CCIW

Started by Mr. Ypsi, September 04, 2009, 08:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

That's a great hire by NCC.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ejay

They hired David Draiman from Disturbed?

CardinalAlum

Quote from: EB2319 on February 04, 2019, 03:06:06 PM
They hired David Draiman from Disturbed?

Funny.  That's who I thought of as well!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

CardinalAlum

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 04, 2019, 02:55:37 PM
That's a great hire by NCC.

What makes this a great hire? 
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

Gregory Sager

In his seven years running the UWP program, Fuschino had a record of 84-51-17 (.595). He took the Pioneers to the D3 tourney three times in those seven seasons, reaching the Sweet Sixteen in 2012 and the second round in each of the past two seasons. In other words, he's a proven winner on this level who has recruited extensively in the Chicagoland suburbs for years.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

casualfan

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 05, 2019, 12:59:50 AM
In his seven years running the UWP program, Fuschino had a record of 84-51-17 (.595). He took the Pioneers to the D3 tourney three times in those seven seasons, reaching the Sweet Sixteen in 2012 and the second round in each of the past two seasons. In other words, he's a proven winner on this level who has recruited extensively in the Chicagoland suburbs for years.

Actually, he's been there since 2007 with an overall record of 116-75-19, 11-16-2 in the now defunct WIAC.

Enzo is a great guy who I imagine will do well for NCC. He always coached high school boys teams for Madison 56ers which led to a handful of recruits year after year. I wonder which Naperville area club will pick him up.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: casualfan on February 05, 2019, 10:34:54 AM

Actually, he's been there since 2007 with an overall record of 116-75-19, 11-16-2 in the now defunct WIAC.

Wasn't he the UWP women's coach between 2007 and 2011?

soccer1234

His UWP teams also played a similar direct and physical style to what NCC had been playing under Klosterman but with a higher level of skill which should bode well for the transition. If he is able to bring his Wisconsin recruiting pipeline to Illinois and continue to heavily recruit from the Naperville area, NCC could be in position to take a leap closer to the top of the CCIW.       

casualfan

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 05, 2019, 03:18:23 PM
Quote from: casualfan on February 05, 2019, 10:34:54 AM

Wasn't he the UWP women's coach between 2007 and 2011?

I believe he was coach for both genders initially. But I know for certain that he'd been with the men since 2007.

Gregory Sager

Got it.

I'm surprised that a school had someone running both the men's and the women's programs well into this decade. And I especially wouldn't have expected it of a WIAC school, although I realize that the sport of soccer has been the red-headed stepchild of the WIAC.

casualfan

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 06, 2019, 02:36:59 PM
Got it.

I'm surprised that a school had someone running both the men's and the women's programs well into this decade. And I especially wouldn't have expected it of a WIAC school, although I realize that the sport of soccer has been the red-headed stepchild of the WIAC.

Greg Henschel led both programs at UW-Whitewater until the 2012 season when he moved on to UW-Milwaukee women. The Warhawks split the positions that year hiring Tony Guinn for the men and Ryan Quamme for the women.

Suprisingly enough, Platteville and Whitewater are the only WIAC Men's Soccer teams competing. After UW-Oshkosh cut the program and UW-Superior left for the UMAC, only two remain. It would be quite interested to see what type of conference the WIAC would be on the men's side if Lacrosse, Stevens Point, Eau Claire, Stevens Point, River Falls, and Oshkosh all had programs.

Gregory Sager

Yes, that's why I called the sport the red-headed stepchild of the WIAC.

Flying Weasel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 05, 2018, 01:26:29 PM
Well, North Park didn't make it. I'm extremely disappointed, but I have no complaints. The Vikings knew what they needed to do, which was to win on Saturday and avoid the bubble, and in spite of dominating the match against Carthage they didn't get it accomplished. It is what it is. NPU's SoS just wasn't high enough to get the Vikings on firm ground for a Pool C.

North Park Men's Soccer - 2019 Schedule
Sep 4 (Wed)  (A)  Albion
Sep 7 (Sat)  (A)  Chicago
Sep 8 (Sun)  (H)  Dominican
Sep 10 (Tue)  (H)  Aurora
Sep 15 (Sun)  (H)  Rowan
Sep 18 (Wed)  (H)  Illinois Tech
Sep 21 (Sat)  (A)  Kalamazoo
Sep 25 (Wed)  (A)  Hope
Sep 28 (Sat)  (H)  Augustana
Sep 30 (Mon)  (H)  Carroll
Oct 1 (Tue)  (H)  Dubuque
Oct 5 (Sat)  (A)  Millikin
Oct 9 (Wed)  (A)  Carthage
Oct 12 (Sat)  (H)  Illinois Wesleyan
Oct 16 (Wed)  (A)  Elmhurst
Oct 23 (Wed)  (H)  UW-Whitewater
Oct 26 (Sat)  (H)  North Central
Nov 2 (Sat)  (A)  Wheaton  (Ill.)

