WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

No word on the condition of Liz Rehberger's knee. This is a cause of huge concern, obviously. Although the Vikings managed to keep the game close with her either sitting on the bench or at less than 100% on Saturday at NCC, I just don't see how North Park can compete without her tonight in Bloomington -- or on Saturday against Elmhurst or at any other future games, for that matter.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

This evening, I'll attend the Millikin at Elmhurst contest. This will be Millikin's third game in five days. Their bus (I assume) trips were to/from Waukesha on Saturday, St Louis on Monday and today's travels.
As we are now getting deep into conference play (not early anymore!), the Big Blue really needs a win to rejoin the midsection of the league.
At 2-2, a win by Elmhurst would solidify the 'jays' position of contending for the post season.
Carthage has the bye today. Their nonconf game vs Olivet (Mich.) has been replaced by one vs IIT on Feb 4.

iwu70

It will be interesting to see how Mia Smith manages the absence of Ehresman tonight.  I would guess Amanda Kelly plays point and the McGraw handles the ball on the perimeter a lot more than usual.  Lehockey and Shanks have to come up big, playing more minutes and the ball is going into the post, to Merritt more than usual.  More scoring from Sneider?  We'll see too on defense, on how much run and jump has a new alignment of players.  Ehresman was key to that as well, often making the steals after pressure applied.  Some pine-sitters really getting their chance now to shine, to play more minutes.  McGraw has to come up big.

IWU'70

iwu70

IWU putting a big beat-down on NPU at The Shirk.  IWU 50 NPU 22 at the half.  McGraw with 25 first half points.  Run and jump doing its dirt big time.  Both teams without key players.

IWU'70

iwu70

IWU over NPU 93-54. 

McGraw 33 in a little more than one half, 15-20 from the field, 2-4 from three. 
Schneider 14

Titans shooting it better now -- 48%, 43% from 3.  Forcing a ton of TOs. 

All 18 players dressed got to play, all 18.

Ehresman smiling and icing her ankle. :)  LOL

IWU'70

lmitzel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 11, 2017, 02:57:04 PM
No word on the condition of Liz Rehberger's knee. This is a cause of huge concern, obviously. Although the Vikings managed to keep the game close with her either sitting on the bench or at less than 100% on Saturday at NCC, I just don't see how North Park can compete without her tonight in Bloomington -- or on Saturday against Elmhurst or at any other future games, for that matter.

That would explain the 93-54 final there. I announced it at the end of the NCC-Augie game, and Mark Beinborn came over to make sure he heard me right.

Speaking of NCC-Augie, the Cardinals made a bunch of mistakes and fell behind early with their shots not falling, then exploded on a 19-2 run to turn a 20 point game into a one possession tilt. Sadly the Cardinals ran out of gas and lost 86-79. I'll post individual numbers in the morning when I recover from nearly killing myself during that aforementioned 19-2 run.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

Quote from: lmitzel on January 11, 2017, 10:12:09 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 11, 2017, 02:57:04 PM

That would explain the 93-54 final there. I announced it at the end of the NCC-Augie game, and Mark Beinborn came over to make sure he heard me right.

It wasn't just Liz Rehberger who didn't play tonight. Amani Davis, who is one of the best all-around players in the league -- she is among the top three in the league in assists and steals, among the top half-dozen in both rebounds and blocked shots (in spite of the fact that she's a PG), and she leads the league in a:to ratio by a country mile -- didn't play tonight. It's the first game that she's missed in her four-year career. I was told at halftime of the men's game tonight that Amani didn't practice yesterday, either, although my source was not sure of the details. I don't know why she was out tonight, but it's extremely worrisome. Without both Rehberger and Davis, the Vikings really aren't capable of beating anybody in this league except perhaps for Carroll, and that would be in doubt as well.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

After a close 1st quarter (Millikin 16, Elmhurst 14), the host Bluejays rolled to an 87-57 win. Elmhurst did just about everything as well as, or better than Millikin. The Big Blue's energy may have been dampened by having traveled a lot in recent days.
A major advantage for Elmhurst was their excellence from behind the arc : they hit 11 of 15 for 33 of their points. Kalia Summerlin led the way with 5-for-7.
Michaela Kumer was quite good overall, scoring 14 (4.5/7 eFG, 5/5 FT), along with 6 rebs, 5 assists, 2 blocks and a steal, plus good general defense.
Elmhurst moves into a tie for 4th with Carthage at 3-2.

lmitzel

Now that I'm sure I survived the near comeback attempt in North Central's 86-79 loss last night, here are some stats.

