MBB: USA South Conference

Started by CNU85, March 16, 2005, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Apparently Guilford finished ahead of Emory in the South rankings.  Didn't expect it, but it allows for some good matchups.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hasanova

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 25, 2019, 02:20:39 PM

Apparently Guilford finished ahead of Emory in the South rankings.  Didn't expect it, but it allows for some good matchups.
I guess geography allowed Wittenberg to be in this pod.  Less likely if in Atlanta rather than Greensboro.

scottiedoug

Then the committee fools us and sends Maryville to Marietta in a pod with teams that people have beaten this year...one can only hope!

hasanova

Announced today, Caleb Kimbrough is leaving Huntingdon to accept the HC position at Hampden-Sydney.

http://hscathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20190404ibpb8x

mattgrubb

The Placeres Era is starting at Murvul.  It will be weird not having the wise old owl on the sidelines but he has assured me that if Placeres loses 3 games before the Christmas break that there will be an immediate coaching change and the wise old owl will be back!  No extra pressure on Coach P but Murvul fans expect results.  Esteemed Alumni such as Kris Sigmund and Walden Buttram fully the support the 3 game rule placed on Coach P.  Buttram, a former teammate of Placeres, even tried to make it a 2 game rule.  There is incredible support from other esteemed Scots alums such as Chris Housewright, Montay Calloway, and even Brent Watts who fully support Coach P and are extremely excited about the new era of Murvul Men's Basketball.  When asked what he thought about Coach Plaerceres taking over, former Scot and two time all American Sidney Ellis responded with "Who?"  We will all get to see the new look Scots on November 5th against D1 MTSU in Murfreesboro. 

scottiedoug

Well Matt at least you are still alive.  I was wondering.

Caz Bombers

about halfway through the first half and Maryville is leading by 5...how about that.

mattgrubb

Scots down 6 at the half.  Pretty impressive for a bunch of freshmen.  3pt shooting is the great equalizer.  Scots are 4-6 from 3 and Middle is 4-13.  Scots need to shoot more 3s!!!!  Great showing through the 1st half but I can promise you Coach P didn't go to Murfreesboro for anything less than a win!

scottiedoug

Maryville Daily Times puts a positive spin on the eventual trouncing by DI MTSU. Coach P also quotes as positive.  What a lot of new players!  https://www.thedailytimes.com/sports/maryville-college-men-show-moxie-in-exhibition-loss-to-middle/article_adb997b2-cf23-5b57-bcf7-1f879bcfd566.html

bballlover

I guess Coach Placeres and The Scotts will just have to run the table til Christmas [ the three game rule and all ]. The real question is did any of you get to see Piedmont play? Hoping for a scouting report. Congrats to Coach Neeley and the Lions on two wins.

scottiedoug

I am sorry that I did not see Piedmont, especially after they beat Johnson. Coach P. will find some scorers among that crowd of freshmen (or it will be a more lengthy rebuild than we hope).

hasanova

Averett at Guilford originally scheduled for Tuesday has now been rescheduled for Wednesday, November 20 at 7 pm.  I do not know why.

mattgrubb

Yes, Coach P is on thin ice according to the wise old owl but P will slide by on his looks and winning personality as he always has.  Fortunately, the wise old owl has spent so much time on the golf course lately he doesn't remember a lot about basketball.  It was a tough weekend for MC but you have to start some where and fortunately for the Scots, there is only one way to go.....up.  They need scoring and scorers but they have a ton of talent and Coach P will develop them.  In 3 years the USA South won't be much fun unless you play for Murvul.
Piedmont looked GREAT!  I hope the big boy Joseph is ok b/c he took a big elbow to the head.  Coach Neely has a strong perimeter with a talented freshman PG and the Senior Riley at the two who can slide over to the PG.  PC also has depth and talent in the post.  PC looked like a complete team and executed in what looked like a tournament game against Johnson U.  PC had a great weekend.  Watch the webcast of the Piedmont/Johnson game if you want to witness awesomeness.
Like the SLIAC, there are only 3 games that count in the USA South and those are in the conference tournament.  You either win those games or you are not playing for a national title so what are you playing for..................

y_jack_lok

Quote from: mattgrubb on November 18, 2019, 08:58:20 PM
Like the SLIAC, there are only 3 games that count in the USA South and those are in the conference tournament.  You either win those games or you are not playing for a national title so what are you playing for..................

In the SLIAC only four teams make the tournament so only two games to win it all. But in many seasons the final day of regular season games determines which team (or sometimes two teams) get the 3/4 spots.