TOP 25

Started by short, July 11, 2008, 10:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADL70

UMHB and Wittenberg struggled to win against teams who are not highly regarded and lose votes and places, as I think they probablyv should  Meanwhile Depauw struggles to win against (then) 3-3 Trinity, but gains fourteen points and two places, jumping Wabash and CWRU.

The power of the front page or the tradition of Trinity or props for going for the win instead of the tie and OT?
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Pat Coleman

I didn't move DePauw on my ballot but I could certainly see that DePauw gets some props on some ballots for overcoming that last roadblock, even if Trinity is not what it has been.

I doubt there is a 'power of the front page' with our voters. They all get the same schedule and results no matter what.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

I didn't move DePauw either, or if I did, it wasn't much. But at some point you do have to give credit for an almost-loss not ending up as a loss.

Power of the front page. Interesting.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ryan Tipps

I was one of those who did move DePauw a fair amount. I know this is one of the subjective parts of polling, but I give credit to DPU for winning a game with this much "baggage."

Trinity might only have been 3-3, but beating them meant a lot more to me than had DPU beaten a 3-3 Austin, or something of that sorts. DePauw manned up and won on the road, something they've never done at Trinity before.

To me, it counted a lot (suppose that fits into the "tradition of Trinity" point that was mentioned). Though it was really just another reason to give DePauw the credit it deserves on my ballot :)
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

Ralph Turner

I am not one of the voters, but what DePauw did was unprecedented in the program's SCAC history. Every conference game is tough.  DPU did what they had to do.  A "let-up" and a loss will un-do what they did last week.

As it stands today, DPU is one of the last 32 teams playing this season.

Mr. Ypsi

New poll is up.  There must have been an awful lot of doubters about Montclair's ranking - from #14 they fell all the way out with a 1-pt., last-minute loss to a solid team.  That seems mighty unusual for this late in the season.

sflzman

I notice though, that Cortland and Rowan are in the top 25.....interesting how that works with the each three teams 1-1 vs. each other
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

theoriginalupstate

So win by 32 and you drop out of the poll?

Awesome!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Upstate on October 31, 2010, 09:05:16 PM

Awesome!

I almost commented on that too - I think their problem was that the team that beat them last week lost to a (previously) 1-win team.

sflzman

Awesome!

No kidding! No love for St. John Fisher!
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 31, 2010, 09:08:23 PM

Awesome!

I almost commented on that too - I think their problem was that the team that beat them last week lost to a (previously) 1-win team.

It was two completely different teams, the AU team I watched vs SJF would probably knock off every East team.  The AU team I saw yesterday could barely get out of their own way...

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Upstate on October 31, 2010, 09:12:33 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 31, 2010, 09:08:23 PM

Awesome!

It was two completely different teams, the AU team I watched vs SJF would probably knock off every East team.  The AU team I saw yesterday could barely get out of their own way...

I have no info to comment on that either way; just saying what (I assume) the poll voters were seeing.

For ranking purposes, if you lose to a team you want them to keep winning.  (This does not apply, of course, if they are standing in the way of your AQ! ::))

02 Warhawk

Quick question: Is there something about the ECFC that they get no love? SUNY-Maritime is currently undefeated but they didn't receive any votes.

Is the ECFC that weak that no one will consider them in the 25 top? Or is there something that I don't know about that's going on with that conference or team?

thanks in advance

Pat Coleman

Yeah, it's a new conference and the teams are just not very good. They're comparable to the NEFC teams.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 01, 2010, 10:30:51 AM
Yeah, it's a new conference and the teams are just not very good. They're comparable to the NEFC teams.

I think the top NEFC teams would handle SUNY-Maritime quite easily...

Whomever draws SUNY-Martime and the NEFC rep will basically get a bye week...