Kaycee Kallenberger of Augie had a monster night with 14 points, 18 rebounds, and seven blocks, Corrie Reiley scored 16, and Carly McCameron added 10 points for the Vikings. Shannon Ryan was perfect from the field, but only went 3-6 at the line to finish with 18 points. Siarra O'Neill scored 12 points, and Anita Sterling chipped in 10.

The free throw shooting problem showed up again too last night. NCC hit just 16 of 27 at the line last night, including an abysmal 5-12 in the third quarter. The Cardinals shot 13-42 from beyond the arc, but that 31 percent clip doesn't do justice to how the shots weren't falling until that crazy 19-2 run.
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

NCC's .310 3FG pct was actually their 3rd best of the season. The two higher rates were .457 vs Millikin and .347 vs Manchester.
I see that NCC shot an awful 29% on 2FGs. That and their crummy defensive rebounding seem to be bigger factors in their loss than a couple too many missed FTs.
lmitzel, did you notice anything wrong with Maya Walls? She played 1 minute.

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on January 12, 2017, 09:05:02 AM
NCC's .310 3FG pct was actually their 3rd best of the season. The two higher rates were .457 vs Millikin and .347 vs Manchester.
I see that NCC shot an awful 29% on 2FGs. That and their crummy defensive rebounding seem to be bigger factors in their loss than a couple too many missed FTs.
lmitzel, did you notice anything wrong with Maya Walls? She played 1 minute.

Of that 31 percent clip from deep though, most of the damage happened late. They were 7-30 from beyond the arc going into the fourth quarter, when they shot 6-12. I thought the percentage was a little misleading, to be honest.

Didn't notice anything wrong with Maya Walls, and thought that she'd played more than the one minute until I looked at the box again. I think the Cardinals wanted to go heavy with Jamie Cuny and Anita Sterling to combat Kallenberger, so maybe that had something to do with it? It doesn't explain why Kelly Wallner seemed to jump ahead of Walls on the depth chart (she played 4 minutes), though Wallner has improved her game this season a little bit. I don't know.

Definitely agree on the rebounding/2FG% things though too. Have to credit Kallenberger for wreaking havoc, but the Cardinals also took some pretty bad shots at times, and I lost count of how many times I was all but yelling about rebounding. That was part of what killed the late rally; Augie got about three or four chances counting fouls and offensive boards the possession after the Cardinals cut the lead to three.

I'm a stickler about the free throws though, and that combined with threes was what Michelle Roof was lamenting postgame. NCC made a mini run in the third quarter to cut Augie's lead to 7, but missed a bunch of free throws in that stretch that could have made it a totally different ball game. Maybe then the 19-2 run doesn't happen, but they also might not have needed the 19-2 run to try and win the game. When you miss 11 freebies and lose by seven...
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

Wheaton topped Carroll 73-43 in yesterday's other matchup. Carroll committed 24 turnovers, 2nd most by a Thunder opponent this season (Blackburn 27).
Fifteen Thunder(s) played and were topped scoring-wise by Chantal Meacham (20 pts via 10/14 eFG).

RogK

Road Wins minus Home Losses in conference play :
AUG +1 (2-1)
CRL -1 (0-1)
CTG -1 (0-1)
ELM -1 (1-2)
IWU +2 (2-0)
MIL -1 (1-2)
NCC even (2-2)
NPU -1 (0-1)
WHE +2 (2-0)

Gregory Sager

iwu70

Let's hope "the system" doesn't take hold more widely.  Surely leads to wider "participation" by players, but not to a better form of the game, IMHO.  NCC surely got the bug some years back, but has it really led to them dominating the league.  Not so much. It inflates stats for all, but does it truly gain more wins for NCC?   

IWU vs. Carthage this weekend.  Always a very good game.  I think Titans likely still without Ehresman, but playing well, making the best of the other players getting extra minutes.  Lehocky, Schneider, Kelly, Shanks, all playing well, in support of the truly remarkable season McGraw is putting up.  Sure would like to have Rebekah back soon.  (Trevor Seibring too!).

Have a good weekend all -- hope the ice storm passes Central IL. by.

IWU'70