Non-Conference Schedule:
Retained: Chicago, Dubuque, UW-Whitewater, Dominican, Kalamazoo, Aurora, Albion, Illinois Tech
Dropped:  Thomas More
Added:  Rowan, Hope

So, North Park's schedule is over 90% unchanged, but adding Rowan and Hope against losing Thomas More is a boost.  There's no way to know how their opponents will fair in the new season, but they should see their SOS bump up a bit an maybe insure them against being passed over for an at-large berth if they'd stumble in the CCIW tournament like last year.  Obviously they'll be looking to win the CCIW automatic berth and will be the favorites.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Flying Weasel on May 11, 2019, 08:58:04 AM
North Park Men's Soccer - 2019 Schedule
Sep 4 (Wed)  (A)  Albion
Sep 7 (Sat)  (A)  Chicago
Sep 8 (Sun)  (H)  Dominican
Sep 10 (Tue)  (H)  Aurora
Sep 15 (Sun)  (H)  Rowan
Sep 18 (Wed)  (H)  Illinois Tech
Sep 21 (Sat)  (A)  Kalamazoo
Sep 25 (Wed)  (A)  Hope
Sep 28 (Sat)  (H)  Augustana
Sep 30 (Mon)  (H)  Carroll
Oct 1 (Tue)  (H)  Dubuque
Oct 5 (Sat)  (A)  Millikin
Oct 9 (Wed)  (A)  Carthage
Oct 12 (Sat)  (H)  Illinois Wesleyan
Oct 16 (Wed)  (A)  Elmhurst
Oct 23 (Wed)  (H)  UW-Whitewater
Oct 26 (Sat)  (H)  North Central
Nov 2 (Sat)  (A)  Wheaton  (Ill.)

Non-Conference Schedule:
Retained: Chicago, Dubuque, UW-Whitewater, Dominican, Kalamazoo, Aurora, Albion, Illinois Tech
Dropped:  Thomas More
Added:  Rowan, Hope

So, North Park's schedule is over 90% unchanged, but adding Rowan and Hope against losing Thomas More is a boost.  There's no way to know how their opponents will fair in the new season, but they should see their SOS bump up a bit an maybe insure them against being passed over for an at-large berth if they'd stumble in the CCIW tournament like last year.

Yep. That was the whole point of adding Hope -- the squad that blocked NPU from getting to the table on Selection Day last year -- and it turned out to be a great bonus that Rowan was planning to journey to the midwest next September, for whatever reason (I cannot recall any NJAC team in any sport ever visiting Chicagoland before).

John Born's scheduling flexibility is limited. UWW vs. NPU is a trophy match, so the Warhawks are always going to stay on the schedule. Chicago and Dominican are the two top non-CCIW programs in the area, and have been for awhile now, so they're always going to stay on the sked, too. Aurora typically finishes on the plus side of .500, making the Spartans a useful local opponent for SoS purposes. Dubuque, Kalamazoo, Albion, and Illinois Tech are two-year contracts, so John was locked into playing each of them a second time.

Ideally, I think he'd like to play Benedictine every year as well, since, like Aurora, the Bennies are a local program that's always north of the break-even mark by the end of the season. But BU's abortive switch to D2 probably pre-empted a lot of non-conference scheduling against Benedictine in various sports over the past couple of years.

Quote from: Flying Weasel on May 11, 2019, 08:58:04 AMObviously they'll be looking to win the CCIW automatic berth and will be the favorites.

I haven't had a chance to speak at length with any of the members of the North Park coaching staff over the past few months, but, considering what they have coming back, and if what I've heard from other members of the NPU athletic department staff about new additions to the roster is true, 2019 could be a pretty spectacular season for the Vikings.

Gregory Sager

Big news at North Park today, as the successor to retiring AD Jack Surridge has been named. It's John Born, who currently serves as the head coach of the NPU men's soccer program and as an assistant professor in the North Park School of Business and Nonprofit Management, where he runs NPU's Sport Management curriculum and major.

He's going to hold a new position, assistant vice president of athletics and sport management, which will combine his current academic duties with that of the role of athletic director. I'm not sure if this a cabinet-level position or not, although the words "vice president" seem to indicate that, and there's nothing in the press release that indicates to whom he would answer in the organizational chart aside from NPU President Mary Surridge. Given that he will have additional responsibilities aside from running the athletic department, my guess is that more of the paperwork and game-management oversight will be taken on by the associate athletic directors.

The big question is who will run the NPU men's soccer program, which is by far the most successful program in the athletic department and the only one that's currently enjoying any national success. The obvious answer is that associate head coach Kris Grahn, a former CCIW Player of the Year and All-American, will take over the reins of the program from John. This would make sense, as John's clearly been grooming Kris to be his successor; Kris is heavily involved in every aspect of the program, particularly recruiting. The prowess of the program should continue unabated with Kris running it.

Jack Surridge is going to stay on the NPU payroll as Strategic Enrollment Management Advisor, which means that he'll probably be working as something of an aide to his wife, the school's president.