D3Baseball.com All-Americans

Started by Boysofsummer21, May 22, 2012, 07:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boysofsummer21

Ok I was very glad to see Chris Perry make it (he deserved to!!) but 2 from BSU and no one else??? Really?? Personally I think that the South Region got jobbed!

BigPoppa

Quote from: Boysofsummer21 on May 22, 2012, 07:24:24 PM
Ok I was very glad to see Chris Perry make it (he deserved to!!) but 2 from BSU and no one else??? Really?? Personally I think that the South Region got jobbed!

Who would you take off to place more South guys on?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Will2Win

I think there are numerous OF that Pendergraft could replace if the criteria is based on statistical analysis...won't name any specifics out of respect, just my honest opinion.

With that being said, I'm sure there are a handful of other players you could make the same argument for. Not an easy task picking the AA teams. All told, these guys had fantastic years, regardless of the post season accolades they did or did not recieve.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Will2Win on May 23, 2012, 04:06:47 PM
I think there are numerous OF that Pendergraft could replace if the criteria is based on statistical analysis...won't name any specifics out of respect, just my honest opinion.

With that being said, I'm sure there are a handful of other players you could make the same argument for. Not an easy task picking the AA teams. All told, these guys had fantastic years, regardless of the post season accolades they did or did not recieve.
The one thing that D3sports.com does on their all-American teams (in all sports) is to fill the normal complement of players on a team.

There are usually 3 starters and 1 reliever. A DH is selected, and a UTL player is selected because there are so many times in a game when a strategic substitution is an integral part of the game.  There are the correct number of position players (not 5 OF's and 2 1B's.) Rarely there is a tie in the balloting in which you really cannot distinguish the better player.

Will2Win

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 23, 2012, 05:27:45 PM
Quote from: Will2Win on May 23, 2012, 04:06:47 PM

The one thing that D3sports.com does on their all-American teams (in all sports) is to fill the normal complement of players on a team.

There are usually 3 starters and 1 reliever. A DH is selected, and a UTL player is selected because there are so many times in a game when a strategic substitution is an integral part of the game.  There are the correct number of position players (not 5 OF's and 2 1B's.) Rarely there is a tie in the balloting in which you really cannot distinguish the better player.

Got ya, I have followed D3sports.com for a couple years now. I appreciate the hard work you guys do to cover D3 athletics as well as you do. Was not trying to knock the site...just answering BigPoppa's question. Again, thanks for the D3 coverage.

Just Bill

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 23, 2012, 02:26:31 PM
Quote from: Boysofsummer21 on May 22, 2012, 07:24:24 PM

Who would you take off to place more South guys on?

I've noticed very few people ever answer that question...
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

badgerwarhawk

I would replace...

Apolinar De La Cruz.... BA: .384, HITS: 66, RUNS: 26, RBI: 46, 2B: 8, 3B: 0, HR: 1, FLD %: .988

with

Marty Herum...BA: .400, HITS: 82, RUNS: 38, RBI: 58, 2B: 18, 3B: 3, HR: 5, SLG%: .580, OB%: .511, FLD %: 984

He's statistically better in every category with the exception of fielding percentage and both are freshman.  Just my unbiased opinion. ;)
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Ralph Turner

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on May 24, 2012, 11:13:51 AM
I would replace...

Apolinar De La Cruz.... BA: .384, HITS: 66, RUNS: 26, RBI: 46, 2B: 8, 3B: 0, HR: 1, FLD %: .988

with

Marty Herum...BA: .400, HITS: 82, RUNS: 38, RBI: 58, 2B: 18, 3B: 3, HR: 5, SLG%: .580, OB%: .511, FLD %: 984

He's statistically better in every category with the exception of fielding percentage and both are freshman.  Just my unbiased opinion. ;)
Looks like we have a couple of good first basemen in the pipeline.

Thru 47 games (Regionals) for de la Cruz (48 games for Herum), de la Cruz has more BB's (20 vs  6) slg percentage is .443 vs. .590 and OB%. 447 vs .418 and 9 of 11 on stolen bases (versus 2 of 2).  Current Fld%  .988 vs .984.

(I think that you misread UWW's Keller's OBA at .511.)

I like them both.   ;)

BigPoppa

Ralph- Are you insinuating that the SOUTH will rise again?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

PNeal7

I do not know who I would replace him with, but I am baffled by the 2nd Team All-American SS selection. While he clearly had a good offensive and defensive year, he finished with 0 HR's and 27 RBI's. Now, I can see someone getting on the AA Team with those numbers if they were a base stealing machine; however, he only had 11 SB's on the year. The kid that got Honorable Mention SS finished with a higher batting average (.380 vs .362), more HR's by a landslide (14 vs 0), and RBI's (49 vs 27). He also scored more runs, but that certainly has a direct correlation to number of at bats, hitters behind you, etc. I have seen kids in the USA South have better years offensively and not even make the All Conference Team (ex: Jesse Henry, Shenandoah, 2010).

2nd Team All American Selection:
SS John Adornetto, Cortland State  Jr.  .362  40  50  9  2  0  27  11  .963
Honorable Mention All American Selection:
SS Corey Marchant, Manchester  Jr.  .380  53  73  7  2  14  49  6  .937

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 24, 2012, 12:34:28 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on May 24, 2012, 11:13:51 AM
I would replace...

with

Looks like we have a couple of good first basemen in the pipeline.

