MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hopefan

on Brooklyn College sked... St Thomas at Brooklyn College, Thursday Nov 15....

Not yet on St Thomas Sked or on D3hoops pages.... 

Is it correct?.....  Does St. Thomas play a second game in the metro area?

Great experience for the upper midwest kids many who have likely never been to the city....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

Quote from: hopefan on July 27, 2018, 02:22:34 PM

Great experience for the upper midwest kids many who have likely never been to the city....

Lo and behold, the St. thomas and Dhoops schedules now show this game.....  still sitting as a one game trip...
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: hopefan on July 29, 2018, 12:01:35 PM

Lo and behold, the St. thomas and Dhoops schedules now show this game.....  still sitting as a one game trip...

Yep -- you mentioned the Brooklyn schedule was out so I punched it in. Still missing four UST games, though -- only 21 posted so far.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 29, 2018, 01:56:20 PM

Yep -- you mentioned the Brooklyn schedule was out so I punched it in. Still missing four UST games, though -- only 21 posted so far.
I'll go out on a  limb and guess this is one of those four you're missing--
http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/07/d3-teams-to-play-in-first-us-bank-hoops-game

As far as I've heard, there is a 2nd game in the works on the NY trip and the other 2 will be announced shortly, most likely WIAC border-battles
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

John Gleich

Quote from: miacmaniac on August 01, 2018, 11:18:48 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 29, 2018, 01:56:20 PM

I'll go out on a  limb and guess this is one of those four you're missing--
http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2018/07/d3-teams-to-play-in-first-us-bank-hoops-game

As far as I've heard, there is a 2nd game in the works on the NY trip and the other 2 will be announced shortly, most likely WIAC border-battles

I count 25 now.

https://www.tommiesports.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/schedule
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Gregory Sager

NPU assistant coach Joe Fano has just been hired as the new head coach at St. Mary's (MN).

https://saintmaryssports.com/news/2018/8/20/fano-named-head-mens-basketball-coach.aspx?path=mbball

Good luck to Joe. He's stepping into a tough situation, as the Cardinals haven't had a winning campaign in over three decades, and they've suffered through 20-loss seasons in five of the last seven years.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

jimhoops1234

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 20, 2018, 03:47:35 PM
NPU assistant coach Joe Fano has just been hired as the new head coach at St. Mary's (MN).

https://saintmaryssports.com/news/2018/8/20/fano-named-head-mens-basketball-coach.aspx?path=mbball

Good luck to Joe. He's stepping into a tough situation, as the Cardinals haven't had a winning campaign in over three decades, and they've suffered through 20-loss seasons in five of the last seven years.

Including L 24 and 3-37 over last 40 games

SUMMIT!!!!!

After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Smitty Oom

For the MIAC fans that don't venture to the Multi-Region thread too often...

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4097.0

Titan Q, who was on last years NCAA d3hoops.com mock selection show, made his own top 25 and had SJU and St. Olaf included with Bethel as the first team out at #26.

For those who don't feel like St. Olaf should be included in the top 25, they have a pretty tough non-conference, playing projected top 25 ranked UWSP and Whitworth. They also play Bethany Lutheran who might be the best UMAC ream again this year.

Hopefully the MIAC can have a couple of top 25 teams for the majority of the year!

GoldandBlueBU

Hard to believe it's almost that time of year- I admittedly don't pay much attention until December.

Interested to see just how far the Johnnies can go this year - last year's one-and-done probably left a pretty bad taste in their mouths.

What are the expectations for UST? 

No idea what to expect from BU, though they'll return enough experience to be competitive, I doubt they'll seriously contend.

Pat Coleman

Smitty Oom

QuoteInterested to see just how far the Johnnies can go this year - last year's one-and-done probably left a pretty bad taste in their mouths.

I still think they have the most talent on their roster, even after losing Weiss, Strom and Goetz. With that being said I think a lot of the Jonnies season will depend if Stokman can bounce back after a rougher junior year than what we have come to expect from him. Walford, Alade and even Oakley Baker should all see more usage this year and my guess is they will be able to fill their expanded roles.

QuoteWhat are the expectations for UST?

They lose what in my eyes was their only consistently really good player in Ryan Boll. With that said, they had some solid contributions from younger guys such as Ryan Lindberg and Burt Hedstrom who could step into bigger roles this year. Also, word has it they brought in another really good freshman class, but still to be seen if they can see significant minutes. I mentioned this in the top 25 thread, but I was surprised to see UST gather quite a bit of votes in the top 25 poll. One team that was below them that looks to be bringing back a lot of firepower and was really good last year is Loras from the ARC (IIAC). Anyways, UST hoops has built a program of credibility and excellence that explains the votes, even though I think I would like to see the Toms prove it on the court to me this season before I claim they are back to being worthy of a top 25 vote. Especially in a year with so much talent returning across the country.

QuoteNo idea what to expect from BU, though they'll return enough experience to be competitive, I doubt they'll seriously contend.

I expect BU to be very solid this year with some solid returning talent and their unique style of play under Novak which has been successful in the last handful of years. I think that BU, SJU and Olaf (three of four teams that received votes in the top 25) are the top tier in the MIAC this year. The next tier are very similar, Augsburg, UST and Carleton are all teams that lose their best player  (Olmsheid, Boll, Grow, respectively) but return a nice stable of players. As of right now I would expect these 6 teams to be locked into the playoffs, with the Gusties being a cut above the rest of the remaining teams.

AO

Quote from: Smitty Oom on October 22, 2018, 09:56:20 AM
The next tier are very similar, Augsburg, UST and Carleton are all teams that lose their best player  (Olmsheid, Boll, Grow, respectively) but return a nice stable of players.
Speaking of Carleton losing their best player, I checked to see how Freddie was doing at Baylor. They announced he was going on scholarship back in May. 

https://baylorbears.com/news/2018/5/17/MBB_amp_8217_s_Gillespie_Earns_Scholarship.aspx

Most ridiculous stat from the article has to be the 7'6" wingspan which is insane for someone that's 6'8".   Of all the guys in the NBA draft last year only Mo Bamba had a longer wingspan.  7'2" Isaac Haas had a shorter winspan at 7'4".