MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: AndOne on January 09, 2017, 05:55:04 PM
Wondering how often fans in any conference have seen very many 3 seconds in the lane calls despite the fact it happens consistently. Also, how often anyone sees the even less frequently called carrying/palming the ball even though it may occur mare frequently than 3 seconds. The latter infraction seems to be called so infrequently that the powers that be might as well remove it from the list of possible infractions.

I have seen all of these call consistently, though I wouldn't mind them called a few more times. The only time I don't see travel called is the one I mentioned earlier.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

markerickson

Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

Gregory Sager

Oh, I disagree. I think that Hamsters > Pretzels ... although Banana Slugs > Hamsters.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 10, 2017, 11:51:08 AM
Oh, I disagree. I think that Hamsters > Pretzels ... although Banana Slugs > Hamsters.

My personal favorite is the "Mighty Believers" from College of Faith (though they've since changed nicknames and I'm pretty sure the NCAA doesn't allow these games to count anymore). Sadly no amount of mighty belief will save you from the #6 team in D-III.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

Quote from: lmitzel on January 10, 2017, 12:01:04 PMSadly no amount of mighty belief will save you from the #6 team in D-III.

Why on earth would a Cards fan tout a blowout win over a team that doesn't even qualify for tomato-can status? I know that Mark and I have hashed this out on CCIW Chat before, but I don't think that bringing the likes of College of Faith, World Harvest, Valor Christian, and Illinois Tech (in the first season that the IIT program had been revived and was a D3 first-year provie) into North Central's tip-off tourney over the past decade is something to look back upon with pride.

Three years ago North Park was forced by a last-minute cancellation to bring Dayspring Bible into the crackerbox. The Vikings won by 54 points, none of the starters played more than 19 minutes, and all fifteen NPU players who suited up saw the floor -- and nobody said a word about the game for the rest of the year. It was played simply to ensure that the Vikings got in their allotted 25 regular-season games of basketball, as well as to give some of the guys at the end of the bench and the JV players the chance to get some statistical love. Tom Slyder would've given anything to have had a genuine D3 opponent to fill that late schedule hole. (Look at the lengths to which he's gone this season in a similar situation, first by getting Manchester to agree to a second game after the UW-LaCrosse cancellation, then by rescheduling it after the power went out on the Man U campus and forced a postponement back in mid-December.) And yet NCC's brought multiple versions of Dayspring Bible into the airplane hangar over the past ten Novembers.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that there's some wins that you just don't brag about.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Speaking of Illinois Tech, the Scarlet Hawks are crossing the border tonight to face Carthage in Tarble. Todd Kelly's crew has come a long way in three years, as the Hawks are 10-3 thus far this season (9-3 against D3 opponents), with one of those wins being a six-point victory in Santa Cruz over the Banana Slugs eleven days before UCSC thumped Wheaton in Sin City.

I don't expect the Scarlet Hawks to stay with Carthage for forty minutes, but I do expect the Red Men to at least have to break a sweat in order to win this one. Massey's calling it 83-71 in favor of Bosko's Boys, with Carthage the 87% favorite.

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 10, 2017, 01:37:49 PM
Quote from: lmitzel on January 10, 2017, 12:01:04 PMSadly no amount of mighty belief will save you from the #6 team in D-III.

Why on earth would a Cards fan tout a blowout win over a team that doesn't even qualify for tomato-can status? I know that Mark and I have hashed this out on CCIW Chat before, but I don't think that bringing the likes of College of Faith, World Harvest, Valor Christian, and Illinois Tech (in the first season that the IIT program had been revived and was a D3 first-year provie) into North Central's tip-off tourney over the past decade is something to look back upon with pride.

Three years ago North Park was forced by a last-minute cancellation to bring Dayspring Bible into the crackerbox. The Vikings won by 54 points, none of the starters played more than 19 minutes, and all fifteen NPU players who suited up saw the floor -- and nobody said a word about the game for the rest of the year. It was played simply to ensure that the Vikings got in their allotted 25 regular-season games of basketball, as well as to give some of the guys at the end of the bench and the JV players the chance to get some statistical love. Tom Slyder would've given anything to have had a genuine D3 opponent to fill that late schedule hole. (Look at the lengths to which he's gone this season in a similar situation, first by getting Manchester to agree to a second game after the UW-LaCrosse cancellation, then by rescheduling it after the power went out on the Man U campus and forced a postponement back in mid-December.) And yet NCC's brought multiple versions of Dayspring Bible into the airplane hangar over the past ten Novembers.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that there's some wins that you just don't brag about.

Here's the thing: it wasn't an NCC win. NCC didn't play them in that tournament; they were the sacrificial lamb to Hope. I felt bad for them, but it was just one of those games that I look back on in awe and wonder as something I won't see again. Which, like you said, is probably for the best. I'm sorry it came across as bragging; it certainly wasn't my intent, especially since I had no rooting interest.

That's the worst example of bringing in an also-ran to fill out a tournament as far back as I can remember in my NCC tenure, though bringing in Trinity International and teams of that ilk fit that mold as well. Considering we only had three teams in last year's tournament, maybe it's for the best we didn't host one this year. Alas.
#THREEEEEEEEE

sac

Gregory Sager

Quote from: lmitzel on January 10, 2017, 01:53:12 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 10, 2017, 01:37:49 PM

Here's the thing: it wasn't an NCC win. NCC didn't play them in that tournament; they were the sacrificial lamb to Hope. I felt bad for them, but it was just one of those games that I look back on in awe and wonder as something I won't see again. Which, like you said, is probably for the best. I'm sorry it came across as bragging; it certainly wasn't my intent, especially since I had no rooting interest.

