MBB: City University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by dave brown, September 23, 2004, 11:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodes Scholar

Baruch looked good in their 74-66 road victory over York yesterday. Both teams were undefeated in conference play (4-0) heading into last night's contest. The game was very close until about midway through the second half when Baruch began to open up some breathing room. Louie Karis and Robi Davidson were the high scorers for the Bearcats. Jeffery Boone led the way for York.

Baruch is probably the team to beat in CUNY this year. They have some good athletes, some good shooters, a decent bench and are well-coached. Karis could be the best player in the conference and George Kunkel might be the best freshman.

York's top players are Boone, Shayne Smith, Rey Mohamed and Kwesi Liverpool. The Cardinals are athletic and aggressive, but they're a little undersized and not that deep.

Rhodes Scholar

Last night I saw Baruch remain undefeated in conference play with a 75-56 home court victory over New York City Tech. Baruch led all the way and the game was never in doubt. Louie Karis and Robi Davidson were the high scorers for the victors.

NYC Tech is struggling this year. They have quickness and athleticism, but they're very small and have little depth. Their top player is Otis Saylee, who is one of the better players in the conference although he's playing out of position at small forward. Another bright spot is freshman guard Jamaal Hall, a very versatile and talented player who has the potential to be an all-conference performer.

Rhodes Scholar

I didn't see the game, but Baruch beat Staten Island 80-62 last night. The Bearcats are 7-0 in conference play and 15-3 overall. Two of their three defeats were against D2 opponents. Their lone D3 loss was to Kings Point. Next up for Baruch is Medgar Evers, followed by a nonconference matchup against William Paterson, which will be the best D3 team Baruch will face this year in the regular season.

Knightstalker

How do you think Baruch will match up against that WPU defense.  does Baruch have players that can break the press?

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Rhodes Scholar

Quote from: knightstalker on January 19, 2006, 12:11:36 PM
How do you think Baruch will match up against that WPU defense.  does Baruch have players that can break the press?

It will be interesting to see how Baruch handles WPU's aggressive defense. The Pioneers completely shut down CCNY earlier in the season. Baruch is quicker and more athletic this year than they have been in the past. They have a couple of very quick guards and some very good three-point shooters on the wings. Plus they have a lot of experience and good chemistry. Nonetheless, WPU is the clear favorite.

JDub

WOW! Baruch beat WPU can't call it an upset because I think Baruch is just as good as WPU and they showed it, at one point they was up 18 against a very good WPU team. Baruch played hard from beginning to the end big win.

Rhodes Scholar

Quote from: JDub on January 24, 2006, 11:07:44 AM
WOW! Baruch beat WPU can't call it an upset because I think Baruch is just as good as WPU and they showed it, at one point they was up 18 against a very good WPU team. Baruch played hard from beginning to the end big win.

I'd have to say that WPU was the favorite going into the game, but Baruch demonstrated that they not only could play with a top NJAC team, but actually beat one. This doesn't happen too often. This Baruch team may be the best CUNYAC team since the 1998 Hunter team.

Rhodes Scholar

A few observations:

Baruch (8-0) is clearly the class of the CUNYAC. They're undefeated in conference play and have only one loss this year against D3 competition. Even though the CUNYAC is not the strongest conference--and I believe it's probably weaker this year than it usually is--it's not easy running the table. But this year's Baruch team has a very good shot of doing just that.

York (7-2) is probably the second-best team. They are athletic and aggressive, with a good coach. They were competitive against Baruch and lost at CCNY. They won at Staten Island and beat Lehman. They recently took visiting Ramapo to double OT before losing.

CCNY (6-2) is number three. They have some good athletes and a little size. A big problem is a lack of depth. The Beavers gave Baruch their toughest game of the year, and they beat York and Staten Island.

Staten Island (6-3) is much weaker than usual. I haven't seen them play, but this might be the weakest CSI team in the last decade--I'm not including the team about three years ago when Petosa took the year off.

Lehman (5-4) is having a down year. They returned Sekani Francis, but they're still middle of the pack. This is Schulman's weakest team in the last four years.

NYC Tech (4-4) took a big hit by losing Malave and Senior. Their best players are Otis Saylee and freshman Jamaal Hall. The Yellowjackets lack size and depth.

Medgar Evers (2-7) is not a very stable program and has had numerous coaching changes as of late.

John Jay (3-5) is struggling this year, but has a first-year coach, Charles Jackson, who has had success on the junior college level.

Hunter (1-9) also has a first-year coach in Nick Plevritis. This team hasn't been competitive for three years.

Brooklyn (1-7) hasn't been good since Prohibition.

qbsfinest

I hear Hunter is getting a transfer point guard from Tufts which is a solid program in The NESCAC- which has come to be known as the D3 ACC. Hopefully, Dason, I think is his name  can make an impact right away for Coach Plevritis and take this team well above the .500 mark. Hunter as of now has won four games the past two seasons with a ridiculous amount of losses (41). Sheesh!! Lets hope for a greater CUNY division next year.

Knightstalker

You really shouldn't promote yourself, it doesn't look good and many coaches take exception to it.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

qbsfinest

Well obviously I am not promoting myself because I do not play basketball. He is my cousin and he mentioned something about it. Lets hope he comes back to NY because I don't think he likes Boston all that much.

Rhodes Scholar

Quote from: qbsfinest on January 27, 2006, 02:12:47 AM
I hear Hunter is getting a transfer point guard from Tufts which is a solid program in The NESCAC- which has come to be known as the D3 ACC. Hopefully, Dason, I think is his name  can make an impact right away for Coach Plevritis and take this team well above the .500 mark. Hunter as of now has won four games the past two seasons with a ridiculous amount of losses (41). Sheesh!! Lets hope for a greater CUNY division next year.
Quote from: qbsfinest on January 27, 2006, 12:12:30 PM
Well obviously I am not promoting myself because I do not play basketball. He is my cousin and he mentioned something about it. Lets hope he comes back to NY because I don't think he likes Boston all that much.

Let me get this straight: He's your cousin, but you are not sure of his name?

Knightstalker

You say is name is Dacson or something and your name is Dason and you are using a tufts email address and your cousin is transferring from Tufts to Hunter?  That is a strange transfer.

qbsfinest

his name is Dacson but didnt want to really give it away cuz not sure if he is definitely goin. yes i am using his email address as well. he mentioned it to me and it is a strange transfer but what can i say if he wants to go back to NY then i guess thats his business. Not really sure the reason behind the transfer but he mentioned goin to York College. I might be a bit late tho. think he might have went to york college already. we will see what happens.

qbsfinest

by the way who do u guys think will win the CUNY conference this year. I like Baruch's athleticism and depth and the fact that they have only lost to one D3 team but i feel like they lack the talent to proceed far into the NCAA tournament if they indeed win the CUNY. And can i get some rankings as to the best conferences in the country as you guys might know them. Im really into basketball with all my family members being a part of some conference D2-D3.