MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinseeking1

Bates gets another road win, this time at Bowdoin, to start their NESCAC season at 2-0 for the first time since 2006. The game was tight until midway through the second half, when the Polar Bears built a 9 point edge. Then, Bates' coach Jon Furbush brought FY Tom Coyne back into the game. And what a difference he made!

Coyne proceeded to single handedly erase the deficit with a deep three and two old fashioned 3-point plays. Then, a couple of clutch free throws by Marcus Delpeche put the Bobcats ahead for good.

This year's NESCAC schedule gives Bates 6 home games, so a couple of road wins to start the league season gives the Bobcats a CBB title and a lot of hope to start league play.

Conts Fan

I'm cautiously optimistic about Hamilton this year. Couple of nice home wins to start the league schedule. It will be interesting to see how the young team does as the season progresses and they go up against Amherst, Midd, Tufts, etc. Regardless, the near future appears to be bright.

Bucket

Quote from: Conts Fan on January 07, 2017, 10:24:24 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic about Hamilton this year. Couple of nice home wins to start the league schedule. It will be interesting to see how the young team does as the season progresses and they go up against Amherst, Midd, Tufts, etc. Regardless, the near future appears to be bright.

You should be optimistic—great couple of wins to start the season for Hamilton.  Very impressed with the results for the Continentals this weekend.

grabtherim

This weekend did nothing to change my mind that there are several teams who can end up on top when all is said and done.  Midd seems to be hitting their stride while a bit shorthanded and is one blown double digit lead away from an undefeated season.  I'm not sure what the story is with Baines, radio silence out of Middlebury.  No word on when or if we will see him in a Panther uniform again.  Classes start soon, maybe we'll know more then.  That said, basketball aside, here's hoping all is OK with him.  Sometimes it's easy to forget we are dealing with kids who are becoming young men. 

NEhoops

Impressive weekend for Tufts and Bates, both going 2-0 on the road. Always tough to win away from home in the league play.

It will be a battle of the unbeatens as MID/HAM travel to TUF/BAT next weekend. Great opportunity for a few teams to really separate themselves early in the conference season.

Somewhat surprised in regard to the weekend for Wesleyan. Their defense (gave up 87.5 ppg) and shooting (34.9% from the field) was very poor. They're back at home this weekend, but its doesn't get any easier as they'll host AMH/TRI.

jumpshot

EPHs up by 1 at the half versus Trinity while allowing 6 layups and 8 offensive rebounds in failing to protect the rim without conventional center of previous years. key game for each team ....

jumpshot

EPHs give away a close game in final minutes with turnovers and missed free throws. Good win for Trinity that controlled the tempo and much of the play throughout.

nescac1

Well, the Ephs lose a game that they richly deserved to lose.  One of the more frustrating games in Williams memory.  Trinity got to every loose ball, every single one, and just murdered the Ephs on the offensive boards (18-5), including two critical rebounds (one off a foul shot) in the last minute.  Trinity just fought harder all day, especially Ogundeko, who was ferocious with 23 boards, 8 on the offensive glass.

Bobby Casey had a great game for Williams, with 21 points, 4 boards, 2 assists, 1 block and 1 steal.  Matt Karpowicz was excellent with 10 points in only 8 minutes off the bench -- odd that he did not play more.  It was a game to forget for the rest of the team. 

Ephs in a big hole 0-2 in conference both at home, after such a strong start to the season in non-conference play.  Discouraging weekend but hopefully the Ephs will learn from this and improve. 

The Ephs' outside shooting woes continues but that wouldn't have mattered if Williams had won half the 50-50 balls and kept Trinity off the glass.  Alas ...

Brownee

I am a newbie to NESCAC collegiate ball and the Midd panthers. The panthers are one of the best "run n gun" teams I've seen in a long time. Coaches are beginning to understand just how deadly that full court push is and wisely are using all their tools to slow them down, including strategic subbing. Against Wesleyan Midd made it look easy to shut down the bigs  under the hoop, the ups of Tarantino coupled with the wing span of Folger is a formidable force protecting the hoop on the defensive end. When the entire team gets early touches you can believe the panthers will perform well on the offensive end. The front court is deep enough to make sure the guards keep their legs for the sprint to the finish, they just don't stop coming at you. When all else fails their is Jack, he can slay the giant! Can't wait to see more of Midd, they just keep getting better.

