MIAA chat

Started by Trailer Dog, July 19, 2006, 07:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Knight

Quote from: sflzman on November 12, 2010, 03:47:47 PM
Sad to see a 1-0 Calvin loss, at least the men are pulling through! Up 2-0 80+ minute

Yeah, too bad. The women had a close game against #3 Otterbein, though, as far as I can tell from the stats, and gave up a goal with less than 5 minutes left. I'm sure they're frustrated and disappointed, but they did well to play Otterbein so close.

The men's game felt closer than the score would suggest -- ONU had a potent attack in the first half that left Calvin's defense in disarray on a number of occasions. The second half was closer to being all Calvin.

sflzman

And, with that loss, it's not going to help my Scots get an at-large bid (although this year it truly was our  fault. Had we not lost ot WashU on that 60 yard goalie freekick that bounced 4 times, we would have a had a much better chance on getting that at-large)
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

Knight2Day

Not to sound like a broken record but the Knights outplayed Otterbein from start to finish in their game yesterday. I was in attendance and had Otterbein fans tell me that we deserved the W in that game. A lot of chances inside the 18 that the Knights just couldn't put away...It's too bad for that senior class but to anyone in attendance, they most certainly showed the class of the Knights soccer program. Congrats on a good season Calvin.

sflzman

Congrats to Prins on the 3rd team All-american in both NSCAA and d3soccer.com

It shows the complete disrespect for our conference that Prins is only 3rd team and Alma didn't even get taste of an All-American...

oldknight

Quote from: sflzman on January 10, 2011, 07:57:28 PM
Congrats to Prins on the 3rd team All-american in both NSCAA and d3soccer.com

It shows the complete disrespect for our conference that Prins is only 3rd team and Alma didn't even get taste of an All-American...

Congrats to Carly who is a wonderful soccer player and a teriffic young lady. Carly, a great all around athlete, was a pretty good high school basketball player who played with Hope's Carrie Snikkers and who shared a prep back court with Jill Flietstra, a first team All-Big Ten player at Michigan State. In her prep career Carly played in six state final games in two sports, winning the state championship four times.

Dark Knight

The new double-round-robin format for the MIAA season means that Calvin's schedule has only four non-MIAA teams on it, all at the beginning of the season. I assume other teams are about the same.

I don't like that at all. How will teams prepare for the national tournament and stay on the national radar with such a small number of non-MIAA games, all packed into the first nine days of the season?

sflzman

thats what i think too. it will hurt our SOS.

sflzman

Alma Tabbed To Repeat as MIAA Women's Soccer Champs
Last fall, Alma won its first MIAA championship in women's soccer in school history.
The Scots have been picked to repeat as champions in the MIAA this fall in the first-ever conference preseason women's soccer coaches poll. Alma received six of a possible nine first place votes in the poll, with defending MIAA tournament champion Calvin receiving the other three first-place tallies.

Calvin was picked to finish second, followed by Kalamazoo, Adrian, Hope, Olivet, Saint Mary's, Albion and Trine.

Poll Results (first-place votes in parenthesis): 1. Alma (6) 10 pts. 2. Calvin (3) 13. 3. Kalamazoo 22. 4. Adrian 34. 5. Hope 36. 6. Olivet 40. 7. Saint Mary's 53. 8. Albion 56. 9. Trine 60.

MIAA teams will begin non-conference action Thursday, Sept. 1, with the first conference games set for Wednesday, Sept. 14.

Dark Knight

The knights finally posted their roster. Maybe they didn't want anyone to know just how young the knights' squad is this year!

On a team of 22 there are two juniors and one senior.

The knights lost 6 seniors including league MVP Carly Prins. In addition, all-MIAA first-team freshman Liz Drennan transferred to U. of Illinois and about 5 sophomores and juniors from last year's team didn't return. All told 7 or 8 of the usual starters are not back. If I counted right, there are 8 players back who played in the majority of games last year.

I suspect there will be some serious learning going on for the first part of this season at least.

sflzman

This could be a "down" year for Calvin. Alma loses a lot too thought, with Jessica Swan graduating and Alli Meurer leaving. I think it'll be another battle for the top spot in the conference!

Knight2Day

Quote from: Dark Knight on August 31, 2011, 12:28:50 PM
The knights finally posted their roster. Maybe they didn't want anyone to know just how young the knights' squad is this year!

On a team of 22 there are two juniors and one senior.

The knights lost 6 seniors including league MVP Carly Prins. In addition, all-MIAA first-team freshman Liz Drennan transferred to U. of Illinois and about 5 sophomores and juniors from last year's team didn't return. All told 7 or 8 of the usual starters are not back. If I counted right, there are 8 players back who played in the majority of games last year.

I suspect there will be some serious learning going on for the first part of this season at least.

For as much as the Knights are going to miss Prins and Kellie Honderd, the losses of the returners from last years team are going to hurt them the most I believe. Either way, Coach Recker has done a fine job of building a program and does a quality job of recruiting the right talent. Let's h*pe that the success continues.....

sflzman

Calvin crushed in season opener against, WashU, 8-1.

Adrian Hope and Saint Mary's win season opener,

Kalamazoo and Trine lose.

Alma starts today at North Park

sflzman

Alma leads 1-0 in a lightning delay

sflzman

NSCAA/Adidas Poll has Alma at 31 (ORV catagory)

The Scots are 5th in the region, and Kalamazoo is 7th.

Calvin received no votes not surprisingly with the disapointing week they had.

sflzman

Calvin loses again by big numbers!

6-1 against Wheaton. Calvin has given up 18 goals in 3 games this season. They allowed 7 all of last year