CCIW

Started by Fawkes316, July 10, 2006, 01:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Explorer

Quote from: mr_b on October 24, 2009, 09:44:22 PM
North Park defeated Mt. Mary College 20-0. Not a misprint.  The Vikings outshot the visitors 59-0.
Marking North Park as not only a 2nd tier program, but also as real jerks.  The box score shows one NP kid with 14 shots and 4 goals in a game where the other team only had 8 players (sub much?).  Maybe next week they can try to put 30 past the school for the blind.  Stay classy N-PU.

jellybelly

Surely there were ways to give the North Park Bench quality playing time without running up the score to this extent.  The stats show that the starters scored 13 of the 20 goals.  It must have been apparent almost immediately that this was a mismatch.  Why not put the bench in much earlier?  Why not require a certain number of passes before shooting?  Disappointing to see this kind of result.  Maybe North Park needs to rethink things.

DIIIdad

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 25, 2009, 01:20:44 AM
Judging from the 2008 tourney locale (Bloomington), I'm assuming this year's tourneys are at Elmhurst (who has already clinched the men's title).  IF Elmhurst holds on to be the women's #4, perhaps Augie's likely advantage is reduced a bit!

The regular season champion hosts the conference tournament so long as they remain alive.  In the first round on November 4th, #1 will host #4, and #2 will host #3.  The highest remaining seed will host the championship on November 7th. 

DIIIdad

October 25, 2009

North Central 16, Rockford 0
St. Benedict 2, Carthage 0

October 24, 2009

Wheaton 5, Millikin 1
Carthage 8, Finlandia 0
Augustana 1, Illinois Wesleyan 0

October 23, 2009

North Park 20, Mt. Mary 0

Non-conference total is 61-23-4 (.7159)

DIIIdad

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 24, 2009, 10:49:17 PM

In case there were still any doubters, Augie is for real: Augie 1, IWU 0.   

It was an exciting game on Saturday.  It was a defensive battle, and I believe a season low for both teams in terms of shots attempted.  IWU led in shots 7-3, with shots on goal being 3-2 in favor of IWU.  Fortunately for Augie, they scored on an incredible header with about 3 minutes to go in the first half.  That lone goal held up for the 1-0 Augie victory.

IWU had a similar play earlier in the first half, only to have the header barely go over the crossbar.  I would say that Augie played better against Wheaton, but that may be partly due to the quality of IWU.   I would love to see the IWU/Wheaton game later this week - it should be a battle, as they will likely play again in the conference tournament, and the winner will have home field advantage in that tournament game.  The Wheaton field and the IWU field could not be any more different, so home field in that game will be huge.

Augie still has 2 conference games against North Central and Elmhurst.  They need to run the table or the big wins against Wheaton and IWU will mean nothing. 

DIIIdad

North Park defeated Mt. Mary College 20-0. Not a misprint.  The Vikings outshot the visitors 59-0.

In a similar game, North Central beat Rockford 16-0, outshooting Rockford 49-1.  http://www.northcentralcardinals.com/custompages/WSOC/WSOC09/game16.htm

radchii

But if you look at the stats, North Central appears to have only played 8 against Rockford to even up the playing field, unlike North Park who played 11 v 8.

DIIIdad

Nice catch radchii, I didn't even notice that. 

I hope North Central only plays 8 against Augie on Wednesday.  ;D

WLCALUM83

Quote from: DIIIdad on October 26, 2009, 12:19:51 PM

In a similar game, North Central beat Rockford 16-0, outshooting Rockford 49-1.  http://www.northcentralcardinals.com/custompages/WSOC/WSOC09/game16.htm

Per NAthCon women's soccer standings link, Rockford cancelled the rest of its' season.

DIIIdad

I was just looking at the Rockford schedule, and saw that they actually played Mt. Mary early in the season.  Neither team could put 11 players on the field, but Mt. Mary won the game 6-1.  Rockford has 12 on their roster - perhaps they have injury issues.

Jim Matson

Congrats to Augie for their highest ranking ever at No. 10 in the new Top 25.  And although IWU falls in the polls, they are still looking good.

This is by far the strongest CCIW showing in women's soccer history.  It is good for the conference for Wheaton to be thought of as the third best ranked team.  Should the conference get three teams in (and they should), all three should have a strong shot at getting into the second round - or perhaps the third, depending on whether someone gets shipped out to Puget Sound, or down to Trinity.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

Mr. Ypsi

Oct 27

NPU 5, MSOE 0

Oct 28

Millikin 1, Elmhurst 0
Augie 1, NCC 0
Wheaton 4, IWU 0

With their win, Augie clinched first seed, and at least a share of the title

Final action Saturday:

3-3 Elmhurst @ 6-0 Augie
0-6 Carthage @ 4-2 IWU
1-5 NPU @ 3-3 Millikin

Barring a major upset somewhere, the tourney seeds would appear to be:

1. Augie
2. Wheaton
3. IWU
4. Millikin

Final regular season non-con record:

62-23-4 (.7191)

Mr. Ypsi

Actually, due to head-to-head tie-breaks, those four seeds are set in stone unless major upsets occur in both Rock Island AND Decatur (in which case Elmhurst is #4).

So it looks like Nov 4 will see IWU going to Wheaton, and Augie hosting Millikin.

DIIIdad

Final conference game tomorrow for Augie as they host Elmhurst.  I know they want to run the table, but I have a feeling Elmhurst is going to come out clawing for their lives.  The odds are certainly stacked against them; even a win against Augie will not be enough unless Millikin loses to North Park.  Augie just has a problem playing down to the level of their competition, and that won't take you very far - in the conference tournament or the NCAA tournament.

DIIIdad

Augie 4-1 over Elmhurst.  First conference championship for the program.  Millikin in first round on Wednesday.