CCIW

Started by Fawkes316, July 10, 2006, 01:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DIIIdad

I knew it had to happen sooner or later, but Augie is no longer undefeated and untied.  They tied Cal Lutheran 1-1 on Sunday.  The record of 1-0-1 on the trip to California is pretty respectable given that they were playing the #5 and #6 in the West Region.  On top of that, travel arrangements were messed up due to weather conditions, so they ended up flying and playing the same date. 

Augie is now 10-0-1, and has allowed only 4 goals all season.  However, the meat of the schedule is still to come with games against Carroll, Wheaton and Illinois Wesleyan, not to mention 3 other conference games with North Park, North Central and Elmhurst. 

Jim Matson

They moved up again in the rankings, but not as much as I would have expected.  I thought the road trip was a good one for them and will be great preparation for Wheaton and Illinois Wesleyan.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

DIIIdad

I think 19th is about right for Augie right now.  While the schedule has been tweaked to increase the strength of opponents, they haven't beaten anybody that has shown up in any rankings until the recent California trip.  Although, they have defeated 3 teams that did make it to the NCAA tournament last year in Edgewood, Carthage and Loras. 

They play a tough Carroll team tomorrow night and then North Park this weekend.  With Wheaton and Illinois Wesleyan looming, we'll see where Augie stands after those two games.   

DIIIdad

Well, it was bound to happen - Augie lost 2-1 to Carroll University last night.  Augie had chances early that they did not finish, and Carroll then got on the board about 12 minutes in.  Carroll then added another to lead 2-0 at halftime.  Augie did score 3 minutes into the 2nd half, and had many chances to tie the game, but they could not convert.

Now that the undefeated monkey is off their backs, perhaps the Vikings will get back to playing like they did at the beginning of the season.  6 games remain, with 5 of them being CCIW games, including Wheaton and Illinois Wesleyan. 

I'm predicting a big bounce back game on Saturday night at North Park.

DIIIdad

October 7, 2009

Elmhurst 2, Aurora 0
Millikin 5, Rose-Hulman 2
Illinois Wesleyan 4, North Central 1
Carroll 2, Augustana 1

Non-conference total is 51-17-4

Jim Matson

It was a weird day/night for Augie, that's for sure.  I wouldn't have thought they would have chance of a loss unless it was at the hands of Illinois Wesleyan or Wheaton.  Carroll is a good team, but Augie had the skill set to beat them.

On the other hand, the Viking men pulled a nice upset, and in fact, looked every bit like Wheaton' equal.  They played great defense and their coach had a game plan that worked.  Their goal was a good one and it was their only real good opportunity.  Wheaton had plently of chances, but good stops on all of them.  Wheaton needs to regroup becuase if they can't play better than a 3-6 squad, they'll never see the post-season.

DIIIdad

Quote from: Jim Matson on October 08, 2009, 12:03:26 PM
It was a weird day/night for Augie, that's for sure.  I wouldn't have thought they would have chance of a loss unless it was at the hands of Illinois Wesleyan or Wheaton.  Carroll is a good team, but Augie had the skill set to beat them.  

You could see from the trend of play since the start of the season that they were ripe for a loss.  Some on the team started to believe that they could win just by showing up.  I don't think they realized that the target on their backs kept growing with every win, and also with the appearance in the polls.  For Carroll, last night was a huge win - it makes their season.  

I don't think Coach Mejia will ever admit it, but if I'm in his shoes, I'm OK with that loss last night.  It was not a conference game and it was to a team with a good record.  I guarantee you he will have the girls' attention in training today and tomorrow, and I expect a nice bounce back on Saturday at North Park.  Hopefully, the team will not be looking ahead to next week's game against Wheaton.  A couple more days of training next week, with constant reminders of the effort in the loss last night, and Augie should come out supercharged for the home game against Wheaton.  

Of course, I could be completely wrong too.

DIIIdad

October 11, 2009

Aurora 3, Millikin 2

October 10, 2009

North Central 3, Beloit 0
Illinois Wesleyan 2, Elmhurst 1
Augustana 1, North Park 0

October 9, 2009

Wheaton 4, Carthage 0

Non-conference total is 52-18-4

DIIIdad

Augie got back in the win column with a 1-0 victory over North Park on Saturday night.  Not exactly the bounce back I was hoping for, but Augie did dominate the game 23-4 in shots, and 13-1 in shots on goal. 

Augie is going to need to finish some of those chances if they hope to beat Wheaton on Wednesday.  This next game is what they have been looking forward to all season.  Earlier in the season, I liked Augie's chances against Wheaton.  However, of late, Augie has been unable to finish. 

DIIIdad

October 13, 2009
Illinois Wesleyan 6, Fontbonne 0

Non-conference total is 53-18-4

Tonight is the Wheaton @ Augie game.  I'll be there and will report the good (hopefully) news tomorrow.

Jim Matson

Great win for Augie, DIIIDad!  Congrats!

DIIIdad

Quote from: Jim Matson on October 15, 2009, 12:20:23 AM
Great win for Augie, DIIIDad!  Congrats!

Holy cow, what a game!  3-2 win in OT.  I was afraid that Augie would try to play low pressure again as they have done against Wheaton in the past.  Not last night.  The game was more like a heavyweight fight with attack and counter-attack by both teams.  

Augie took it to them from the opening kick and took the lead about 12 minutes in.  Wheaton countered with a beautiful goal of its own and the half ended in a 1-1 tie.  I thought Augie let off the gas pedal after they got the 1 goal lead, but I'm sure some of that had to do with Wheaton responding to the deficit.  Each team scored a questionable goal in the second half - Augie on a disputable penalty kick, and Wheaton on a disputable direct kick just outside the 18.  

I thought Augie dominated the OT, although shots were 2-2 in that time.  Augie had the only corner in OT and scored with about 1:30 left in the first OT.  Overall stats wise, the game was almost dead even, with shots in favor of Wheaton at 11-10, corners were even at 4-4 and saves were even at 3-3.

I've seen Wheaton play approximately 10 times in the last few years.  This was the first time I've seen them get rattled like any other team.  Wheaton received 3 yellows in the match, and I believe each of them was a response to the direct Augie pressure.  I saw a defender kick a ball over her own end line with a resulting corner kick when other options were available to her.  I can't remember seeing a Wheaton team do that in the past.  Even when they lost to Puget Sound earlier in the year, Wheaton controlled the game.  I think that UChicago and Augie showed that you can pressure Wheaton - they are not invincible.

That being said, I believe that Wheaton is still the benchmark in the CCIW.  They are a class program that every team should aim to copy.  This was only the 2nd time in history that Augie has beaten Wheaton.  I can't imagine the pressure that Wheaton plays with on a daily basis.  To be at the top for as long as they have, and to wear the bulls-eye on their back for every game has got to wear on the players.  They know that every game they are going to get their opponents' best shot, yet they roll on at or near the top. On the rare occasions that they do lose, they make no excuses.  I respect that.

Here is a link to the winning goal: http://www.augustana.edu/x16922.xml

DIIIdad

October 14, 2009

Augustana 3, Wheaton 2
Millikin 2, Carthage 1
Elmhurst 3, St. Mary's (Ind.) 1
North Central 3, North Park 1

Non-conference total is 54-18-4 (.7368)

2xfaux

Great win against a great team.  The passion of the celebration is what it is all about.  Don't tell anyone, but it brought tears to my eyes.  Isn't D3 soccer great!!    

jellybelly

Can anyone explain for me how a team gets a yellow card?  Just curious.  Kind of new to this, but haven't seen that before.