That's true, and I should apologize for what in retrospect looks like an implication that it was North Central's win rather than Hope's. My beef was really with the fact that teams like the College of Faith kept getting invited to the NCC Tip-Off Tourney in the first place.

Quote from: lmitzel on January 10, 2017, 01:53:12 PMThat's the worst example of bringing in an also-ran to fill out a tournament as far back as I can remember in my NCC tenure, though bringing in Trinity International and teams of that ilk fit that mold as well. Considering we only had three teams in last year's tournament, maybe it's for the best we didn't host one this year. Alas.

My impression is that it's gotten harder over the years to consistently find three willing D3 visitors every season -- which is why it appears that a lot of schools are discontinuing their tournaments, or at least don't hold them every season anymore.

AppletonRocks

Quote from: sac on January 10, 2017, 02:42:14 PM
Quote from: markerickson on January 10, 2017, 11:26:52 AM
OT:  Amherst Lord Jeffs may become the Amherst Hamsters.

http://www.startribune.com/go-fight-hamsters-amherst-college-closes-in-on-new-mascot/410263835/

Almost as amusing as the Freeport (IL) Pretzels.

Lord Hamsters please.

As rodents go, Gerbils is another option to consider. 
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Gregory Sager

Now that this site is back up, I can report that Carthage (11-3) eked out a win over Illinois Tech (10-5) tonight in Tarble by a score of 81-79 on a pair of Kevin Kozil free throws with 3.9 seconds remaining. The Red Man blew what had been a 12-point lead with under ten minutes to go, as the Scarlet Hawks pulled even a couple of times in the final minute, but they never went ahead. Mike Stevenson led the way with 20 points and was joined in double figures by Jordan Thomas with 16 and Kienen Baltimore with 11, while Brad Kruse pulled down 10 rebounds. The win negated really fine performances by Whitney Young grad Anthony Moseley, Jr. (24 pts and 10 asts) and DePaul Prep grad Sam Rarick (22 pts and 8 rebs).

Titan Q

#22-Illinois Wesleyan (11-3, 3-2) at Augustana (10-3, 3-1), Wednesday 7:00pm...

Augustana (10-3, 3-1)
G - Nolan Ebel, 6-1 So.  10.8 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 3.9 apg
G - Chrishawn Orange, 6-2 So.  11.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 2.1 apg
G - Dylan Sortillo, 6-3 Jr.  14.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 2.2 apg
F - Jacob Johnston, 6-5 Sr.  13.5 ppg, 5.2 rpg
C - Micah Martin, 6-10 Fr.  2.7 ppg, 2.2 rpg

F - Pierson Wofford, 6-4 So.  9.5 ppg, 3.9 rpg
G - Brett Benning, 6-6 So.  8.0 ppg, 2.8 rpg
C - A.J. Dollmeyer, 6-8 Jr.  5.6 ppg, 2.8 rpg
G - Lucas Simon, 6-5 Fr.   1.9 ppg
F - Michael Hoekstra, 6-7 Sr.   1.4 ppg

#22-Illinois Wesleyan (11-3, 3-2)
G - Brady Rose, 6-3 Jr.  14.2 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 3.2 apg
G - Colin Bonnett, 6-4 So.  9.5 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.1 apg
G - Andy Stempel, 6-4 Sr.  12.2 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 2.9 apg
F - Alec Bausch, 6-6 Sr.  8.8 ppg, 5.7 rpg
C - Trevor Seibring, 6-8 Sr.  12.9 ppg, 5.9 rpg

G - Nick Coleman, 6-1 So. 8.1 ppg, 2.4 apg
F - Jaylen Beasley, 6-6 Jr.  5.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg
G - Austin Amann, 6-3 Sr.  4.1 ppg, 2.4 rpg
C - Tyler Burdine, 6-9 Jr.   2.1 ppg, 2.6 rpg
G - Miles Curry, 6-6 Fr.  2.0 ppg

Recent Articles:
     http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/iwu-faces-still-tough-augustana/article_fe054052-455c-5cec-b863-2fdf9f8d2caf.html

http://www.qconline.com/sports/college_sports/on-the-mend-augie-s-wofford-re-emerging-on-the/article_faca89c1-33ce-5049-b05f-a5b3ab220058.html

http://www.qconline.com/sports/college_sports/no-illinois-wesleyan-----cciw-at-no/article_46e422e6-7e22-53cd-8000-eb3210bfaf11.html

Live Video - https://portal.stretchinternet.com/augustana/

WJBC Radio - https://portal.stretchinternet.com/wjbc/

Live Stats - http://www.augustana.edu/athletics/mbasketball/xlive.htm

Massey - #9-Augustana 74  #13-Illinois Wesleyan 71 - http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cb2017&sub=11620

lmitzel

NCC men at Carroll tonight, first faceoff since the last time the Pioneers were a CCIW team as far as I can tell.

Also, I posted this in the women's board as well, but the Naperville Sun had a nice article about Jamie Cuny and Mayson Whipple. There's also a Connor Raridon update:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/naperville-sun/ct-nvs-basketball-north-central-notes-st-0111-20170110-story.html
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

Current Massey:

10. Augustana
  12. Illinois Wesleyan
  13. North Park
  25. Carthage
  49. North Central
  99. Wheaton
139. Carroll
141. Elmhurst
303. Millikin

Massey sez:

Elmhurst 75, @ Millikin 67 (EC 73%, MU 27%)
@ North Park 85, Wheaton 76 (NPU 79%, WC 21%)
North Central 70, @ Carroll 67 (NCC 61%, CU 39%)
@ Augustana 74, Illinois Wesleyan 71 (AC 58%, IWU 42%)