Stephen Strasburg

Started by Mr. Ypsi, June 08, 2010, 08:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

He's lookin' like the real deal so far - in five innings, 4 hits and 8 Ks.  Unfortunately, he also trails 2-1.

The OTHER game everyone is watching (Armando Galarraga's first start since his '*perfect game'), is just getting underway.

Mr. Ypsi

I guess Galarraga didn't want to test his ability to stay cool twice in a row - the lead-off batter for the ChiSox singled! ;)  While he eventually made it to third, there was no further damage.

ECSUalum

4-2 Nationals on a Dunn 2 run Homer and Willingham solo shot!!!!

Mr. Ypsi

Yeah!  Strasburg struck out the side in the top of the 6th - 11 Ks!  But I've read he is on a strict pitch-count of 80 (and is now at 81) so that may be it.  Since he was still the pitcher of record, we'll see if the bullpen can preserve his first win.

ECSUalum

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 08, 2010, 08:39:25 PM
Yeah!  Strasburg struck out the side in the top of the 6th - 11 Ks!  But I've read he is on a strict pitch-count of 80 (and is now at 81) so that may be it.  Since he was still the pitcher of record, we'll see if the bullpen can preserve his first win.

Makes sense, if he does come out, hope Nats bullpen can hold.  Quality start for sure 8-)

ECSUalum

6 Straight K's  AMAZING young man!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Ypsi

WOW!!  Strasburg continued after all, and struck out the Bucs again in the 7th!  14 Ks.

This guy might be a keeper! ;D

In a way it would be a shame to remove him now, but I sure hope the Nats don't wreck his arm.

Mr. Ypsi

And his night is over.  He certainly deserves the win, so I hope the Nats' pen can hold.

Anyone know how 14 Ks in a MLB debut ranks?

ECSUalum

Name                       IP H R ER BB K     ERA*

S Strasburg (W,1-0) 7  4 2   2   0 14    2.57

14 Ks no walks!!!!!!

ECSUalum

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 08, 2010, 09:09:56 PM
And his night is over.  He certainly deserves the win, so I hope the Nats' pen can hold.

Anyone know how 14 Ks in a MLB debut ranks?

3rd best according to  commentators

Mr. Ypsi

J. R. Richards and Karl Spooner each had 15 in their debuts, but each of them had three walks (Strasburg had none).  I'd call it the most dramatic debut in history!

In the other game, Galarraga is now done after 5 innings of 7-hit, 2-run ball.  Despite his 2009 season, I was already a fan.  But 2009 was such a disaster he started the season in triple A.  Last week's game, with his calm response, made me a fan for life.  With virtually any other pitcher or umpire, that could have gotten VERY ugly.

sac

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 08, 2010, 10:15:25 PM
J. R. Richards and Karl Spooner each had 15 in their debuts, but each of them had three walks (Strasburg had none).  I'd call it the most dramatic debut in history!

In the other game, Galarraga is now done after 5 innings of 7-hit, 2-run ball.  Despite his 2009 season, I was already a fan.  But 2009 was such a disaster he started the season in triple A.  Last week's game, with his calm response, made me a fan for life.  With virtually any other pitcher or umpire, that could have gotten VERY ugly.

Jason Hayward and Atlanta Braves fans might disagree. :)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: sac on June 08, 2010, 10:26:40 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 08, 2010, 10:15:25 PM

Jason Hayward and Atlanta Braves fans might disagree. :)

My memory banks don't register this - you'll have to explain. ;)

szlongball

I'll wait to get on the bandwagon after he has faced some rea ltough teams.  Sure that is why they scheduled him to make his debut against the Pirates.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: szlongball on June 08, 2010, 10:56:10 PM
I'll wait to get on the bandwagon after he has faced some rea ltough teams.  Sure that is why they scheduled him to make his debut against the Pirates.

I'm not putting him in the Hall of Fame just yet. :P

But against anyone, that is an impressive start.

Any reason to diss the kid?