MBB: Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Nikki, March 03, 2005, 01:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikki

Yeah Bethany's defanitly right on that. I was just watched Elms practice and they werent hitting too many shots.

mustang23

Elms is still a decent team though. Yes Salem is better but Salem also tends to play down to their competition. And Salem has not played too many hard out of league teams let me remind you....I will root for the underdog, but i highly doubt that Salem will blow them out.

Bigdaddy

Yeah...the reason I said what I said was because of the loss I saw to MCLA....Potsdam blew them out.

mustang23

Bigdaddy

Was anyone at the Salem game that can give us some pointers on what happened...I went to the Salem site hoping for some info not realizing that their website is still in the stone ages.  

How about a write up by someone?

bethany

I was at the game...and yes it was a good game, but I don't think I can give you any pointers. If Potsdam is a dirty team, depending on the refs, you might have an easy game. Salem plays a good game and they play clean. Elms played dirty tonight and got away with it in the first half. Salem stepped up their game in the second half, fighting for the win.

mustang23

The way to beat salem is to play physical with them

bethany

Physical...Dirty...samething...but Salem knows how to handle it and eventually the fouls get called on the right team. Salem is a strong second half team, they can always come back.

goldenpipes

Dirty? Elms?

The only thing that was dirty was the refs. Salem was lucky when it came to the calls....the refs called 14 second half fouls on Elms and 4 on Salem.

#34 for SSC committed at least three offensive fouls that weren't called to boot....but that's home cooking for a game that should have been at a neutral site.

Honestly, this was a great game that was really tight all second half. Elms led by one at the break and at most by 7, and Salem led by 6. SSC made the plays when they had to- plus the Vikes made their freebies to escape.  

Elms gets major props for playing a great game and having a great season and playing a very good team all-out on their home court. The Blazers have come a long way from 2-21 four years ago...they'll be a force next year- just check their non-conference results.  

Good luck to Salem in the second round.

Hoops Fan

I guess Salem found out Elms was a little better than they expected.  I was going to post yesterday and combat the "blowout" theory, but Elms is also streaky enough that if I had done that, they would have crumbled like a Turkish building in an earthquake.

Good win for Salem, but they will have to step up the game to pre-Christmas form after the long drive to Potsdam.

Potsdam has nine guys who play pretty evenly and spread the scoring among all of them.  Like like to run and wear teams out.  It could be a lot like that early UMASS-Boston loss, except will a team that can actually play.

I know Salem likes to run too, so this would be a great game to go watch if it weren't so God-awfully far from everything.

MSN maps lists both the shortest and quickest routes from Salem to Potsdam through VErmont and involving a Lake Champlain Ferry... that is a bit rediculous.

Bigdaddy

Yeah...Potsdam is fast and physical. If the two big guys from Salem are light weights they may have problems. Potsdam is a team that lives in the weight room.  

Potsdam has 9 guys that all want to run all night so it should be a fun game if Salem has the legs to run with them. Having Salems two big guys on the floor will give you an advantage on interior defense...but can they run the break all night?  

Potsdam does not get much love from officials so it shouldnt be any problems with home cooking. Potsdam is big, strong, and fast. And they sub constantly. Its often hard for other teams to even keep up with knowing who they are defending.  

What will be different about Salem than other teams Potsdam plays is that your Ife can play our Eldon straight up...wheras most teams need to double and triple him down.  

My prediction is this....Your little guy Victor will have a good game...your power forward will have a good game. Your all stars will be frustrated and shoot poorly. Your shooting guard and small forward...both great shooters from the sounds of things will be meeting up with Jim Connely and Edane Barton...shut down defenders. And Edane will make someone run all night(whomever is defending him) I am guessing Bloom will pull the assignment of Edane Barton and from the things I hear he will need to call for help all night. He will need some great ankles and knees to even get a good look at some of the craziness that Edane brings.  

Your big guys will probably frustrate Potsdams normally dominant inside game. But Potsdam is bringing a busload of three point shooters so it shouuld be good times for all.  

I am looking for the game to be even at half time and Potsdam to win by 13. Potsdam's power forward CHristian Turner will probably foul out but he will cause havoc all the time he is in. He is a monster on defense and essentially plays like a 6'7-6'8 small forward. He is fast and aggravating and angry and hyperactive all at once and generally gets under the skin of everyone on the opposing team. The refs tend to hate him too though...so we shall see.  

What do you Salemites think. We of course have not seen each other..so its hard to know.

bethany

I will agree with you that it is hard to know how each team will play when they meet on Saturday night. Both Salem and Potsdam are equally good teams, or they wouldn't be where they are. Salem will have to step up their game and play like they did against Framingham on the 26th. Knowing that officals seem to treat Potsdam the same way Salem gets treated when they play at home, this should make for a really good match up. Its a shame its so far away, because  this is a game I'd like to be at.  

As long as Bloom, Reid, and Victor play at the top of their game and are consistant, they'll give Potsdam a run for their money. But Potsdam has a height advantage on Salem, which might cause a slight problem.

I can't predict whos going to win and I don't think that I want to either, because as I said before both teams have a fair shot and they are equally good. Its all up to how well they play on Saturday night.

(Message edited by ballacutie14 on March 4, 2005)

Bigdaddy

How often does Bloom play an accomplished defender that is athletic enough to stay with him all night? How about Reid?

We have a player that is a lot like Victor only taller. So I would say that Victor will probably play well. But I think that Redi and Bloom will both be frustrated all night. They wont be used to how fast and strong Potsdam is. Potsdam is also quite physical and very muscular at most positions.

mustang23

Yes, if i recall one during salem's league contests Bloom struggled against westfield st...They covered him with a 6'2 wingman who was pretty athletic....At westfield he recorded 0 points....But anyways i dont see a great hieght advantage for Potsdam.....Salem starts 6'9,6'8 and 6'5 and another 6'5 and 6'6 big guy off the bench in Rider and Gentiliotti....But i think Potsdam will win......I think reid will have a good game, he is a senior who will not back down from anything...But for the rest it is up to Potsdam

bethany

Bloom was also suffering an ankle injury for a while there, he sat out of the MCLA game. Hes recovered quite nicely and now is back his powerhouse self.