WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoPerry

Quote from: Roundball999 on January 17, 2017, 11:31:39 AM
Quote from: GoPerry on January 17, 2017, 09:33:25 AM
And honestly, I'm not convinced the W over Trine is that significant despite Trine's record. 

I think you can feel pretty good about the win over Trine, they're legit.  19-8 last year with two wins over Calvin and they returned all five starters this year, two 2nd team all-league players including a strong 6'2" post.  Added four transfers and have a win over Calvin already this year.  Hosting Hope tomorrow night, should either cement their top 25 credentials or drop them out.  I'm picking them for a narrow victory over Hope.

Ok good, thanks.  I was only noticing that Trine has only played 3 games vs teams with winning records; loss to Wheaton; win vs Calvin(13-2), win vs Albion(11-4).  If they beat Hope tomorrow, I'll be that much more convinced.

iwu70

GoPerry, I know IWU's SOS is good, but I truly have no idea where it actually ranks compared to others.  I just know that Mia always loads up the pre-CCIW portion with good opponents, strong competition.   This year it led to 4 losses.  Hence, my discussion earlier about where the Titans might be on Selection Sunday.

Key game for IWU this week at Augie.  We know IWU is playing well, so this is more a test of how strong, how far the AC program has come from recent down years.  They look very good to me.  I'm just happy how well the Titans are playing all the way through the rotation, even to the 9th or 10th player.  Mia is subbing a lot, getting quite a range of players PT and having a range of options to use given what the opponent is doing, has on the floor.  It's not 15 like the NCC "system" but it still has a lot of players involved.  I guess you need to do that to implement "run and jump" a good portion of the time. 

IWU'70

lmitzel

Quote from: iwu70 on January 17, 2017, 08:03:51 PM
GoPerry, I know IWU's SOS is good, but I truly have no idea where it actually ranks compared to others.  I just know that Mia always loads up the pre-CCIW portion with good opponents, strong competition.   This year it led to 4 losses.  Hence, my discussion earlier about where the Titans might be on Selection Sunday.

According to D3Hoops, Illinois Wesleyan has the #1 strength of schedule in the country. It's a good sign, but it's not the end-all, be-all; I'd put regional rankings ahead of strength of schedule, and five losses to date is going to make it tough for a Pool C bid. I'm betting the CCIW only gets one team in this year.

Because I was curious, here's the rest of the CCIW:

Wheaton- 10th
Carroll- 42nd
NCC- 44th
Carthage- 81st
Augie- 113th
Millikin- 196th
Elmhurst- 223rd
North Park- 249th
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

RogK

This week's action will complete half of the 16-game conference schedule. By the end of Saturday, everyone will have played each opponent once.
As we noted earlier, some home/road imbalance will exist after 8 games. Augustana and Elmhurst will have only 3 home games in the 2nd round of conf play, while Millikin and Wesleyan have 5 conf home games to look forward to.
This evening's slate : IWU at AUG (inconsequential game, nobody cares), ELM at CRL, CTG at NCC, WHE at NPU. Millikin is idle, but is going on a circuitous 5 hour bus ride.

lmitzel

Quote from: RogK on January 18, 2017, 11:37:57 AM
This week's action will complete half of the 16-game conference schedule. By the end of Saturday, everyone will have played each opponent once.
As we noted earlier, some home/road imbalance will exist after 8 games. Augustana and Elmhurst will have only 3 home games in the 2nd round of conf play, while Millikin and Wesleyan have 5 conf home games to look forward to.
This evening's slate : IWU at AUG (inconsequential game, nobody cares), ELM at CRL, CTG at NCC, WHE at NPU. Millikin is idle, but is going on a circuitous 5 hour bus ride.

The one in bold is a critical one for both teams; both the Lady Reds and the Cardinals are sitting at 3-3, a game out of the fourth tournament spot. NCC needs all the help it can get with those three losses coming to the top three teams in the conference (though moral victories don't count for much, the fact that those three losses have only come by a combined 17 points is somewhat reassuring).
#THREEEEEEEEE

iwu70

Imitzel, thanks for the details on SOS.  Very interesting indeed. 

Augie over IWU by one after the first quarter.  A good even game so far.

IWU'70

iwu70

lmitzel

NCC struggling mightily from deep, Carthage thriving and up 45-37 at the break.

Greg, what the hell is wrong with North Park tonight? Only 2 points in the first quarter?
#THREEEEEEEEE

iwu70

Well, pretty much Augie's night, leading the Titans by 8-15 points most of the game, after the middle of the second Q.  Titans made a run in the 4th, got within 5 but couldn't get over the hump.  AC played very well, bringing pressure, surely out rebounding the Titans tonight.  No LiveStats, so I don't have much detail.  Seems IWU was in some foul trouble, but I'm not really sure. 

Final was AC 83 Titans 73.  Augie in a very good position now to contend for the CCIW crown.  Augie for real, surely so much improved over editions of recent seasons. 

Titans go to 10-6, 5-2. 

More when we have the box score.