Thru 47 games (Regionals) for de la Cruz (48 games for Herum), de la Cruz has more BB's (20 vs  6) slg percentage is .443 vs. .590 and OB%. 447 vs .418 and 9 of 11 on stolen bases (versus 2 of 2).  Current Fld%  .988 vs .984.

(I think that you misread UWW's Keller's OBA at .511.)

I like them both.   ;)

You are correct, my bad, thanks for the correction.  FWIW, I'm not suggesting that DeLaCruz wasn't worthy of the recognition.  Having never seen him play and having watched Herum for the majority of his games this year surely influences my decision. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 24, 2012, 03:09:36 PM
Ralph- Are you insinuating that the SOUTH will rise again?
I think that this may have been a year when there were no "stand-out players" (except Maxwell) from the South.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: PNeal7 on May 24, 2012, 03:12:29 PM
I do not know who I would replace him with, but I am baffled by the 2nd Team All-American SS selection. While he clearly had a good offensive and defensive year, he finished with 0 HR's and 27 RBI's. Now, I can see someone getting on the AA Team with those numbers if they were a base stealing machine; however, he only had 11 SB's on the year. The kid that got Honorable Mention SS finished with a higher batting average (.380 vs .362), more HR's by a landslide (14 vs 0), and RBI's (49 vs 27). He also scored more runs, but that certainly has a direct correlation to number of at bats, hitters behind you, etc. I have seen kids in the USA South have better years offensively and not even make the All Conference Team (ex: Jesse Henry, Shenandoah, 2010).

With the respect to Fielding Average, I don't think that the percentage number reflects the diffference in real quality.

I look at the inverse of that equation, the number of errors per chance.

Adornetto had 7 errors in 189 chances which is 1 per 27.

Merchant had 17 errors in 271 chances which rounds to 1 error in 16 chances.

Up the middle, I like defense!

In fact, I would prefer the stat to be changed to reflect the errors to chance ratio.

1:16 is  .937

1:27 is  .963

1:40 in .975

See how much different that the numbers "look" for the quality "gained"!

As for HR's, Manchester hit 34 on the season (0.69 HR/g) , their opponents hit 24.

Cortland hit 18 HR's and opponents hit 6. 

In fact Manchester looks like a hitters' park. Manchester played 19 games at home, 20 away and 10 games on neutral fields.  Merchant hit 9 of his 14 HR's at home (0.47 HR /g at home).  He hit 5 HR's in 30 games away from home (0.17 HR/ g).

Manchester hit (by my count) 15 HRs in 19 games (0.79 HR/g) Manchester foes hit 13 HR's at Manchester in those 19 games.  Away from home,  Manchester hit 19 Hrs in 30 games (0.63 HR/game).

PNeal7

I also appreciate defense up the middle as well; however, I would still chose Merchant. Merchant still had a solid fielding percentage, as it is not like he was sub .900. While Adornetto clearly had an outstanding defensive season, that fact that Merchant still fielded fairly solid, with offensive numbers that blow Adornetto out, forces me to pick Merchant. I do understand the idea of a "hitters park," as I for years have said Shenandoah University's park is a cracker jack box to left field, allowing average hitters to have inflated stats when playing against lesser quality opponents. So, hypothetically speaking, say only 50% of Merchant's HRs would have gotten out in other parks, he still finishes with 9 HR; which is 9 more than Adornetto. Either way, congrats to all the kids on the AA Teams.

PS - If you want to see how much I care about defense up the middle, check out the 2B we have signed for our Valley League Team this summer (Josh Gardnier, FR @ Radord :: 252 Chances, 102 Putouts & 146 Assists, only 4 errors)

CCIWFAN6

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 24, 2012, 08:55:52 PM
Quote from: PNeal7 on May 24, 2012, 03:12:29 PM

With the respect to Fielding Average, I don't think that the percentage number reflects the diffference in real quality.

I look at the inverse of that equation, the number of errors per chance.

Adornetto had 7 errors in 189 chances which is 1 per 27.

Merchant had 17 errors in 271 chances which rounds to 1 error in 16 chances.

Up the middle, I like defense!

In fact, I would prefer the stat to be changed to reflect the errors to chance ratio.

1:16 is  .937

1:27 is  .963

1:40 in .975

See how much different that the numbers "look" for the quality "gained"!

As for HR's, Manchester hit 34 on the season (0.69 HR/g) , their opponents hit 24.

Cortland hit 18 HR's and opponents hit 6. 

In fact Manchester looks like a hitters' park. Manchester played 19 games at home, 20 away and 10 games on neutral fields.  Merchant hit 9 of his 14 HR's at home (0.47 HR /g at home).  He hit 5 HR's in 30 games away from home (0.17 HR/ g).

Manchester hit (by my count) 15 HRs in 19 games (0.79 HR/g) Manchester foes hit 13 HR's at Manchester in those 19 games.  Away from home,  Manchester hit 19 Hrs in 30 games (0.63 HR/game).

It is hard to look at fielding percentage or errors per chance as a real indicator of defensive value.  Defense is a very hard statistic to accurately value, but the thing that jumps out to me here is that Merchant got to 82 more balls than Adornetto did.  That is considerably more opportunities.  Are these plays that Adornetto would have gotten to?  I don't know the answer to that question, but it begs the question, doesn't it.

The problem with looking at the error statistic is it is a judgement stat.  Maybe Merchant has a much tougher scorer, while Adornetto's scorer tends to default the way of a hit.

I am not trying to say either is a better defender, as I have not had the opportunity to see either play.  However, IMO using the error stat is a very flawed way of examining the data.