Mager Oneonta State Sr. New City, N.Y.
F CJ Dunston Lancaster Bible Jr. Elkton, Md.
F Mitch Ford Nazareth Jr. Victor, N.Y.
F Reggie Williams Plattsburgh State Sr. Yonkers, N.Y.

Third team     
Pos.    Player         School        Yr.     Hometown
G Chris Cartwright Buffalo State Sr. Binghamton, N.Y.
G Trey Gordon Gallaudet Jr. Talladega, Ala.
G Connor Rehbaum Hobart Sr. Cheektowaga, N.Y.
G Chaz Lott St. John Fisher Jr. Wynanskill, N.Y.
F Maurice Mills Nazareth Jr. Utica, N.Y.

Here's a link to the complete list of All Region Teams:

http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-region/2014-15/index

magicman

Congratulations to the following players from the East Region who, today, were chosen as All Americans by the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

Gordon Lyons senior forward from Geneseo State who was selected as an NABC 1st Team All American

John Coleman senior forward from Clarkson College who was selected as an NABC 2nd Team All American

Keegan Ryan sophomore forward from St. John Fisher College who was selected as an NABC 3rd Team All American

Here' a link to the complete list of All Americans:

http://static.psbin.com/1/5/jqtd9kjc8xjjmf/NABC_Announces_2015_Coaches-_Division_III_All-America_Teams.pdf