IWU'70

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: lmitzel on January 18, 2017, 11:11:39 AM
Quote from: iwu70 on January 17, 2017, 08:03:51 PM

According to D3Hoops, Illinois Wesleyan has the #1 strength of schedule in the country. It's a good sign, but it's not the end-all, be-all; I'd put regional rankings ahead of strength of schedule, and five losses to date is going to make it tough for a Pool C bid. I'm betting the CCIW only gets one team in this year.

Because I was curious, here's the rest of the CCIW:

Wheaton- 10th
Carroll- 42nd
NCC- 44th
Carthage- 81st
Augie- 113th
Millikin- 196th
Elmhurst- 223rd
North Park- 249th

Remember, the SOS is part of the criteria that determines the regional rankings. Just having the best SOS won't put a team #1 in the regional rankings just as the top team in the region may not have the best SOS. However, SOS is used to determine those rankings (along with WL%, results versus regionally ranked opponents, and other criteria).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

iwu70

Here's more now, after seeing the box score:

AC 83 IWU 73

McGraw 24
Ehresman back to her normal minutes (33) with 16 and 11, 3 assists no TOs.
Merritt 13
Anderson 13

Augie had good balance with four players in double figures.

Key was a 52-45 advantage in rebounding, and the Titans not getting their normal large differential / advantage in TOs.  Augie's pressure was effective tonight.  Augie shot a better %, esp. in the second half.  Titans did have a number of players in foul trouble.

Congrats to Augie on a big win for their fast-improving program.   A redo coming at the Shirk very soon.

Titans now 10-6, 5-2, still in the race for the CCIW crown and for a CCIW tournament slot.  WC and AC in the lead now with only one loss. 

IWU'70

GoPerry

Wheaton +3
Ill Wesleyan +2
Augustana, Elmhurst +1
North Central  E
Carthage  -1

It was more important for Augie to hold serve tonight than it was for the Titans to get a road win.  Looking at the 9 games remaining and specifically the road games:

Wheaton: @Carthage, @ North Central, @ Millikin, @ Carroll
Augustana:   @ Millikin, @ILL Wes, @ Carthage, @Wheaton, @ Carroll, @ North Park
Elmhurst: @Augie, @ Wheaton, @ ILL Wes, @ North Central @ Millikin
IWU:  @ Carroll @ North Park @Carthage @ Wheaton
NCC: @ Elmhurst, @ Carthage, @North Park, @Ill Wes, @ Augie
Carthage:  @ Wheaton, @ Elmhurst , @North Park, @Millkin, @ Carroll

I would say that Wheaton and IWU have the most favorable road schedule ahead.   Elmhurst and NCC clearly have the roughest stretch remaining.  Augie no pushover either.  So even though IWU is a game out of 1st, one could argue they are really right there as the +/- standings indicate.  Gotta take care of biz at home of course.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: lmitzel on January 18, 2017, 08:48:38 PM
Greg, what the hell is wrong with North Park tonight? Only 2 points in the first quarter?

Aside from a couple of players, tonight NPU looked like a team that's just mentally shut down and is going through the motions. That takes nothing away from a Wheaton team that is talented, deep, and executes like clockwork. The Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance would've won handily no matter how the Vikings played tonight, as they knew exactly how to exploit NPU's various weaknesses at either end of the floor. But the Vikings simply showed no energy tonight. As I said on the air, if a coach has to waste time imploring her or his team to rev up their energy level, then that's that much less time that they have to actually coach the game itself. I don't know what Amanda Crockett is supposed to do at this point. She may have lost her team; I've occasionally seen squads dominated by seniors tune out their coach and just ride it out to the finish line. I sure hope that that's not happening to the Park.

The good news is that the Vikes have a bye on Saturday, so they've got a full week to get their heads together.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

Saw NCC edge Carthage 87-82 in a well-played game. Carthage probably wasn't happy committing 24 TOs, but that figure wasn't outlandish.
Good effort and contributions one way or another by all who played for either team.
Two different Lady Reds had a dozen rebounds : Monica Masini who added 20 pts, Rachel Szydlowski who added 4 blocks and 14 pts. Madie Kaelber had 16 pts, 5 assists and 3 stls. Morgan Harris had 9 assists, but appears to have a troublesome knee. I was hoping to see something along the lines of her 38 point season-opening barrage, but saw a gutty effort nevertheless.
This was my first look at Carthage this season. They have quite a promising group of freshmen to go along with their established talent. A bunch of NCC's freshmen are looking good as well.
For the Cardinals, Jamie Cuny had a very productive 17 min : 16 pts, 8 rebs, 2 stls and 6 blocks. Jessica Dahle scored 14 in 13 min. Anita Sterling had 4 steals and 7 rebs.

RogK

Not sure if Augie needed any confidence-building, but that win over a strong IWU team would do it.
Elmhurst thumped Carroll 90-49. Mikaela Eppard had 27 pts and 10 rebs in 21 min; she made 13/15 FG incl a three. Erika Johnson led the 'jays with 5 assists.
Brittney Wald had 17 pts and 3 steals for the Pioneers.