MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on August 10, 2017, 09:41:22 PM
AndOne, I think he meant NCC was an isolated case, not that you were wrong about NCC's figures.

I have noticed that at a few other schools as well, but I think MOST schools present at least well-intentioned data.

Quote from: AndOne on August 10, 2017, 10:55:48 PM
If that's what Dave meant, I missed the signal and apologize.

Admittedly, I don't often criticize things NCC. But, over the years I've been perplexed several times by both always having the reported attendance figure ending in a 5 or 0, and at some reported totals with didn't seem to coincide very closely with the percentage of the stands that were filled vs the Hangar's 2,478 seats. 🤔

If anything, I think NCC figures are more often under estimated/reported as opposed to some schools which often seem to report inflated numbers.

Yep... Ypsi pointed out what I was saying. That NCC is more of an exception than a rule. It is an isolated occurrence more than a general pattern or habit.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AndOne

A post in the MIAA room indicates Hope is expecting upwards of 20 freshmen recruits, and a total of an estimated 35-40 players at tryouts.
Conceiveably, unless Hope cuts players, that means a JV team of up to 25 players.. Many schools don't even have a JV team, or have one at the beginning of the season that they have to disband during the season due to injuries, eligibility issues, and players quitting the varsity.
Wadda gonna do with a JV squad of 25?  ???  Dreams often die hard, but the Hope gym is apparently going to be home to a plethora of unrealistic expectations.

Will any CCIW institutions have numbers approaching 40 this season? And how many CCIW schools will be better than Hope, even with lesser numbers?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: AndOne on August 23, 2017, 11:20:02 PM
A post in the MIAA room indicates Hope is expecting upwards of 20 freshmen recruits, and a total of an estimated 35-40 players at tryouts.
Conceiveably, unless Hope cuts players, that means a JV team of up to 25 players.. Many schools don't even have a JV team, or have one at the beginning of the season that they have to disband during the season due to injuries, eligibility issues, and players quitting the varsity.
Wadda gonna do with a JV squad of 25?  ???  Dreams often die hard, but the Hope gym is apparently going to be home to a plethora of unrealistic expectations.

Will any CCIW institutions have numbers approaching 40 this season? And how many CCIW schools will be better than Hope, even with lesser numbers?

I'd assume you have two JV squads, then. Like Mount Union football.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WUPHF

Dreams often die hard, but the Hope gym is apparently going to be home to a plethora of unrealistic expectations.

Failure can be a good thing, especially for this generation.

Flying Dutch Fan

Hope routinely has tryouts with 35-40 guys showing up, and they do indeed make cuts.  Both Varsity and JV squads are 14-15 players max. 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

kiko

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 23, 2017, 11:22:37 PM

I'd assume you have two JV squads, then. Like Mount Union football.

Given their depth and pedigree, if the MUU JV were eligible and the Landlord inexplicably gave me a vote, I would probably rank them somewhere in the top 25...

all blues

It appears that Millikin has posted its' updated roster for 2017-18.  F/G Nathan Lovekamp, and oft-started F Logan Bader are missing from the list, along with G Chase Smith, F Levi Bailey, and F Brett Harris.  Six JC transfers and 3 frosh additions, so new (and apparently moving so fast) that none have been able to be measured for height yet, lol.

newCCIWfan

Quote from: all blues on August 29, 2017, 11:12:01 AM
It appears that Millikin has posted its' updated roster for 2017-18.  F/G Nathan Lovekamp, and oft-started F Logan Bader are missing from the list, along with G Chase Smith, F Levi Bailey, and F Brett Harris.  Six JC transfers and 3 frosh additions, so new (and apparently moving so fast) that none have been able to be measured for height yet, lol.

Millikin Twitter seems to support some of these observations --- https://twitter.com/millikinhoops?lang=en

AndOne

NCC RECRUIT

In some late action on the recruiting circuit, North Central has secured the services of a prominent player from the suburban St. Louis area. Tate Hotz, a SG/PG from Ladue Horton-Watkins HS registered and moved into his dorm room today. Last season Tate averaged 20.0 PPG on 50% shooting from the field to go along with 87% from the line. He also averaged 5.3 APG in his role of a combo guard. He had originally committed to D2 Spring Hill.

gordonmann

As mentioned earlier on this message board, Jack Sikma will be inducted into the Small College Basketball Hall of Fame this November. The folks at the SCB HOF asked if we'd write a story on Jack, and I was happy to oblige. I fell in love with sports broadcasting because of 1980s telecasts of the NBA, so I didn't want to miss a chance to talk to Sikma. He and Coach Bridges were very obliging in telling a story they are probably used to telling, but I very much enjoyed hearing it.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2017/09/sikma-hall-of-fame

I also tried to acknowledge the fact that Sikma arguably isn't "ours" from a Division III basketball perspective. Illinois Wesleyan had dual membership in the NAIA and NCAA and went to the NAIA postseason during Sikma's time in Bloomington. I asked Sikma and Bridges about the CCIW during that time and got some good stuff on the Augustana teams that finished as Division III national semifinalists twice.

augie77

That's a great article!  As an Augustana student during Sikma's four years, I watched all seven games Jack played versus the Vikings (he missed a game at Augustana freshman year due to illness).  IWU won four of the seven.  All of the games were close and basically sellouts, and the intensity of the fans at both venues was at a level seldom seen these days in Division III.

Thanks again for sharing this!

iwu70

Great piece on Sikma and Bridges.  I shared it with all my TITAN friends and comrades on my FB feed as well.

Congrats to Jack on the Hall of Fame. 

iwu'70

Titan Q

gordonmann

Thanks to someone for correcting my spelling mistake and doing it privately. :)

Titan Q, Jack asked me if I knew you. Your fame spreads far and wide.

Pat Coleman

The only time I ever met Jack Sikma, I was introduced by Q!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.