MBB: Colonial States Athletic Conference

Started by Coach C, April 08, 2005, 02:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach C

Yeah, that is pretty much the pool you get when you are offering a job at less than 10k, only posting it part time AND you royally screwed the legendary prior coach.

Pat Coleman

Story posted out front this morning regarding Dzik, by the way.

heatlee

As Coach C. pointed out, who would want to coach at Cabrini?

They will probably hire someone who doesn't get it.  IT being the fact that they would be replacing a small college legend and that they are not ever going to be as successful as Coach Dzik because they will have NO alumni support.

I am now going to donate what I would have donated to Cabrini to Piedmont College, where people respect loyalty.

Cavs33

Cabrini's new coach has the program headed in the right direction, the will compete next year for a league championship.

Pat Coleman

And apparently he has no qualms about players posting? http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

heatlee

Players posting would not happen if Dzik was there.

Then again if Dzik was still at Cabrini the word compete would not be mentioned.  It would be replaced by the word WIN, and they would.

Cavs33

I love John Dzik, but that does not mean someone else can't come in and get the job done. Cabrini Basketball is going to build on Dzik's hall of fame foundation, not rebuild a program. Also, I would like to know your reasoning behind why players would not post if Dzik was there (plus who said i was a player)?

heatlee

You're correct that Cabrini basketball can be built on.  However, that being said there are not very many coaches at ANY level that can coach with John Dzik.  When I played at Cabrini we played teams that were ranked number 1 in Division II, Division III, and NAIA at some point in the season, and took them to the final minutes when talent wise we had no business being in any of those games.

As recently as the year the team went to the sweet sixteen.  They had no business being in the game with William Paterson.  William Paterson had way more talent and athletic ability.  But Dzik was the one who managed the clock and prepared them to pull off the upset.

I wish the new coach luck because he has BIG shoes to fill.  But I don't think Cabrini is lucky enough to have hired a coach that can x and o with John Dzik.

Cavs33

I think we both agree that Dzik is one of the best in the business, but at the same time I think it's important that our alumni stands behind our team and supports the new coaching staff and current players.

heatlee

Yout current coach, who is just an innocent bystander in this situation, was hired by the administration who treated a hall of fame coach without the respect he is due.  Additionally, the administration has shown it does not care about the alumni when they chose to disregarded the feelings of the alumni when the alumni sent letters to them to ask them to reconsider their decision.  Which they didn't.  The current administration has done nothing for me and I will not support an institution that treated a legend poorly, in my opinion.

You must understand that when I attended Cabrini it was much smaller and more of a family atmosphere, and John Dzik was a father figure to me and many other Cabrini athletes.  So, my question to you is, would you support an institution that treated your father in such a way?

Go Piedmont!

Pat Coleman

33, you are asking an awful lot for the alumni to stand behind something they fought bitterly (and I do not use this word accidentally) to keep from happening.

Sometimes alumni loyalty is to the institution. But if one man is so emblematic of the institution to former athletes as John Dzik was, you cannot expect that loyalty to transfer over -- not when that person was mistreated on his way out the door.

Cavs33

I totally agree that Coach Dzik was mistreated and the administration made a mistake. Coach Dzik said at our last game he will always bleed blue and white. I can promise you Coach Dzik will follow Cabrini basketball next year, and will be rooting for us, and I'm sure he would want you to as well (not for the administration, but for the players he brought in). If it wasnt for him, most of us wouldnt be here anwyway. But at the same time we have a new coach now, many returning players, and we will continue to uphold the Cabrini tradition. Hopefully our alumni will support its current team, even if you dont like the administration, you were in our place at one time and you wanted alumni support at your games. We are preparing for a season right now, and were going to move on and play for a championship, with or without alumni support.

heatlee

Actually Cavs33 we went to the NAIA final 32 both years I was there and I don't believe any of us cared if the alumni supported us or not.

I'm glad you're happy there paying almost Harvard tuition.  Best of luck this season, but I can not and will not support the school.  And if you think its just me go to http://www.keepjohndzik.com" target=_top>www.keepjohndzik.com and see how many alumni pulled their support.

Coach C

This was just a terrible travesty.  A nationally-recognized program was tarnished, a super coach taken from his team, an alumni base snubbed, and a great man sent away without any reason given and not so much as a thank you.

Someone had to coach the team next year.  They found a young guy with some experience as an assistant to coach the team as a part-timer.  History will tell if this was a good decidion, but the way this was handled does not bode well for the future of a once-proud program.

Additionally, the posting of this job as a part-time position signifies the college's reduction in support for athletics in general and men's basketball in particular.  Part-time coaches traditionally have a hard time winning in this region and it's a terrible lack of respect for the guys who play to haev thier efforts down-graded to the same resepct and suport that a club or activity on campus gets.

Good luck to you young man, but I won't support a college that thinks it is moral, ethical, or even just appropriate to treat people this way.

(Message edited by cc on June 14, 2005)

Cavs33

Heatlee, i understand what your saying, and obviously i know about the website, i was at the last game, i even have a tshirt

Coach C, about the part time coaching position, coach dzik was a part time coach, he had another job at the school mainly in admissions, atletic director, and ending as special assistant to athletic advancement to the president, those jobs was his full time position, the basketball aspect and coaching was always part time,  so everything you said doesnt make sense reagrding the part time position, the reduction, lack of support of the college, having a hard time winning, and campus support is wrong because nothing has changed, dzik was a part time coach and he won, so it can be done