The Undefeated and the Winless

Started by Greek Tragedy, November 16, 2005, 02:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailsy

Quote from: smedindy on August 26, 2016, 08:04:03 PM
Quote from: mailsy on August 22, 2016, 11:07:37 PM
Quote from: pg04 on March 04, 2016, 08:49:04 PM
But the search for what Summit used to be called lives on.  ;)
Quote from: smedindy on March 04, 2016, 09:49:43 PM
Wasn't it Baptist Bible or something like that? My memory may be fading... ;)

BTW. They changed the name again. It's now Clarks Summit University.  ???

They just don't want the jokes to stop, do they?

They're bordering on the Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim, California, USA, Earth foolishness.

The reason they supposedly changed the name again is that there is another Summit University elsewhere in the country.

I don't see them changing again unless.... they find another place that's known as Clarks Summit and has a university or there is a local benefactor who leaves them a whole lot of money like Rowan University(once known as Glassboro State) did some years ago.
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: mailsy on August 27, 2016, 10:47:07 AM

They're bordering on the Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim, California, USA, Earth foolishness.

The reason they supposedly changed the name again is that there is another Summit University elsewhere in the country.

I don't see them changing again unless.... they find another place that's known as Clarks Summit and has a university or there is a local benefactor who leaves them a whole lot of money like Rowan University(once known as Glassboro State) did some years ago.

You'd think they'd have checked the first time.

smedindy

Having the same name doesn't stop the varoius St. (Insert Name Here). Nor did it stop Cornell. Or Pacific. Or even Miami.

I mean, they've already moved the ENTIRE COLLEGE once from NY to PA. Ya think anything will stop them from changing names again?

mailsy

Quote from: KnightSlappy on August 27, 2016, 04:14:31 PM
Quote from: mailsy on August 27, 2016, 10:47:07 AM

You'd think they'd have checked the first time.

They did. But they didn't think that it was going to be a big deal until the original Summit University sued them for name infringement.  ::)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI - they are now named for the town they are in, Clark Summit, so I doubt we see another change. Who knows what was going on behind the scenes, but likely they were getting confused with the other Summit University.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

gordonmann

There were other schools called Baptist Bible, too. I have friends who attended Baptist Bible in Missouri and I don't think they even realized there was one near Scranton.

I suggest they change their name to St. Mary's or Trinity, just to make things really interesting. :)

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: gordonmann on August 29, 2016, 02:19:32 PM
There were other schools called Baptist Bible, too. I have friends who attended Baptist Bible in Missouri and I don't think they even realized there was one near Scranton.

I suggest they change their name to St. Mary's or Trinity, just to make things really interesting. :)

... or Concordia
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on August 29, 2016, 02:33:34 PM

... or Concordia
perhaps Monmouth or Johnson & Wales?
My prediction is next they'll shorten their name to just Clark. I'm sure there'd be no problem with that ;D
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Mr. Ypsi

... or Concordia

I wonder if there are more Concordias or Wesleyans?  (At least most of the Wesleyans have a state name right in the title to reduce confusion! ::))

I recall that there is a Concordia tourney.  A Wesleyan tourney could be quite a small college battle: Kentucky Wesleyan won some D2 national titles many years ago (no idea what they are like lately), and Virginia Wesleyan and Illinois Wesleyan are perennial powers in D3, as is Ohio Wesleyan at least some years.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are years where even an 8 team tourney could be VERY interesting!

sac

There are 20 American colleges or universities with Wesleyan in their name, vs 11 Concordia's.

Methodists win!

mailsy

Quote from: sac on August 29, 2016, 09:18:11 PM
There are 20 American colleges or universities with Wesleyan in their name, vs 11 Concordia's.

Methodists win!

Well we know there are at least 2 colleges that have Summit in their name. That's how this whole thing got started.  ;D

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 29, 2016, 08:20:36 PM

... or Concordia

I wonder if there are more Concordias or Wesleyans?  (At least most of the Wesleyans have a state name right in the title to reduce confusion! ::))

I recall that there is a Concordia tourney.  A Wesleyan tourney could be quite a small college battle: Kentucky Wesleyan won some D2 national titles many years ago (no idea what they are like lately), and Virginia Wesleyan and Illinois Wesleyan are perennial powers in D3, as is Ohio Wesleyan at least some years.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are years where even an 8 team tourney could be VERY interesting!

Indiana Wesleyan is #2 on that list behind Kentucky Wesleyan, which is still very formidable; the Panthers have won 20 or more games for the past five seasons in a row. As for Eye Woo, the Wildcats have won two of the last three NAIA-D2 national championships, and they've just added a transfer from Bradley who played in 26 games (with two starts) for the Braves as a freshman last season.

Quote from: sac on August 29, 2016, 09:18:11 PM

Methodists win!

While all of the schools with "Wesleyan" in their name come out of the Methodist tradition, only two of the three denominations affiliated with "Wesleyan"-monikered schools explicitly call themselves "Methodists". The United Methodist Church, the Free Methodist Church, and the Wesleyan Church all have schools called ____ Wesleyan. And then there's the oldest of the schools named after the founder of Methodism, the NESCAC institution known as plain ol' Wesleyan University ... and that school has been secular and unaffiliated for generations. (The women's college in Georgia called Wesleyan College is a United Methodist affiliate.)

The Concordia situation is much less complicated. Ten of the U.S. colleges and universities that go by that name are affiliated with the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod. The lone Concordia that isn't LCMS is Concordia-Moorhead; the MIAC's Cobbers play for a school that is attached to the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 30, 2016, 07:12:12 PM
... And then there's the oldest of the schools named after the founder of Methodism, the NESCAC institution known as plain ol' Wesleyan University ... and that school has been secular and unaffiliated for generations. (The women's college in Georgia called Wesleyan College is a United Methodist affiliate.)

Were John Wesley to ride up to that school now (on horseback surely, as he rode 20 miles per day for 40 years, 250,000 total), he would remove his name from the institution by sundown.

Gregory Sager

Yep. And he probably wouldn't be very happy about having his name attached to some of those other schools, either.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

This is where I swoop in and take something a little too far, but I have been reading to many college histories lately and I cannot help myself.

Fun fact: the Methodists lost at least four Wesleyan colleges over the last century.  Two in Missouri including Missouri Wesleyan and both Montana Wesleyan and Michigan Wesleyan.  The Lutherans Missouri Synod lost one Concordia in Fort Wayne which is know part of Indiana Tech.  The Concordia College in Indiana was reportedly a basketball powerhouse (or Basket Ball powerhouse) back in the day but, you know, Indiana...