P'bearfan

Bowdoin suffered a heart-breaking loss to Bates yesterday, 59-64.

It was heart-breaking because this was easily the best defensive effort Bowdoin has had all year and you hate to come up short when you have given that type of effort.  Also on top of all that, it was....you know....Bates.  Overall the Polar Bears played great help defense.    On offense they moved the ball well and continued to attack in the paint.  Their shooting wasn't great but this time that was due mainly to some strong pressure defense from Bates.

Bates is the type of team that is a tough match up for Bowdoin b/c of their size inside - and we almost had them.  Hopefully Bowdoin keeps building on the great team play and the W's will follow.

GoUBears!!

amh63

It's Monday...the last day of College Football.  Now attention should turn to college basketball..apologies to hockey fans, etc.
Did watch some D1 MBB...UNC crushing NCState, some Purple and White games as in Northwestern and UWashington.  Also watched a bit of Bucket's team, the Un. Of Virginia.  Do want to catch a game in the new venue at Charlottesville.  Lots of box seats in JPJ.  Have seen games in a number of ACC schools...sort of a bucket list thing.  Trying to see the "latest" trend, if any in offenses.
Cont Fan....welcome to the board!  Yes, it is nice to hear from a Hamilton fan.  For many of the CAC schools, the long trip to Clinton can be a "backbreaker" one.  To use a Clemson  football analogy, Welcome to Death Valley.  I have overlooked the wear and tear of the long trips on the Hamilton team to other CAC schools.  Amherst has had many tough games at Hamilton.
Bucket has been quiet on this board.  Is this a "professional conflict" sort of thing?   
Yes, Amherst's next game is on Friday.  Two road games to play two solid teams.  Did notice that Conn College coaching staff has set a new trend in dress.  Matching tieless causal outfits. 
Road games are conference counting ones.  Wes did crush Amherst at home last season in the non conference game.  Looking forward to see how Coach Hixon rotates his players.  To steal a phrase from Brownee...welcome to the board..." strategic subbing" maybe in order.

[just correcting an unfortunate typo/pc]

Titan Q

Quote from: grabtherim on January 08, 2017, 08:39:33 AM
I'm not sure what the story is with Baines, radio silence out of Middlebury.  No word on when or if we will see him in a Panther uniform again.  Classes start soon, maybe we'll know more then.  That said, basketball aside, here's hoping all is OK with him.  Sometimes it's easy to forget we are dealing with kids who are becoming young men.

Transferred to D3 Occidental in L.A.

http://www.oxyathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/roster

middhoops

Umm, wow.
Didn't see that coming.
I can only wish Zach the best.  He is an admirable young man.

P'bearfan

Bowdoin bounced back last night with a strong win over UM Presq Isle: 70-48.

Unfortunately there was no webcast even though the game was played in Brunswick so I had to follow the live stats.  As a result it's hard to give an overall impression other than to say that Bowdoin seemed to lock in on both offense and defense in the 2nd half to pull away from UMPI.

Bowdoin had 4 players in double digits as FY David Reynolds led the way with 16 points.  Reynolds got his first start at Bowdoin as Blake Gordon was out of the lineup trying to shake an illness.  Hugh O'Neill and Jack Simonds added 12 points each; Tim Ahn had 11 points, 9 assists and 3 steals; Neil Fuller added 6 points, 9 rebounds, and a block.  Also want to recognize Richard McAllister who came off the bench to add 5 points and 4 rebounds in just 10 minutes of play.  One final stat - Bowdoin had 9 steals in this game - that seems high but I'll have to check the stats later.

Looking forward to the Williams game this Saturday.  I"ll be traveling up to Brunswick to watch in person.

GoUBears!!

grabtherim

I note that Baines is on Occidental's roster.  Looking for someone who knows the transfer rules to enlighten us on whether he or anyone in his position is eligible to play immediately or is there a requirement to sit out for a period of time?  Are the D3 transfer rules any different from those at D1 and/or D2?